• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

only 8 of 16gb works

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, but you should definitely RMA the kit if they require it (they probably will) so you can have all four sticks that you paid for.

+1 to what Hokie said.

You can run on two sticks until they want you to ship all four for the RMA.

Not sure if what isn't safe? Running 8GB of RAM? Only using 2 DIMMs?

Its just fine running with half the set.

if your worried run memtest on the two working sticks see if theres any errors.

Sounds like he's not getting enough vtt or whatever the name is for it on the AMD side.. I get that too sometimes, either 8 of 12 or 4 of 6 will show when I don't have enough vtt

freeagent, he tried all four sticks individually (at least I think he did) and two of them didn't function.

littlestraffen, what you are doing should definitely not cause your computer to make any strange noises.

Also, on you previous question, running two sticks won't hurt a thing.

Are you sure you're running Windows 64-bit? That's behavior of a 32-bit OS. Not that it makes a bit of sense that it was showing you eight gigs before. :shrug:

Sorry, I don't have the foggiest what's going on then. It definitely sounds like you've got some less than functional memory there. Have you increased CPU-NB voltage yet?

Try one known good stick in all four DIMM slots. Run memtest each time. If all DIMM slots are good, run memtest on each stick independently in the same slot.

This is going to take a while, but it's the only way to know for sure.

Back