• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Mechwarrior game

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
PPC assaults aren't that hard to deal with. Just stay mobile and chip away at their armor and you'll be fine. Alpha blasts usually overheat most buiilds.

I'm more pissed off at AC-40 builds than anything.

AC-40 builds have significant downsides (even before the dumb heat changes). You have to be right on top of your opponents, and if it's a hex stalker or anything with ER-PPC's, you're toast. The only viable AC-40 builds are:

1. Dual AC-20 Jager - which has huge side torsos and an XL, so just shoot one of those. They're also extremely slow even with an XL engine.
2. Dual AC-20 K2 - Massive cockpit hitbox and nerfed movement. If you're up or downhill from them they're dead. AC-20 cats have to store ammo in the legs (with reduced leg armor) so you can cripple them easily. Brawler builds are a joke now thanks to PGI's 'fixes'.

High-alpha PPC builds will overheat after a shot, but with coolshot 9x9 they can fire again where the AC-20 user can't. On top of that, they can out-range anything short of an ER-LL, and if they fit ER-PPC's they can kill you up close easily too. Even with standard PPC's they just have to keep you 90m out which is extremely easy (and even up close standard PPCs can kill you now, so you're not safe there either anymore).

If it was just one on one, the ER-PPC guy might be at a disadvantage, but against whole teams fielding them in every single game? That gets old really fast. If you don't understand why that's fundamentally broken (no other weapons being viable, except for maybe LRM's), I don't know what to tell you. The most common light mech builds now are PPC's. There's something deeply wrong with the game when lights and mediums have to use sniper fittings just to be viable.

Pretty much everyone I know who played MWO has quit or gone on hiatus because the game is incredibly stale and the developers seem clueless on how to fix things. With HSR, the SRM breakage, and the single-cap gameplay, the game's utterly pointless outside of a few days worth of play. With ELO, you can be an excellent player or have 3 great teammates, but the other 4 players on the team are nearly guaranteed to be abysmal. The only thing you can do is switch to a new mech and drop your ELO, or make a new alt. account, which defeats the point of putting any money into it. It's really not fun at all when even the most hardcore spergy try-hard players I know have given up. The 8-man queue is dead with the hard cap on players. Most teams can't field exactly 8 people all the time, so rather than having 4+4 v 8 it's 8v8 which means you'll rarely hit a game. The 4-man queue is luck of the draw and frankly extremely boring since you can't really use tactics with your idiot teammates who are off playing in a lake or suiciding alone off into the entire enemy team. You're lucky when they don't miss a target and blow off your arm.

By all means, play the game, but don't waste any money on it.

edit: I forgot the best part. Occasionally they'll come out with "fixes" for gameplay problems. They barely test them, so there's a 50/50 chance that they'll either break something else in the process, or that they'll make a change (cockpit shake to fix the constant poptart high-alpha games) and then immediately roll it back when a minority of morons complain about it. Poptarting came right back when they removed the shake (WHO COULD HAVE GUESSED), so it's another one of the many, many real gameplay issues that the developers were completely inept at handling.

Last edited:
Greetings!
Too bad the game is awful right now unless you like playing all PPC assaults.
Just have to be careful where you walk. Once you get close to those they are easy, most of them are Stalkers with very low mobility.
I tried the 3F with 4 and 6 PPCs, found them lacking. Most damage I did was in the 400-600, thats too low for an assault.
I'm more pissed off at AC-40 builds than anything.
Very fragile creatures, and with only 10DPS. If a Jager, just aim at side torsos, the XL makes boom. If a Cata-K2 abuse their slowness and torso mounted weapons.
There's something deeply wrong with the game when lights and mediums have to use sniper fittings just to be viable.
I find lights equipped with SRMs or SSRMs + ML or MPL far more dangerous. Will fear them more once the SRM get to 2 damage.

Without spending real money, try the Cataphract-4X with XL-255, 2ML and 2xAC2+2xAC5 or 4xAC5. Thats was my path to the Ilya Muromets. Found my sweet spot.

Greetings!
Just have to be careful where you walk. Once you get close to those they are easy, most of them are Stalkers with very low mobility.
I tried the 3F with 4 and 6 PPCs, found them lacking. Most damage I did was in the 400-600, thats too low for an assault.
Yes, I'll just use all of the available cover on the many, many maps available (there's like 4 btw), and Alpine is completely awful for cover so you'll get hit with PPC's constantly.

I find lights equipped with SRMs or SSRMs + ML or MPL far more dangerous. Will fear them more once the SRM get to 2 damage.
Well you're in luck because that's in today's patch.

Without spending real money, try the Cataphract-4X with XL-255, 2ML and 2xAC2+2xAC5 or 4xAC5. Thats was my path to the Ilya Muromets. Found my sweet spot.

That is a horrible build. You'd have to fire constantly and expose yourself to insane levels of pinpoint counter-fire to do any damage to your opponent. That's publord levels of awful, and terrible advice to anyone ever. Someone can hit you with a 45-point alpha on a single component (or several with a team) while you get maybe 20points of damage done all over an enemy mech. They can knock you out much faster than you can with your laughable ac/2 ac/5 setup.

Here's some graphs if you're having trouble understanding why it's such a terrible build:
http://themittani.com/features/mwo-suggestions-good-bad-and-ugly?page=0,2

This game's like playing MW4 where stepping out of cover equates to immediate long-range death.

There is literally no reason not to bring 8 assault mechs and sit on your base, and that's not fun and certainly not worth spending money on.

Last edited:
Greetings!
That is a horrible build. You'd have to fire constantly and expose yourself to insane levels of pinpoint counter-fire to do any damage to your opponent. That's publord levels of awful, and terrible advice to anyone ever. Someone can hit you with a 45-point alpha on a single component (or several with a team) while you get maybe 20points of damage done all over an enemy mech. They can knock you out much faster than you can with your laughable ac/2 ac/5 setup.

Here's some graphs if you're having trouble understanding why it's such a terrible build:
http://themittani.com/features/mwo-suggestions-good-bad-and-ugly?page=0,2
Try it. ;)
The article you linked to is worthless because (1) it doesnt grasp the effects a torrent of lead causes on the target aim and (2) it mentions "the damage inflicted is quite similar within the first 8 seconds". You dont need 8 seconds of 2xAC2+2XAC5 to utterly destroy a Stalker. :D

PS: Oh! Almost forgot. Stay away from the UAC5 if you cant maintain fire discipline, its preferrable to use the AC5, better tonannge, better ammo, better heat and dependable.

Any competent player will realize that cockpit shake doesn't actually affect your targeting reticule and go for your cockpit. Or alternatively they can just go for a side torso and probably kill you outright with an ammo explosion. If ammo/ballistics weren't the same weights/slots as Tabletop then you'd probably be able to fit more armor or engines making it more survivable, but outside of solo-dropping there's no place for an AC-2/5 build.

Against a competent team at a sufficiently high-enough ELO level you may as well call that robot a portable coffin.

I actually liked dual-UAC5 catapults back before HSR and jamming made them useless. UAC5 cataphracts are still OK if you can bypass the jamming, but they're still a walking deathtrap outside of solo-dropping.

Greetings!
Against a competent team at a sufficiently high-enough ELO level you may as well call that robot a portable coffin.
Every build fails against a competent team. There is no miraculous build against a good team. Teamwork beats all.

Have you tried the 2xAC2/5? Your lowest damage was what? 400?

Damage levels mean nothing if you spread it all over the enemy team/components. You can have a 600+ damage match throwing lasers everywhere, but if all you do is remove arms and components it doesn't help anyone.

Greetings!
Damage levels mean nothing if you spread it all over the enemy team/components.
Totally correct. Now, what makes you think that happens?
Only have a problem when the opposing player turns its arms to me, at that time he cant shoot back and I approach for the kill.

A typical match, 500+ damage and 3-4 kills (and I had my right arm ripped between the 3rd and 4th kill). We lost because the last 1v1 was our legged mech versus a LRM-heavy mech.
7UyeTmg.jpg

That is something I have been noticing, the matches are getting much more balanced. The 8v2-3 of before are rarer and rarer.

^^^
I forgot - since we were talking about AC/2's before - the next round of thermal changes will affect AC/2's as well. Apparently the devs think 8 damage at once is too much, so firing AC/2's in a group will hit a significant heat penalty by the end of the month.

There's going to be an open-invite town hall meeting (#savemwo) about the game this Thursday. Everyone's invited, and if you want to hear a diverse group of players from MWO in-game merc units, House units, and player-run organisations (QQ Mercs, Kong, Reddit, KAOS Legion, Templars, etc) discuss the game as it stands, or if you'd like to join in the discussion yourself, consider yourself invited.

It's a chance for anyone to pop in and discuss the state of MWO as it stands and what we hope to see in the future. It's going to be public, so you could even login anonymously if you like.

Anyways the discussion thread is:

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/128120-savemwo/

and the details are:

"MWO Community Town Hall, this Thursday, July 25th, at 9 PM EST at the below mumble server, for a moderated discussion on how we as a community can save our game:"

mumble.houseliaoactual.com
password: mellon

Greetings!
I forgot - since we were talking about AC/2's before - the next round of thermal changes will affect AC/2's as well. Apparently the devs think 8 damage at once is too much, so firing AC/2's in a group will hit a significant heat penalty by the end of the month.
As long as it doesnt affect firing 2 at a time..

Probably what the game needs is some sort of player governing body, similar to what EVE has, to address issues with the coming commnunity warfare mode.

Greetings!

Be a Hero!

In May 2013, we were overwhelmed with support for Sarah Parries, one of our youngest MechWarriors who tragically lost her life to cancer in Vancouver, Canada. We would like to reiterate our deepest condolences for Sarah's loved ones, who have expressed their sincerest appreciation for the incredible outpour of sympathy from the MechWarrior Online Community.

We are delighted to have been petitioned by our fans to take this as an opportunity to honor our fallen comrade and to raise donations for the Canadian Cancer Society through the sale of a unique version of Sarah's favourite Mech.

Purchase this special Mech for $10 USD and we will donate the proceeds raised to cancer research in memory of Sarah and MechWarriors affected by cancer worldwide.

http://mwomercs.com/sarah

14K so far.

Yeah even though I'm not spending MC on the game right now, donating for Sarah's mech (you have to use USD$ & not MC) is for a good cause.

how do I assign weapons to specific groups? Say my 8 medium lasers are spread across 4 groups and I want them in 2 groups. How do I do that?

Also how do I buy and install new weapons on mechs I own?

Greetings!

Use arrow keys to navigate your weapons and RCtrl to assign to groups.

Go to Mechlab, select the mech and press Loadout.

Thanks. I tried the RCtrl thing. It wont move weapons into different groups for me in-game. Is there a way to do it in the loadout menu?

I put a bunch of lasers on a mech but they're all going to group 1 so I overheat every time I fire. :temper:

Greetings!

Say you have 4 lasers, all assigned to group 1. You want to put the last two on group 2.
You navigate, using the arrow keys, to the first column, third row and press RCtrl, you just unassigned laser 3 from group 1, you now go to first column fourth row and press again RCtrl, you just unassigned laser 4 from group 1.

Rigth now only your first and second lasers are assigned to a group, group1.
Lasers 3 and 4 are unassigned.

To place laser 3 and 4 in the second group you navigate to second column third row and press RCtrl, laser 3 is now at group 2. You navigate to second column fourth row and press RCtrl, laser 4 is now at group 2.

You now have two weapon groups, group 1 with lasers 1 and 2 and group 2 with lasers 3 and 4.

It is really very simple, more than it looks reading this.

Back