• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok ready to go!! =D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrV

Dont know if this is in the right section, but here it goes

Ok first Ill start out with my system specs

-P4 2.8c cooled with a sp-94(with 92mm fan pushing 120 cfm of air)Idle temp 33 degrees, load 42
-Antec Truepower 550w PSU
-Abit ic7-MAX3 motherboard
-2 gigs of ddr3200 Kingston valueram(4x512mb sticks, each with thermaltake copper heatsinks)
-A radeon 9700 Pro with a Zalman Noiseless VGA heatpipe cooler with a 120 mm thermaltake fan(78 cfm) instead of the 80mm zalman fan.
-2x120 gig seagate barricuda SATA drives in raid 0 config
-Xaser3 super tower v1000a

Ive been screwing around with my overclocking settings on my board(awesome board by the way) and I managed to get my CPU to a 3.7 on stock voltage :eek: with the 5:4 ratio (264x14)cpu and 210mhz ram and running pretty stable, I didnt use Prime95 to test but rather just played a couple of games.

Anyways, Ive brought everything back to stock speeds so I can do this whole overclocking thing right. What I want to know is should I see how far I can get my cpu before I work on O/Cing the ram and screwing around with its timing? Also it says right on the ram modules that the ram is rated for 2.6 v, so that means uping the voltage of the modules to be stable will damage them? For example in order to have ram stable at 210fsb I had to up the voltage to 2.65 from 2.6, how far can I go with these modules? Also after seeing how far I can go mhz wise, should I even bother to tweak timing, or is it like do one or the other and not both? I know the ram sucks but I shelled out over $300 a couple of months ago for them before I knew better, but I want to get the most out of what I have.

I have a pretty good idea what Im doin but I would like some advice from the vets. Steps would be appreciated, and a guide for tweaking timing would be great, thanks in advance. :)

Sounds like a nice system and looks like you're doing fine so far. Crank that thing back up and tweak stuff like RAM at your known overclock. A 3.7 O/C is awesome. I have Kingston RAM and I run it all the time at 2.7v. It'll handle a little extra vdimm ok as long as you have good case ventilation. Congrats!

Back