• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to replace "FRIED" pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seebs

Fronting as a Mod Member
Well... it's time to buy the hold-me-over-until-my-gaming-rig-gets-built unit now that my every day PC got fried.
I've got it down to 2 options....

Option 1 -> Tigerdirect barebones kit @ $299.99 Here
* MSI 785GM-P45 Motherboard
* AMD ADX635WFK42GI Athlon II X4 635 Quad Core Processor
* MSI R5450-MD1G ATI Radeon HD 5450 Video Card
* Cooler Master RC-310-RWN1-GP Elite 310 Mid-Tower Case
* 350 Watts Power Supply
RAM is not included, so I found this one
G.Skill Model F3-10666CL9D-2GBNQ @ 49.99 (Newegg)
That brings the total to $349.99 + S&H ~= $365 delivered.

Pros
- I get a 1GB 5450 -> Not the best card, but more than enough for light gaming.
- Comes pre assembled so less work for me.

Cons
- PSU seems to be on the low/cheap side. Afraid it may cause damage in the long run.
- Comes pre assembled so I don't get to put it together myself.
- Only 2 GB of 1333 RAM

Option 2 -> Newegg hand-picked parts @ 346.99
* SILVERSTONE PS05-B --> Link
* AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz --> Link
* ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO AM3 --> Link
* G.Skill Ripjaws Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM 2x2GB 1600 + Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Combo deal. --> Link
This one as it is comes out to $346.99 + S&H ~= 364.99

This one doesn't include a GPU. The MoBo has on-board video that should be more than enough for now.

Pros
- I get 4GB of faster RAM.
- I get a better MoBo
- I get a better PSU? Not sure if the ANTEC will be any better than the other one.

Cons
- No GPU
- Slower clock Athlon II x4. The one in option 1 is 2.9MHz vs 2.6MHz in option 2.

Now for the questions:

I'm in the process of pricing out and about to start buying components for my main rig. That one will be in the neighborhood of about U$2.5K not including waterworks. I'm not made of money, so needless to say that any money I spend on the replacement PC will take away from my main rig's budget (or at least delay the completion a bit).
And with that in mind; let's say I was to up the budget an extra $50, so we could have $400 + S&H.

What would you recommend?
* Upgrade the RAM in Option 1 and be done with it.
* Get the best GPU that you can with the $50 bucks and be done with it.

I have the 3 HDDs from the dead PC, those will be more than enough for now.
I also have a GeForce 6800 GS and a SoundBlaster Audigy 2zs that survived the death of my old PC.
The GPU in option 1 is much better than the 6800; however, I do like the parts in option 2 better and would like to know if the 6800 would be compatible with the EVO MoBo from option 2. I'm thinking NOT, but one can hope.
* Is the 6800 compatible with the EVO MoBo?

And then there is the audio. The Audigy is a decent low level sound card, but I'm thinking the on-board audio on the MoBo would be better.
* Which do you figure is a better audio option?

Cheers
Sebas

Honestly, if this is just to keep you going, I wouldn't even bother getting a desktop. I would just get a cheap $300-400 netbook to last you until your gaming PC gets built. Plus, after it's built, you still have a netbook that you can take around with you when you're not at home.

Honestly, if this is just to keep you going, I wouldn't even bother getting a desktop. I would just get a cheap $300-400 netbook to last you until your gaming PC gets built. Plus, after it's built, you still have a netbook that you can take around with you when you're not at home.

I thought about that, but my train of thought was that once the gaming rig is ready I could just set this one up as a folding rig (with a couple improvements). Plus I already have a laptop.

In that case, I'd go with option 1. Inclusion of a GPU would be the deciding factor for me.

The only thing that stops me from going that way is the PSU. There is no mention of brand on the kit. It just says 350W PSU and I'm afraid it will end up being a crappy one.

Edit: I just looked that GPU over at newegg and it sells for $66.99 and it has a $20 MIR so it's perfect.
Getting that GPU will end up right at budget after getting the $20 back from MSI. :)
Going that way gets me:
1. Better MoBo
2. Better RAM
3. Better PSU
4. Better looking case. With better airflow too.
It's decided. Option 2 + ATI HD 5450 for $430 + S&H before $20 MIR. That's just 10 over budget so I'm ok with that.

I guess I was so involved in this (and pissed off at having fried my PC) that I could not see the forest for the trees. Ordering stuff tomorrow when I get paid.
Cheers
Sebas

Last edited:
Back