• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to OC, AMD Athlon II X4 635 help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neutrolizer

Registered
Hey there. I want to OC my system but I have no idea where to start. I'm not even sure if the phenom II guide applies to me or not. I'm running

AMD Athlon II X4 635
Hydro H60 CPU cooler
Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
XFX 650W

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/1835/cpuzss.png

cpuzss.png

If you got any information to help me understand what I have to do, please don't hesitate. I tried searching a bit for my cpu but it just turns up with people who know what they're doing and are looking for critique. Not sure if all systems are alike and so I'm a bit scared to mimic their profiles really..

Tell me if you guys need more info, THanks!

Last edited:
The Phenom II guide applies roughly. You cannot turn your multiplier up like a PhII BE CPU can, but other than that it is the same operation.

Alright thanks. SO this information :

Finding your FSB Max

First thing to do is find the limit to your FSB [Front Side Bus]. You will increase the FSB by a factor of 10 then by a factor of 5 after that. With each bump, make sure to keep your CPU speed as close to its stock speed. For example if my stock speed is 3.0 GHz which is 15 multi and 200 FSB, when I get to 210 FSB my multi should be 14.5. Same goes with your HT, CPU NB Frequency, and the RAM timings, and ratio. Once your computer does not boot up any longer, this means you have found your FSB maximum. Now you can move on to seeing how far you can push your CPU.

Overclocking the CPU

add in info on using punched in settings for BIOS, and making sure nothing is set to AUTO unless for certain items

For those that have an unlocked multiplier, do not increase the FSB, rather increase the CPU Multiplier by a factor of one and follow the steps as written below. You do not have to worry about the FSB until later on in the game.

Now that you have found your FSB Maximum, you can now push the CPU to see how high of an overclock you can accomplish. Before we begin, you must understand that there will be a limit to the CPU, and you will have to accept it. Depending on your PSU, cooling, and hundreds of other factors, if you try to continuously push your CPU over the max, you could end up harming it. With that in mind let us get started.

Lower your FSB back to 200 stock speed, and bring your CPU multi back up to its stock value. Start pushing the FSB by a factor of 10, and then by a factor of 5. For each successful boot, make sure to run some sort of bench mark tester or stress test. Check the section titled: Benchmarking and Stress testing tools for more information. Once your computer starts to crash during boot or during the benchmarks, you will need to try 1 of 3 different options. Your first option is to raise the CPU Voltage. While this will work for the majority of the time, it does not work all the time. I would first try to increase the Voltage before exploring the other two problems. Your second and third option is to increase the CPU NB frequency and/or voltage. Please use table 3 and table 4 for more information on what NB frequency and Voltage you should be at. You should first try increasing the voltage before increasing the frequency. It tends to work better. You can push the CPU-NB voltage to a max of 1.40v. If you are having troubles with your overclocked CPU instead of increasing the CPU-NB try to bring it down. This same process will work as well with the HTT. For the most part you will not have to do much with the HTT but sometimes lowering it below stock will get you to the CPU speed you want. As a rule of thumb you should keep your HTT between 1200-2200 MHz when overclocking. The third option that you may want to try is messing with your RAM. You can do a couple of things with your RAM. First increase the Voltage from stock by 0.2v. This usually does the trick. You can increase the RAM voltage up to 2.1v or something similar for RAM that is already at 2.1v at stock. If this does not do the trick try working with the Timings and a different Ratio. Sometimes a 800 ratio is better than a 1000, or 1066 ratio and vice verse. Overclocking is not a very simple task. Sometimes it takes time to find the sweet spot for your CPU. Make sure to try a variety of different settings until you feel comfortable. Just make sure to work inside the limits of your computer and the limits I have mentioned in this guide.

As you continue to increase your CPU speed, make sure to watch the CPU temperature. Once it hits a maximum of 60C LOAD, you MUST STOP! You are close to damaging with the CPU if you go any further. If your goal is to make your CPU stable, you NEED to lower the settings to have the CPU LOAD temp at a max of 55C.

will be the guide I will be using? When the computer no longer boots up, how do i get it to boot back up again since i can't go back into bios?

Also, would it be wise to follow these settings?
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1199/11/

Are any of the benchmark programs free and have multiple runs?

Sorry for the many questions. THanks!

If the computer fails to boot up juts disconnect the power from the wall and reset the cmos. It may be the button type or it may be the jumper type. If the jumper type make sure you put the jumper back to the original position before restoring power to the machine. This will put everything back to factory default, including time and date. This presupposes you record the last settings that were in effect before it would not boot so you can go back to them. Usually, however, you will start seeing the computer not able to boot all the way back into Windows before it won't boot into bios. Since you will be using the fsb to over clock with that CPU make sure you start your memory and your HT Link and your CPUNB (or just "NB") at a slower than stock frequency to give yourself some headroom for the overrclock. The memory frequency, the HT Link freqency and the CPUNB (or just NB) will increase in frequency with every increase in the fsb as they are linked together. So, start your memory at 1066 in bios. Start the HT Link at 8x instead of 10x. Start the CPUNB (or "NB") at 9x.

Last edited:
is there a point to finding the fsb max? In my bios, there is no HT link multiplier, just an option to change it by .2 ghz intervals. Should I be using SuperPI as a stresser after each successful boot?

If I dont need to find the max for FSB and once I do start overclocking my cpu with lowered settings for HT link and CPUNB, when do I raise them back up?

Last edited:
is there a point to finding the fsb max?

IMO its only valuable when you are working with a low end motherboard that will have a very limited max fsb frequency. Usually, other factors introduce overclock limits before the fsb.

In my bios, there is no HT link multiplier, just an option to change it by .2 ghz intervals. Should I be using SuperPI as a stresser after each successful boot?

It's just a different way of doing the same thing. Each change in the multiplier would produce the same effect as a .2 ghz step change.

If I dont need to find the max for FSB and once I do start overclocking my cpu with lowered settings for HT link and CPUNB, when do I raise them back up?

They will automatically raise themselves as you increase the fsb. They are tied to the fsb. You will see what I mean. For now, lower both the HT Link by .4 ghz and the CPUNB frequency by .2 ghz. The HT Link in that CPU family does not take to overclocking much at all and quickly becomes the source of instability if it gets much above 2000 mhz. We try to keep it between 1800 and 2000 ghz by the time the overclock is finalized. The CPUNB will take a moderate overclock, somewhere between 2400-2600 in the final analysis. Both can be manually tweaked up or down a little when the CPU core overclock is finished.

thank you very much for the help. i will attempt this tomorrow when I have time and let you know how it goes!

Hey so here's the update:

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/2728/cpuz2a.png
cpuz2a.png

It crashed earlier when i put the fsb up to 250 so I upped the cpu voltage up .05 and I'm not really sure if its stable yet.. or how else to really test this. How should I know when to be messing with the ram timings? and it seems the only way to adjust the CPUNB is to either change the multiplier or keep upping the FSB in order to get it in the rate of 2400-2600. Thanks

Changing the CPUNB frequency can be done intentionally with the multiplier and incidentally as you overclock the FSB.

1.4 for the core voltage is probably a little on the shy side for that CPU when overclocked to 3.6+ ghz. Your core temps are great so don't hesitate to add more vcore.

Could you add the SPD tab from CPU-z to your pics? The SPD tab gives the manufacturer's recommendations for memory volts and timings at various frequency levels and I want to compare your actual timings as reported in the Memory tab with those that are recommended. By the way, you don't need to show the Memory tab of CPU-z for all the slots unless the sticks are different. Are you running one stick or three? How much total memory?

Did you know that when your run an odd number of memory sticks you are running in Single Channel mode? There's a significant performance penalty for running in Single Channel mode as opposed to Double Channel mode.

Here it is

cpuz3.png

I have two memory sticks, should I be running that in double? How do I change that?

So if I were to change my timings to say 9 9 9 24, everything should be okay?
Thanks

Put your memory sticks side by side in the same color slots. You must have them in alternating slots. Every motherboad manual I have ever read is totally confusing when it tries to explain how to load the ram sticks.

Boy, that SPD tab pic is revealing! Your memory should be running slower than you have it set. You are running in the XMP frequency range. XMP means something like "Xtended Memory Profile". It is the "overclocked" profile for your memory and requires 1.65 volts to pull off as well as relaxed timings. The trouble is (and I can speak to this with a fair amount of experience and certainty) your CPU's ICM (Integrated Memory Controller) won't like to play with memory volted that high and neither will your motherboard's ram support electronics. Today's motherboards like low voltage memory that runs in the 1.5 volt range. So, you need to go into bios and lower the starting speed of your ram from 533/1066 to 400/800 so that your memory frequency is lower at the FSB frequency you are at. I suspect you will see increased stability if you do this and if you bump up your CPU voltage a bit.

Also, set your memory voltage to 1.55 and your CPUNB voltage to 1.25.

Ohh I see same color slots! Yeah they're next to each other but its totally the wrong color. This MOBO must be weird. Can't believe that's been happening for more than a year now.. Does my memory voltage change automatically? I haven't even touched anything for that yet but I guess I'll go in there and lower the starting speed. Is it fine if I bump the CPU voltage up another .5? Im not realy sure what a safe level is and don't want anything blowing up on me. Thanks for pointing out such a big problem for me

RAM looks like it will clock pretty well. If he has not adjusted VDIMM yet he might be able to get faster still :) (Although save that for when you are done finding your max HTREF speed :)

you are so confusing me Neuromancer >.<

Anyways I did what you said trents, setting dram voltage to 1.4, next option was 1.6 but wanted to be safe. Also set CPUNB voltage to 1.2 since this also goes in intervals of .2. I also changed the multiplier for CPUNB back to 10x to get it to 2500. I then set the ram frequency thing to the lowest available option which was like x4, x, x6.66, x8 if i recall correctly. No idea what the 2nd option was. Here's the new screen shot of the cpuz

cpu3n.png

oh and i upped the Vcore up another .025 to 1.425

Ohh I see same color slots! Yeah they're next to each other but its totally the wrong color. This MOBO must be weird. Can't believe that's been happening for more than a year now.. Does my memory voltage change automatically? I haven't even touched anything for that yet but I guess I'll go in there and lower the starting speed. Is it fine if I bump the CPU voltage up another .5? Im not realy sure what a safe level is and don't want anything blowing up on me. Thanks for pointing out such a big problem for me

Yeah, it'll take 1.55 volts just fine. That little extra can help with stability but too much ram voltage has the opposite affect.

It is possible the bios automatically adjusts the ram voltage to match the frequency profile for your ram. Unfortunately, CPU-z doesn't give information about ram voltage. If you have a hardware monitoring utility that came with your motherboard it might do that.

Occasionally, we see a motherboard where the ram slot slots in the same channel are different colors.

Neuromancer has a good idea about coming back later to try the ram at 1333 mhz. Perhaps it will be stable at 1333 on less than 1.65 volts. But as he suggested, less find the top overclock for the CPU first, or possibly the HT Reference (aka, fsb).

Alrighty, then I'll go ahead and up that and maybe jack up my fsb a bit too then

oh and it seems the ram is still on XMP after I lowered it..

How did you go about lowering it? Do you need to take something off of "Auto"? Show me the CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD" again, please. Wait a minute, are you confusing the "Memory" tab with the "SPD" tab? The values shown in the SPD tab are not your current memory settings. They represent information supplied by the factory about your ram. Your current, actual memory settings are shown in the "Memory" tab.

Time to hit the sack.

I changed the DRAM frequency from the available options when i select it to x4.00. There are 4 options available, x4.00, x5.33, x6.66, x8. I think before It was at 5.33. So now my Vcore is at 1.55. I tried to put my FSB up to 255 but then my comp crashed so I feel 250 is about as high as it'll go. Yeah I thought just because on the SPD page it said SPD Ext: XMP that it meant it was still on XMP. Here are the new screens. Thanks!

cpuz4i.png

Yeah, now that what I was expecting for the ram frequency when the "divider" as we call it was set to the equivalent of a 400 mhz memory bus speed. I should explain that CPU-z (and a lot of other reporting software) expresses the memory speed in terms of the underlying memory bus frequency, not the DDRx transfer speed. (DDR stands for "Double Data Rate") To get the DDRx speed just multiply the reported memory bus speed x 2 in your head. That throws a lot of people.

So since moving your core voltage to 1.55 have you done any core temp monitoring? In not, you should. And run the Prime95 blend test for a couple of hours at least to confirm stability. Your core voltage has gotten up there!

Did you bump up your CPUNB voltage to 1.25 as I suggested earlier?

If you have some upgrade dollars laying around I would suggest getting some better memory. Your performance is being hurt a little right now with the memory only running at 1000 mhz. Memory is dirt cheap right now. Go for low voltage DDR3 1600. It will run at 1333 mhz with nice tight timings.

Any of the products on this page would fit the bill: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6127 600006066 600000261&IsNodeId=1&name=1.5V

Last edited:
Back