• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Never overclocked before, need help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Vexus can you give us a picture of your bios under that "Power" tab on top?
2.2V cpu voltage is going to kill your chip very soon! Max safe voltage for that cpu is around 1.4-1.45 maybe even 1.5 with good cooling.

Hopefully you have some settings under that Power tab in bios to change this.

Vexus can you give us a picture of your bios under that "Power" tab on top?
2.2V cpu voltage is going to kill your chip very soon! Max safe voltage for that cpu is around 1.4-1.45 maybe even 1.5 with good cooling.

Hopefully you have some settings under that Power tab in bios to change this.

Erm...here... :confused:

My computer never seemed hot or anything, don't know if that means anything.

Attachments

• 20120820_122842.jpg
    20120820_122842.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
That's a ruler at the top, its kinda wedged in there, its probably like 1 foot and 2-4 inches...4 being maybe too much. (edge to edge)

if you need a better picture, let me know.

Attachments

• 20120820_133321.jpg
    20120820_133321.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 38
Looks like Micro-ATX for me. It's just mounted the other way around.

Those factory built PCs don't allow Overclocking. Those factory PC mobo bios's are usually stripped to the bone. Even if you did overclock the chipset might get very unhappy.
Why would computer OEMs add overclocking support? These are aimed at Average Joes. Average Joes compete with potatoes in Overclocking Knowledge (no offense intended, just to illustrate). Imagine your Average Joe decided to tinker with the BIOS and finds a "Core Voltage" setting, and he uses icebob's logic of moar volts moar speed. He bumps the voltage to the sky, somewhere around 2.6v and successfully fries that chip. This guy would get veery angry at the company because his computer is now a mere paperweight. And the company's reputation will go to the floor. It's easier, and safer, to give them a stripped to the bone BIOS that just lets you set the RTC time and boot devices, since that's what an Avg. Joe will do.

Last edited:
Ok, i just measured, the case is about 14.5 in across, and the mobo is about 9.5 in across and vertical. i forgot to check the psu, but maybe you can estimate based on that? let me know.

Also, the nubs that sold me this thing didn't mention that the bios settings were nearly useless on this mobo...next time i'm gonna call up my brother and we'll build a desktop together.

Foxcon + HP & Overlocking = Big epic fail.

Buy another mainboard, ow wait. That doesn't fit in the HP case, Then also buy a new case, **** the PSU doesn't fit! Ow crap it's HP.

Foxcon + HP & Overlocking = Big epic fail.

Buy another mainboard, ow wait. That doesn't fit in the HP case, Then also buy a new case, **** the PSU doesn't fit! Ow crap it's HP.

Well I mean, they were suggesting I get a new psu anyway, so maybe getting a case would be a good idea too.

Plus, I hate having these HP stickers all over it, and taking them off might get messy and make it look even worse.

Yep it's a mATX board. So basically you'd need to buy a solid mATX board, PSU and an aftermarket cpu cooler.
If you can find a decent modular PSU for a reasonable price, I'd go with that, since your case seems bit tight and it would offer more cable management goodness (use the cables you need), but if nothing decent is available a non-modular PSU will do just fine. An efficient 550-600W should be plenty.

For the board I'd look at something that supports AM3+, has a heatsink covering mosfets around CPU, but those are rare on mATX boards.

You can read up on good coolers on the forum.

But if I were you, I'd also buy a new case and buy an ATX board instead of mATX since you will benefit way more from those when overclocking.

Tell us your budget btw.

I'm not sure of my budget just yet, I have to go to the bank tomorrow, close a bank account, then open up another one somewhere else...
lets just say my budget is that i want something cheap, but good, atm...

yea, i caught the 2.2 cpu voltage, much to high.
I get the feeling he needs a new $50.00 case and the mobo trents has linked for a starter.

yea, i caught the 2.2 cpu voltage, much to high.
I get the feeling he needs a new $50.00 case and the mobo trents has linked for a starter.

I have that mobo bookmarked ;) just need a case and a psu. (need recommendations, as I have no experience with this sort of thing.)

Edit: Brb, gotta go run some errands

Last edited:
Back