• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikhaildg

Registered
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums and know enough about computers to be dangerous but i am having a problem that i cannot resolve. i have a i7-2700k clocked at 4.3 a gtx 780 OC and 8gbs of ddr3 2133mghz memory and for some reason my games are dropping frames bad unless i turn the settings to low or medium. I was told that with the rig i have i should be able to run games like wow at ultra with no problem but that is not the case i drop down to 40 or bellow FPS frequently within wow. Anyone got any ideas what could be going on. I know its not my HD because i have a Samsung EVO SSD so thats def not the issue. Please help, any feedback would be appreciated.

What resolution are you playing at?

And what OS? And what video drivers?

Last edited:
It seems more and more the way graphics drivers are done is that they create a driver designed to work best with a specific title, and card combo, so using the most recent driver may not cater well to your 780, which is a couple of generations old.

I would try using a couple of other driver versions, do some more unigine and WOW runs, and see how it impacts performance.

@atminside i ran Unigine Heaven and i got 60FPS steady with the card sitting at 57 degrees C. @mokrunka resolution is at 1920x1080 OS is windows 10 and the driver verion is 368.39

If Heaven is running fine (which it is) the issue lies with either the game or a game/driver compatibility.
Is Windows 10 a fresh install or an upgrade from a previous Windows?

I was only suggesting to check the drivers first, because it's less of a pain than a full OS reinstall. And if it doesn't work, you can still reinstall the OS, and haven't lost anything. Just my opinion, but I'd avoid reinstalling windows if at all possible (at least not without doing a clean driver install first).

so buy windows 10 and reinstall? I keep thinking its a ram issue but now i am starting to think the problem is somewhere else

I think we're all agreed that's it's likely not a hardware issue. I would start with OS/driver troubleshooting first.

Yeah, you may have picked drivers too old to be compatible with Windows 10. Like I said, this will be a trial and error thing. I've done it with some success on my 690. When I install the newer drivers for the latest games, sometimes BF4 will not perform as well, so I'll have to roll back a couple of versions.

The cleanest way to troubleshoot it would be like ATM said, and reinstall windows, but if you're like me, I just absolutely abhor having to do that because it's such a pain. So, either try some more driver versions (make sure you do custom installation and select 'clean install'), or just bite the bullet and install a fresh copy of win 10.

Edit: Is this a new problem? Or did you notice a specific point in time when it started happening?

You're looking at an OS which was used for (insert amount of time here) through hardware updates and driver updates.
Then you upgrade the OS to a new version, it's very easy for a problem to arise here.

Just bite the bullet and do the reinstall so we're not spinning our wheels for nothing.

okay when i do an OS re-install will get back to you guys. Need to get a copy of windows 10. I got the free upgrade Microsoft was giving out for a while. so i need a brand new copy of 10

No, you can use the key for your current install to reinstall.
You just need to download the installer from Microsoft and write down your key.

oh dang okay didnt know that. Thanks for the info

- - - Updated - - -

i will do the install after i get home from work. Thanks for the help so far guys. Been trying to narrow down the problem for a while now

Back