• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED O/C blue screen i think i broke my cpu....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
We're here to guide you when you're ready. But first in order to prepare, download and install CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95, all free programs that either test the system or tell us info we need to know.

ok i tryed o/c again and i only got to 3.5 this time. i got 4.1 im past times. what do you guys think it could be

I think we can't help you if you're going to rely on Auto Tune. Those auto overclocking genies make some weird adjustments behind the scenes. No telling what it has changed or not changed.

I have already given you some suggestions but you seem to want to do it your way . . . or Auto Tune's way.

I already told you we're willing but you keep going back to Auto Tune.

If you want to learn overclocking you need to reckon with the fact that it requires patience. It's done in small steps to keep it safe for the equipment. Monitoring and stress testing is done after every change. When your progress gets stalled you try this thing and the other thing to uncover what the road block is.

Did you download and install those three programs I mentioned?

i alrdy had cpu-z and i got the rest. oh a btw i fix it. i just ran the auto tune again and it fixed it self. im going to avoid that program once i know how to do it the right way

The first thing to do is to disable Auto Tune. Put everything back to stock. Then go into bios and disable Cool N Quiet, Turbo, C1E and C6. Then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and select High Performance. That should disable all the "green" powesaving, down-throttling stuff that messes with overrclocking.

The next thing to do would be to check core temps at stock frequencies and voltages. Core temps are the main limiting factor in overclocking. I'm skeptical that your H60 cooler is adequate to overclock that FX 8 core very far. Most people are going for the H100 with those CPUs.

To check core temps, open HWMonitor on the desktip and leave it open while you run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. Once you have done that, post back to us with pictures of the HWMonitor interface as it will have captured min and max CPU and core voltages as well as max and min voltages of the CPU core and PSU rails.

To attach a screen shot of the HWMonitor interface, first crop and save the image to disk with Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Then click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window and when the Advanced post window pops up click in the little paperclip tool at the top. That will bring up the file browser and upload tool and the rest is obvious.

here you go. i wasnt sure if you wanted me to run it till it stop or just for a half an hour. but this is what i got

Attachments

• stress test 2.jpg
    stress test 2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 33
No, I wanted you to go 20 minutes. That's plenty. Maybe I forgot to say that. Temp will pretty much peak by then. Look at your core temps. At 46c you have about 9c to work with. From experience we know that AMD CPUs start to become unstable with the core temps reach around 55c. I'll get back to you later this evening with more advice. Leaving for a Taco Delmar dinner with my wife.

alright. have fun. thanks for the help.

ive been looking into some better cooling options. im thinking about getting and acrylic cube case. and building a cooling system for it myself. going to do some research and stuff first. cause i cant fit my h60 in my case as it is. the radiator sits on top. which i guess isnt a bad thing. but it looks stupid and i need a new case anyway

Well, if you want to proceed with overclocking with your current cooling I suggest seeing how far you can get without increasing the CPU core voltage any at the front end of the OC process. Increasing the CPU speed brings a little temp increase but when you begin to add voltage the temps start to climb faster.

So, if you want to try it as it I would recommend increasing the CPU multiplier by .5x increments until you cannot pass a 20 minute Prime95 blend test. Then add a small increment of core voltage (maybe .025v)to be able to pass the test again. Monitor core temps withe HWMonitor with reach 20 minute Prime95 test. Add more core voltage as necessary when you start failing the test again. If your core temps reach mid 50s c, then you are at the "wall". Then you need to do the Prime95 test for at least 2 hrs. to ensure it is really stable. It also helps with stability to bump the CPUNB voltage up to about 1.2.

Post back with pics of HWMonitor and CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD".

Do you have LLC (Load Line Calibration) in your bios?

Last edited:
which one of these is the one that you want me to mess with. im pretty sure i accidently hit the bios's auto clock feature. i was thinking that the 250 was not where it should be. where is the multi plier

Attachments

• wtfff.jpeg
    wtfff.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 29
  • wtfffffffffffffffffffff.jpeg
    wtfffffffffffffffffffff.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 29
"CPU Ration" is what I was calling the "multiplier". This is the one I want you it increase in .5x increments.

"AMD Turbo Core Technology" set to "Disabled".

Change "CPU & NB Voltage Mode" to whatever is offered besides "Offset" mode. I think it's called "Manual" mode. That should allow you to manually enter a given value for the CPU and the CPU/NB voltage.

Have you disabled Cool N Quiet, C!E and C6 yet in bios like I recommended earlier? And did you set the Windows Control Panel Power Options to High Performance yet?

It's late. I'm going to bed. I'll check this tomorrow.

Please show the other two CPU'z tabs: "Memory" and "SPD".

Change your CPU/HT Reference Clock to 200 mhz. Right now it's at 250.

After you do that, please show the three CPU-z tabs together in one trio shot.

Hint: Any line items in bios that are "Auto" will not allow you to enter a specific value. You must put them to Manual.

ta da

Attachments

• cpuzzzzzzzz.jpg
    cpuzzzzzzzz.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 28
  • cpuzzz2.jpg
    cpuzzz2.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 29
  • cpuzzz3.jpg
    cpuzzz3.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 28
Back