• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build. Advice please :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Based on the opinion of several English posters here, Scan.co.uk is generally regarded as the place to shop at over overclockers.co.uk. Much, much better customer service from what I've heard.

Thanks, I'll be sure to check this out! :D

Should be flawless :thup:

Just shop around for your best prices on parts, let us know how the build goes!

Thanks so much, I'll shop about for good prices. Apart from the overclockers, scan, ebuyer and amazon are there any other sites worth while having a look at?

Thanks again. :thup:

Highly doubt it's 20%. More like 10%, if that.

Given the conflicting advice, and my budget, I think I'll just stick with what I've got for now, thanks anyway dudleycpa :)

Thanks so much, I'll shop about for good prices. Apart from the overclockers, scan, ebuyer and amazon are there any other sites worth while having a look at?

Thanks again. :thup:

Someone from the UK will have to advise on that, but those are definitely the main four.

Quick Google search found this list.

Way better GPU in (and a good enough CPU cooler that you can OC the 6300 past 6350 levels):

Given this, you can probably fit a Intel CPU in there and drop the GPU back down to a GTX760. - Nah, Intel build is over by 50 pounds.

Capture.PNG

Also, my buddy (who knows a little bit more about PC building than I do but still not a huge amount) pointed out that I might want to go for a 600w PSU as opposed to a 550w.

Thoughts?

95W CPU, assuming you heavily OC it, say 150W.

TDP of a 7970 is 230W. AMD has a +20% power limit on it, so the card can draw a max of 230*1.2=276W

Everything else in the build would draw around, say 40W.

That's a grand total of 466W. Thing is, most of this is all on the 12V rail. So if you go to the page for that PSU on Scan, it says that the PSU has a total of 44A on the 12V rail. 44A*12V=528W, so that's plenty of power for this build.
-------------
Comparing the two builds.

Swapped the GPU from a GTX760 to a Radeon HD 7970, that's pretty much a straight upgrade.
Swapped the FX-6350 for a FX-6300. Same CPU, different stock clock speed. The FX-6350 might OC a bit better. However, the difference in price in the US is only $10, more than worth it. Difference in price in the UK is £16.9=$26.11, less worth it when you can just overclock.
Swapped the Hyper212 Evo (midrange) for a Thermalright Silver Arrow (very high end air cooling). Straight upgrade.
RAM and HDD are basically the same.
Swapped the PSU from the 550W Seasonic G series to the 550W XFX, this is a bit of a downgrade. You'll never tell the difference though, the XFX is actually made by Seasonic and is probably identical to one of their other 550W lines, I think the M12SII. Having a quality PSU is very important (since it's connected to everything, it has the potential to kill everything), so reviews to back up your choices are never, ever a bad thing: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=225
The Fractal Design Define R3 is a MUCH nicer case than the Xigmatic. Optimized for quietness over noise, but still provides sufficient cooling.

Last edited:
95W CPU, assuming you heavily OC it, say 150W.

TDP of a 7970 is 230W. AMD has a +20% power limit on it, so the card can draw a max of 230*1.2=276W

Everything else in the build would draw around, say 40W.

That's a grand total of 466W. Thing is, most of this is all on the 12V rail. So if you go to the page for that PSU on Scan, it says that the PSU has a total of 44A on the 12V rail. 44A*12V=528W, so that's plenty of power for this build.
-------------
Comparing the two builds.

Swapped the GPU from a GTX760 to a Radeon HD 7970, that's pretty much a straight upgrade.
Swapped the FX-6350 for a FX-6300. Same CPU, different stock clock speed. The FX-6350 might OC a bit better. However, the difference in price in the US is only $10, more than worth it. Difference in price in the UK is £16.9=$26.11, less worth it when you can just overclock.
Swapped the Hyper212 Evo (midrange) for a Thermalright Silver Arrow (very high end air cooling). Straight upgrade.
RAM and HDD are basically the same.
Swapped the PSU from the 550W Seasonic G series to the 550W XFX, this is a bit of a downgrade. You'll never tell the difference though, the XFX is actually made by Seasonic and is probably identical to one of their other 550W lines, I think the M12SII. Having a quality PSU is very important (since it's connected to everything, it has the potential to kill everything), so reviews to back up your choices are never, ever a bad thing: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=225
The Fractal Design Define R3 is a MUCH nicer case than the Xigmatic. Optimized for quietness over noise, but still provides sufficient cooling.

Brilliant, I'm tempted just to trust your judgement and buy this build. Will it all be okay in terms of compatibility?

Thanks so much by the way!:thup:

There isnt any better at this site for putting together a system at the best price than Knu. He doesnt make incompatible builds, LOL! :)

There isnt any better at this site for putting together a system at the best price than Knu. He doesnt make incompatible builds, LOL! :)

Ahah, okay then. I didn't mean to offend :p

Cheers guys! Looks like that settles it! :D

Back