• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Needs Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kickerman97

I just built a system for my cousin and have a problem, or at least I think I do. I have a SOYO Dragon 2 v1.0 mobo and a intel p4 3E GHz cpu. I installed a cooler master JET 4 heatsink and fan setup. I have updated the BIOS as well. My problem is that the pc reboots when i'm trying to install something or do something. I don't seem to have a problem when it's just idle in windows. Just looking at the temps in the CMOS setup screens, i'm getting a CHA temp of 30c and a cpu temp of 50c. I don't really know if this is good or not. from what I've read, its high. This is the first one that I've built from scratch, so I'm new to it in that regard. I have alomost finished my degree in computer engineering, so i can understand most lingo. I just need some expert advice. Thanks in advance

it possibly could be a problem with the memory if it is setting the spd timings and such incorrectly, try increasing vdimm, and perhaps vagp a bit and see if your stability increases. the cpu temp is pretty high, but that is not necessarily the problem unless your load temps are 60+.

could you guys tell me what some of these settings mean and if I should enable them? by-the-way, i have one 1gig stick of ram in it in case your wondering. it's a patriot pc3200 400mhz stick. It seems as if that cooling fan that i bought should be doing better, it's supposed to be for very high cpu's and overclocking. i would like to oc this one a little, but i am concerned about the temps.

AMI BIOS

Graphics WIN size?
configure DRAM timing by SPD?
auto detect DIMM/PCI Clk?
Spread Spectrum?
Max CPUID Vale Limit?

my DRAM freq is set to auto
cpu overclocking disabled

I would leave the timing at SPD for now and disable the spread spectrum. They rest should be ok at default if you are not overclocking. Hopefully there is a way to lock the AGP/PCI if you plan to overclock. What are the setting options for the "auto detect DIMM/PCI Clk"? Temps do seem a little high. Probably ok for stock speed, but a little high to be overclocking. What do you have for case cooling?

From all I have read, i think it might be the combination of a prescott cpu and this mobo. I think i'm going to send this board back and get a ASUS p4800SE. I think this will do the trick. I have read that it is handling the prescott's really well. The SOYO says it is prescott ready, but I have read that alot of people are having this problem with cpu heat. oh yeah, for my case cooling i've got a intake fan in the front and in the side, with a 120mm rear exhaust, got a Jet 4 cpu fan and a vantec dual fan HDD fan. My case temps(reading the CHATEMP sensor in the CMOS setup) stays around 28c, not to bad i guess.

I think I fixed the problem, i sent the SOYO back and bought an ABIT board, and it runs like a dream. Thanks for the replies

Back