• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED O/C blue screen i think i broke my cpu....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Look a you CPU-z pics in post #38. The "Memory" tab gives info about your current ram frequency and timings. The SPD tab gives info about the manufacturer's recommended timings and voltages for your ram at various frequencies (See the JEDEC columns). Also keep in mind that CPU-z reports your ram frequency at half of what you would expect to see because it's not reporting the DDR3 transfer rate its reporting the ram bus frequency which is half of what the transfer rate is.

Currently then, your ram is running at 1000 mhz (500x2) when it is rated for 1333 mhz. (666x2) according to the "Maximum Bandwidth" in the SPD tab. But let's check that out because CPU-z sometimes misreports maximum bandwidth for ram, especially Kingston ram. Please supply more info in your Sig about your ram. What is the actual model number of the ram? All you have there now is "4GB DDR3 Kingston ram".

Also, the stock HT Link Speed and the stock CPU/NB speed for the FX chips is 2200 where as the Memory tab of CPU-z shows that the "NB" (that's actually the CPU/NB) to currently be at 2000. The HT Link Speed shows in the CPU-z CPU tab as "Rated FSB" which is always grayed out for the FX CPUs for some reason.

So, go into bios and manually put in the value of 2200 for "HT Link Speed" and "CPU/NB Frequency".

alright i could have swarn it was kingston. lol. it some brand i never heard of pareem

Attachments

• stupidram.jpeg
    stupidram.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 21
So, you're only running one stick of ram? In post #38 CPU-z says you are running in dual channel mode and that cannot be done unless you have two or four sticks of ram installed. Yet, your Sig says you have only 4 gb of ram? Okay, you've got me confused now.

its just one stick of 4gb. i might have the setting on the mobo on that has something to do with the ram

With only one stick of ram you are sacrificing considerable performance because you are in single channel mode.

Did you build this system yourself?

no i bought it from someone who has a custom gaming pc business. i bought it all pretty much basic and cheap to slowly upgrade it

the only orignal parts are the ram, case, hard-drive and graphics card.

next paycheck is buying 8gb of ddr3 but i dont know what to get. corsair vengence maybe. something around that price range

I don't quite understand why you're overclocking the FSB on a multiplier unlocked CPU...

Because he was using an auto overclock genie in bios. I asked him to disable that and to put the FSB (aka, CPU Frequency) at the stock 200 and just use the multiplier to overclock. I don't know if the OP has done that yet.

i have been doing it. its getting to hot during the test. to around 55c which you said was the wall so i stopped at 17 @3.400ghz. unless you want me to keep going. i didnt want to mess anything up

Okay, let's see pics of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD" at the current settings please and a pic of the HWMonitor interface after a 20 minute Prime95 blend test.

Yeah, I don't recommend going past about 55c with the core temps. As I said before, the H60 cooler is not going to get you far.

yeah the h60 is going back to bestbuy tommrow

well the cores arent running at 55c. but the cpu as a whole is running at around 55c.

ill get the others to yah in just a sec

Attachments

• wmplayer 2012-06-20 23-23-41-87.bmp
    860.7 KB · Views: 14
ta daaaaa. oh and thanks for all your help so far. i really appreciate it a lot. im learning a lot of stuff

Attachments

• wmplayer 2012-06-20 23-35-31-78.bmp
    478 KB · Views: 13
  • wmplayer 2012-06-20 23-35-49-17.bmp
  • wmplayer 2012-06-20 23-35-50-84.bmp
Your core temps are the important ones and they are still quite good at this point. Keep pushing it. Your CPU temps should be good to around 65c. That's actually not the processor temp is the temp of the motherboard CPU socket below the processor.

I asked you to go into bios and set your memory frequency to 666/1333 and it looks like you have not done that yet. It's at 400/800. You're sacrificing performance by running the memory that low. If you need help in configuring that adjustment then attach a pic of the bios section where the memory (or "DRAM") adjustments are found.

Say, if were going to work together at this I need you to be a more responsive communicator. If I ask you to make some adjustment I need to know if you have done it before we move on to other things. If you don't know how to do something I'm asking just say so and I'll help you with it.

Here's the relevant section from the owner's manual section dealing with the bios. Take DRAM Frequency off of Auto and set it manually to 1333 mhz. Is this what you did? Don't forget to save your changes before you exit bios.

Attachments

• DRAM.JPG
    DRAM.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 9
Back