• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need to upgrade my CPU - which CPU is the best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The current pricing of 1090 and 1100T's is about the same as a new FX processor. Pending the FX model, sometimes they're more. Good luck finding one also.
I would consider a 4 or 6 core FX before I spent big bucks on hard to find, older gen CPU's.......unless you're a bencher.

i found someone selling his Phenom II 955 black edition, i can get it for around 70-75 bucks! unfortunately, i cannot find a 1090T :( is the 955 reasonable? thanks trents and caddi :)

And it's only a 95w processor. Your meager board can handle that with no problem.

@caddi, for gaming purposes only and other apps. now i am torn between 2 processors. are CPUs built for life? is it ok to buy a "second hand" CPU? also, i am planning to backup my file so i need an external drive, is the seagate slim plus 1TB ok? or i should consider a different brand like WD? thank you so much guys and merry christmas! ;)

@caddi, for gaming purposes only and other apps. now i am torn between 2 processors. are CPUs built for life? is it ok to buy a "second hand" CPU? also, i am planning to backup my file so i need an external drive, is the seagate slim plus 1TB ok? or i should consider a different brand like WD? thank you so much guys and merry christmas! ;)

Nothing wrong with used CPUs

Yes WD is best brand for mechanical HDDs right now

then i would go with phenom II X4 955 hoping that it will unlock 2 more cores...lol :) may be better to ask the original owner if he unlocked both cores already and if it is stable.

internal: WD blue caviar and external would be WD 1TB as backup drive

There are no cores to unlock on a 955. There never was. It's 4 cores and 4 cores only.

i see Mr.Scott...i checked some reviews online and looks like FX 6300 is better that 8350 as far as CPU and money wise. as Trents posted, he wouldn't recommend FX CPUs to this mobo as board was released prior to FX models. i can definitely find 6300, question is, will this work properly on my Asus M5A88-V evo? anyone has the same setup as mine? thanks!

Even if you could unlock there is no garuntee it would work. Just take our advice and get a 6300 man

Doesnt matter if the board was realeased before FX models it should still work with latest bios.

now it boils down to 2 CPUs - 6300 or 8350? there's a slight difference but considering performance, durability and future games? running a 6 core proc is good but ofcourse, having an 8 core proc is better...right? no guarantee as per Trent that this will work properly using my mobo :(

Both are supported by your board. The difference will be 'can your board actually run a 8350 without killing itself or throttling'.
The 6300 is a non issue, that will run just fine.
You could always run the 8350 on 6 cores if your board couldn't handle it. The choice is yours.

I would not use that Asus M5A88-V EVO with an FX CPU. It is listed as being compatible wit the certain models of the FX series but I wonder if you will get full performance if you go that route. Listed FX CPUs will work in that board but will you have down-throttling or other erratic behavior? The 8xx chipset was developed before the FX seriex came out.
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A88V_EVO/HelpDesk_CPU/

I have to agree with this. I tried running FX cpu's with 890 chipset boards and it was a pretty futile endeavor. These were high end boards too.

I have to agree with this. I tried running FX cpu's with 890 chipset boards and it was a pretty futile endeavor. These were high end boards too.
Depends on the board and the chip.
I had no issue on my 890FXA-UD5 black socket board. No where's near as good a clocker as my Sabo, but I had no throttling issues.

Hello All,

Good Day! Hope all is well. I am planning to upgrade my current CPU (athLon II X3 455 3.3GHz) using Asus M5A88-V EVO. should i go for FX series CPUs or Phenom II? Thanks!
I was going to get the 9590 until I realized an H100i won't even cool this thing. That being said I'm currently running a mildly OC'd 8320 @ 4.2

Back