• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

buffwea

Registered
I normally use laptop and another pc. A few weeks ago I decide to build a computer for fun. I had not overclocked anything since high school.

AMD Phenom II 555 BE..

CnQ is off but I am using K10Stat to throttle down to save power and heat.

Cpu Idles (via tempsensor taped underside of hs) @ 29C .85v

p-state 0 is 1.475v

Load @ 53C... unfortunately it is only 1-2 hours P95 stable

I'de like to add that using this I have not gotten it to crash using various strss testing.
any suggestions?

Last edited:
Welcome!

So, let's get some clarity here.

First, I assume you have unlocked two cores, right?

Second, when you quote temps are these core temps or CPU socket temps? Why did you tape a sensor to the underside of the motherboard socket? Most motherboards have a temp sensor built into the socket area. If you would install HWMonitor it will give you both CPU socket temps and core temps.

When you say "load temps" is that loaded with Prime95 or OCCT or is that a reading while running some game or other standard application?

You really haven't given us much info to go on. We know nothing about your motherboard, your memory, or your CPU cooler. And why are you using K10Stat to throttle down your cpu instead of the bios? Is this a Dell, Gateway, HP, Emachine or some other OEM box store computer that has no options for doing this in bios? The fact that you have unlocked the cores would suggest not, however.

First, thank you for replying.. I don't know what else to do
Yes, I'm unlocking the third and fourth cores.

The temps that I am quoting are as close to core temps as I can get (?I think). The reason for this is because on this mobo, the cpu temps are frozen.. have no idea why this is .. and can't RMA. The core temps are also not functioning due to the core unlock.

This presented me with a very challenging problem- overclocking without temps... Before I got a fan controller, I would read the core temps under full load (p95) for 2 core, then go to 4 core unlock mode and just periodically touch the heat sink. but now there is a thermal probe under the heatsink. I believe it is within 1c of the core temp according to coretemp in 2 core mode.

Although this isn't a box store machine, other than enabling CnQ, there is no option to individually adjust the processor p-states and voltage/freq scaling in bios. This is why I was using k10stat.

Okay, thanks for the info. Some things are clearer now. First, when cores are unlocked it is normal to lose the core temp function. The unlocking mechanism apparently either interferes with being able to read it or disables it in some way. This happens to everybody.

Second, I think you may be confusing core temp and CPU temp. Core temp is actually measured internally within the processor die itself. CPU temp is take from a probe located in the motherboard socket. The two temps will vary by as much as 10+ degrees even though intuitively you wouldn't think so. Core temp is the critical one but when you unlock cores and lose this function then you have to go with CPU temp. The best approach is to take not of the differential between core temp and CPU temp before you unlock cores. The differential will probably remain close to the same whether you are using 2 cores or 4. You seem to have taken this approach.

Even though you have lost core temp function because of unlocking cores you still should have retained CPU temp function. Unless your motherboard doesn't have a probe already built into the socket I don't think it is necessary for you to add your own probe. Have you tried HWMonitor yet?

Third, how did you unlock the two cores. It doesn't sound like your bios has that capability. Does K10 stat do that?

Fourth, if you are overclocking you should disable CNQ. It can cause instability when overclocking.

Fifth, 1-2 hr. of Prime passed may be quite sufficient. That is my stability test standard, though a lot of overclockers insist on more time. If it's stable in how you use it then passing Prime 1-2 hrs. should be good enough.

Yea, I've long since given up on the "differential" method. The two sensors on the motherboard read the same values in Hwmonitor for hours and hours. The cpu Die temps read 32F/0C when the cpu is in 4 core mode... but in 2 core mode they work fine.

The motherboard I'm using has a specific unleashing mode (asus a4785-m). That's how I'm doing the unlock.

Are you sure your goal of 4.2 ghz is reasonable for that CPU, especially one that started life with locked cores? And on a motherboard with a 785/710 SB chipset? If it was a 790FX/750 chipset you'd have a better chance as they are more robust with regard to power regulation. What kind of cooling are you using?

I'm currently using this Cooler master tx3

cooler_master_hyper_tx3.jpg

I tried putting 2 fans on push-pull, but it had very little effect on temperature. I'm also not using the fan included in the package, rather, a 92mm voltage controlled fan on an external fan controller. (because there is no way for me to read temps on unlocked cores)

As far as my expectations.. maybe 4.2 is a bit LOL. But I just think it's fun to push hardware to it's limits :).

Last edited:
Back