• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock on Foxconn A6VMX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SirBillGatesJnr

Registered
Right now I'm about to start on my Phenom 9500 2.2Ghz chip (NOT black edition), and I notice I can only change the voltage and clock but not the multiplier as it's locked. I can also change the RAM voltages. All this is from the BIOS, as the lame overclocking utility Foxconn provided for Windows doesn't keep your settings when you make a change!

Has anyone any tips for overclocking this CPU?

I'm a relative noob at this having only overclocked a couple of times in the past.

:welcome: to OCF!

The only way to OC that system is by increasing the clock speed. Start by entering the important BIOS settings manually; four main RAM timings, vDIMM (RAM voltage), RAM divider, HT Link multiplier, CPU multiplier, clock speed, & vCore (CPU voltage) - at a minimum. Does that board have ACC (SB750)? If so, leave ACC on Auto.

With all that set slowly increase the clock speed starting at 210 MHz and increasing in jumps of 5 MHz. Stress test each clock for a few minutes with OCCT to check for stability. When you get unstable, increase the vCore by 0.05v but don't exceed 1.45v. Keep a close watch on temps with CoreTemp. If you start to exceed 50°C then you're approaching your limit.

This was written for the AM2 system, not AM2+, but it covers the basics of OC'ing. There will be some differences but the concepts are still the same ... :)
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=555058

Right now I'm about to start on my Phenom 9500 2.2Ghz chip (NOT black edition), and I notice I can only change the voltage and clock but not the multiplier as it's locked. I can also change the RAM voltages. All this is from the BIOS, as the lame overclocking utility Foxconn provided for Windows doesn't keep your settings when you make a change!

Has anyone any tips for overclocking this CPU?

I'm a relative noob at this having only overclocked a couple of times in the past.

I'm not aware of any overclocking software that makes permanent changes to the settings in bios. I think they all have to be reloaded in Windows when you restart the machine but they usually give you the option of retaining the settings in Windows when you restart the software. Also, you can set it up to automatically load in Windows start up. I don't like overclocking that way, however, because it adds significantly to the start up time. Doing it in the bios is better. It is also true that the OC software won't give you any options that aren't already in the bios so why not just do it in the bios?

By the way, the 9500 non be has very little if any head room for overclocking. With no CPU multiplier adjustment You will have to do it through the front side bus and it is well documented that this cpu doesn't like that. Thought I'd share that with you and save you some frustration.

Last edited:
I'm not aware of any overclocking software that makes permanent changes to the settings in bios. I think they all have to be reloaded in Windows when you restart the machine but they usually give you the option of retaining the settings in Windows when you restart the software. Also, you can set it up to automatically load in Windows start up. I don't like overclocking that way, however, because it adds significantly to the start up time. Doing it in the bios is better. It is also true that the OC software won't give you any options that aren't already in the bios so why not just do it in the bios?

By the way, the 9500 non be has very little if any head room for overclocking. With no CPU multiplier adjustment You will have to do it through the front side bus and it is well documented that this cpu doesn't like that. Thought I'd share that with you and save you some frustration.

I should have done my research before jumping into the quad-core band wagon...I'll give myself a slap in the face with a haddock later... :bang head What would be a good cooler then, because I noticed the Foxxconn motherboard overclock utility - "Foxx One", said my processor was overheating when I knocked it up to 203 Ghz from 200Ghz. It said it was running at 72C and this was dangerous. Everything went red and if it played sound (which it doesn't), I would have expected blaring sirens. It's idling at 58C BTW.

Last edited:
Yeah, idling at 58C is not good! How wide is your case from side to side? Is it 8" or better? The reason I'm asking is because the best coolers are the tall tower style ones but they require a case of 8" wide or more unless you are willing to modify the side panel by cutting a hole in it and covering it with something so as to give some recess. I had to do this with mine to accommodate the Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme, aka "TRUE". Another really good cooler and a wonderful bargain right now on NewEgg is the Sunbeam direct contact heatpipe cooler. It was on sale for $30 recently with free shipping. Don't know if that deal is still on, however.

My budget is under £20 for a CPU cooler. Which one of these at £20 or less (about $30) would you order?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/produ...01&catid=57&subid=1395&rows=0&sortby=priceAsc

There's also this list :

http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?level3=921 < I quite like this store, it's normally very competitive, I assume they monitor competitors' prices.

I was going to buy this one :

http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?prodID=B88284 , for no other reason than it's blue. Probably a bad idea.

I don't think the cooler I bought with the CPU is a proper AM2+/Phenom one, as I didn't have the money. This might explain the high temperatures.

Last edited:
I don't see anything in those lists withing the price cap you give that I think would be an improvement over the stock heatsink you are using now. Save your money and get something that will make a real difference. In the meantime, don't overclock your cpu.

I should have done my research before jumping into the quad-core band wagon...I'll give myself a slap in the face with a haddock later... :bang head What would be a good cooler then, because I noticed the Foxxconn motherboard overclock utility - "Foxx One", said my processor was overheating when I knocked it up to 203 Ghz from 200Ghz. It said it was running at 72C and this was dangerous. Everything went red and if it played sound (which it doesn't), I would have expected blaring sirens. It's idling at 58C BTW.
Idling at 58°C is not normal unless you have a lot of voltage going to the CPU. Remove and clean the heat sink, reapply the TIM, and reseat it. Idle temps at stock shouldn't be more than 10°C over ambient at most - it can't be that hot in the UK yet! :)

The cheapest cooler I saw that's any good is this one but it's out of the price range given ...
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-000-TQ&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=1395

I'm running this cooler at the moment, http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductID=772611&source=froogle

Could someone confirm whether this is suitable for my Phenom 9500? As I said, I didn't have much money...:( It has the Wattage data there. Wattage being a measure of heat I assume.

I did as the poster above suggested and cleaned the heat sink and added some fresh paste, and it's still going to 74C (in the red) with this cooler. I don't like it. All I'm doing is running OCCT as another poster above suggested.

Update : Now it's at 77 degrees C. OMG, I'm stopping the test.

I have to replace my cooler as it's overheating even when not OC'ed. So I'll wait on some input before I buy this http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=6556&cat=515&page=1#tabs for nearly £15.

Last edited:
Idling at 58°C is not normal unless you have a lot of voltage going to the CPU. Remove and clean the heat sink, reapply the TIM, and reseat it. Idle temps at stock shouldn't be more than 10°C over ambient at most - it can't be that hot in the UK yet! :)

The cheapest cooler I saw that's any good is this one but it's out of the price range given ...
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-000-TQ&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=1395

Nope it's only 20C at most here. Just turned spring. Definately no tropical heat-wave here yet, though we've had two bad summers chances are this one will be nice and sunny.

Sorry for the double post BTW.

The second sink you listed above is the stock 4-pipe AMD cooler. Not a bad unit all in all but could use a bigger fan for better results. I've strapped 92x38mm high CFM fans onto a couple of those heatsinks and it helped a lot ... :)

The second sink you listed above is the stock 4-pipe AMD cooler. Not a bad unit all in all but could use a bigger fan for better results. I've strapped 92x38mm high CFM fans onto a couple of those heatsinks and it helped a lot ... :)

I think I'll order one, as this one is no good to man nor beast. Could you provide more details so I can make this mod. Would you pick me out a fan in the next few days, a bloody giant one, and :clap: describe this "strapping" in more detail. No hurry as it won't come for a day or two. I would clap even more.

http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=6556

Strapping - literally. I used zip-ties through the fan mounting holes wrapped around the heatpipes on the sides. Seems to work fine but I wouldn't want to move it around a whole lot while it's running. ;)

Any good 92x38mm fan will work - preferably something over 70 CFM or so. If you can provide links to some UK sites I'll look through them. I didn't find anything in the site that has the heat sink - not very many fan choices there ...

I actually went to this site instead, and there was something fishy about specialtech I won't go into. I think this shop (below) will have large fans.

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/amdcooling/asus-x-70

I paid a little more, but it's a trustworthy retailer, or should that be "e-tailer"? :)

Strapping - literally. I used zip-ties through the fan mounting holes wrapped around the heatpipes on the sides. Seems to work fine but I wouldn't want to move it around a whole lot while it's running. ;)

Any good 92x38mm fan will work - preferably something over 70 CFM or so. If you can provide links to some UK sites I'll look through them. I didn't find anything in the site that has the heat sink - not very many fan choices there ...

This site has some fans you could look through, good shop too as I've said; ordered many items in the past from them.

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/casefans

I went to a pc superstore and bought this today : imgB88273.jpg

After 10 mins of testing with OCCT my temperature is reaching a maximum of 55C (processor, non overclocked), which is a lot better. Still have the other one coming tomorrow, which I'll return.

Crisis over then. :)

Last edited:
:welcome: to OCF!

The only way to OC that system is by increasing the clock speed. Start by entering the important BIOS settings manually; four main RAM timings, vDIMM (RAM voltage), RAM divider, HT Link multiplier, CPU multiplier, clock speed, & vCore (CPU voltage) - at a minimum. Does that board have ACC (SB750)? If so, leave ACC on Auto.

With all that set slowly increase the clock speed starting at 210 MHz and increasing in jumps of 5 MHz. Stress test each clock for a few minutes with OCCT to check for stability. When you get unstable, increase the vCore by 0.05v but don't exceed 1.45v. Keep a close watch on temps with CoreTemp. If you start to exceed 50°C then you're approaching your limit.

This was written for the AM2 system, not AM2+, but it covers the basics of OC'ing. There will be some differences but the concepts are still the same ... :)
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=555058

What CPU voltage should I not exceed on an AM2+ system? 1.45v still?

What are you using for thermal paste on the heat sink base?

Just the ready applied mixture that was already on the cooler. Would I get better performance with something else?

Following the instructions given in the second post, I've achieved an overclock of 2695 Mhz, and the temp. in Core Temp is showing 48C when loading with OCCT, so I'll quit there, as I don't want the thing to burn out. FoxOne reports the temp as 10 higher on average than Core Temp, which is still 10 degrees off danger (48 + 10 = 58) approx., so there's room (temperature wise) for more.

I'm very pleased, and wish to thank you all for contributing, your help was invaluble, and I would never have done it just from reading guides. It cost me 25 bucks approx, but I've got an extra 495 Mhz for my troubles (2695Mhz-2200Mhz=495Mhz).

Thanks again, and I will certainly be back to help other noobs if I spot a OC-ing virgin, as repayment.

woot!

Last edited:
Just the ready applied mixture that was already on the cooler. Would I get better performance with something else?

Yes. You can expect to improve your temps by about 2 degrees Cent. if you go with one of the better aftermarket thermal pastes. The most widely used is Arctic Silver 5( aka, AS5) but there are some others just as good.

The other thing that can shave off several degrees is "lapping" your heatsink base. This would only help if it is not already perfectly flat. Take a straight edge like a steel ruler or a razor blade and slide it across the heatsink face while holding it up to a light. Look for gaps, i.e. where the light shines through.

Also, Sir Bill, many people apply too much thermal paste and create an an unintentional insulating effect. You want only enough paste between the cpu face and the heat sink to eliminate air gaps. That's where the lapping comes in because it makes the surface flatter and you can get away with less thermal paste. Am I making sense? Some people also lap the face of the CPU to make it as flat as possible but, obviously, that voids the warranty.

Following the instructions given in the second post, I've achieved an overclock of 2695 Mhz, and the temp. in Core Temp is showing 48C when loading with OCCT, so I'll quit there, as I don't want the thing to burn out. FoxOne reports the temp as 10 higher on average than Core Temp, which is still 10 degrees off danger (48 + 10 = 58) approx., so there's room (temperature wise) for more.

I'm very pleased, and wish to thank you all for contributing, your help was invaluble, and I would never have done it just from reading guides. It cost me 25 bucks approx, but I've got an extra 495 Mhz for my troubles (2695Mhz-2200Mhz=495Mhz).

Thanks again, and I will certainly be back to help other noobs if I spot a OC-ing virgin, as repayment.

woot!
Nice clock! :):thup:

I wouldn't exceed 1.45v unless I had great cooling and could keep it under 45°C loaded. CoreTemp is the best program I know of for temps and the 50°C limit isn't what I'd call a "hard line". If I were in your position I'd push it a little more keeping the 1.45v as your limit - temps aren't that bad yet ... :)

Back