• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

!!OMG!! NVIDIA GEFORCE 9800 GTs are out!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sjaak said:
How many contact points is an SLI interface? shouldn't be too hard making one yourself....

How would you make it? The contact pins are very close... you cannot solder to them first of all, and secondly who wants to solder onto their new 6600gts (or w/e card you have)?

I believe it's 13 contacts on each side. I counted yesterday, but I don't remember... i THINK it was 13. The AGP slot's pins seem to be the same width. PCI slots aren't... if you can get an AGP slot to fit perfectly on it (which is damn hard work) then you'll be set. I think I'm going to just hacksaw the slot off b/c cutting it out is just taking too long. The only problem is that it's REALLY messy!!! Another thing is how the hell am I going to cut the right width on the AGP slot to fit the cards without shattering pieces off the AGP slot.

This is not an easy task guys...

Get your hands on a old motherboard, and carefully take off the AGP slot (maybe PCI will work?)

If you are careful with a small saw, you can cut the AGP slot to pieces (yeah i did it myself once, its easy =))

Then it's fairly easy. The AGP slot has big connectors on the bottom so getting a wire around those is peanuts.

Would be so ghettolicious to see a home made SLI bridge :cool:

Sjaak... I'm going to attempt it BUT... if I cut the AGP slot and make pieces... it'll be like this:

_________
|________ <--- see the opening? That's where it would be cut.

So one end on each of the pieces I make will be able to slide around. I also have to figure out how to make it snug, so that I don't SCREW anything up while the system is on. We don't want it to be sliding around.

Is there anywhere we can find a ribbon to use? I'm thinking that maybe I can use an IDE cable for the briding of the two slots???

**Edit** Considering there are two sides to these SLI connections on the card, we need to know what is meant by 1:1 connection for the bridge.

1. Are they going to connect GPU side to GPU side, and back to back side... or
2. Is it going to be GPU side to back side, and then back side to GPU side?

I think choice #1, but we need to be sure of this...

Last edited:
A ribbon cable should work just fine... dang... I wish I had my setup so I can compare an actual bridge and see how exactly it works and I would help you but since I don't have a card supporting PCIE SLI (or AGP for that matter :p) I can't.

Do you know how much signal will be moving through the wires? You might even be able to go smaller than an IDE cable...

No clue, man... and I highly doubt I'll be able to get that info soon. I want to get my 2x6600gts crackin TONIGHT. I may do some overtime SLI Bridging tonight, but I have to go to the gym so we'll see...

g0dM@n said:
1. Are they going to connect GPU side to GPU side, and back to back side... or
2. Is it going to be GPU side to back side, and then back side to GPU side?

Since it doesn't matter which card is the upper, i'd say its the 2nd possibility which would make sense for sender-reciever connection.

Someone with an SLI bridge look at it closely and tell us :)

Hey... SLI Bridge people post here.
It's a thread I started about the SLI Bridge.

Back