• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need suggestion of ocing my e8400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eXcalibur

yesterday i ordered parts from new egg to build a new computer, they didn't arrived yet, but can anyone give me a general idea of to what degree should i oc my cpu to?

here's the spec of my soon to be built computer, (assuming that none are DOA)
-ASUS P5Q SE PLUS LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
-OCZ Gold 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
-Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
-Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit
-OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
-EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
-Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
-Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

with the antec 900, should i get an add-on heat sink for my cpu or will it be enough just by the case itself? considering the heat that will be genereated after oc, how should i correctly oc the cpu?

sorry for the long post, this is my first time building a computer, sort of nervous to be honest lol, suggestions/opinions anyone?

for a heatsink, get the xigmatek hdt-s1283 and the backplate. Also, what is your goal for the computer?

My e8400 runs smooth as silk at 3.6GHz, on slightly less than stock volts (1.184).. I'm satisfied with this, but could probably push it quite a bit higher.

will an add-on heat sink be necessary? the antec 900 have 4 fans total; around what temperature will my system be at without an add-on heat sink? i plan using my computer for average gaming, nothing like crysis

@killem
thanks for the article

Back