• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OVERCLOCK PHENOM II X4 965

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kilyan

AMD PHENOMII X4 965 C3+ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER EXTREME REV 2
ASROCK 890GX EXTREME 3
KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESYS 2X4 GB DDR3 1600 CL9 MHZ @9-9-9-24 2t
ASUS GTX 560 TI DCII top stock
CORSAIR AX 650 GOLD

want to take this rig at 4 ghz
How should i proceed?
her eis my bios,don't look how are settings, just tell me how to set it properly:
Can anyone help plz?

Attachments

• 15092012009.jpg
    15092012009.jpg
    624.8 KB · Views: 877
  • 15092012010.jpg
    15092012010.jpg
    609.5 KB · Views: 825
  • 15092012011.jpg
    15092012011.jpg
    588.4 KB · Views: 626
  • 15092012012.jpg
    15092012012.jpg
    533.9 KB · Views: 551
Last edited:
In bios, turn off Cool N Quiet and C1E. Go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance. That should disable all the "green" power-saving stuff that undercuts frequencies and voltages and can interfere with overclocking.

Then, download and install these three programs:

CPU-z
HWMonitor
Prime95

This should help you set the stage to overclock.

1. Open HWMonitor on the desktop and leave it open while . . .
2. You run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes to stress the system and create heat and when that's done. . .
3. Upload an attached pic of the HWMonitor interface so we can look at max core and CPU socket temps

To attach pics first crop and save them to disc using Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. The click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip icon at the top which will load the file browser and uploader. The rest will be obvious.

here are results....
don't know why so small:
zoom in with ctrl+mousewheel

Attachments

• after 20 miunutes of prime95....jpg
    after 20 miunutes of prime95....jpg
    491.3 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:
It's so small because you uploaded a pic of your entire desktop. Please save the individual components as separate images. Crop and save them with Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Frankly, they are so small I cannot read them on my laptop screen. Could you try that again?

here,better:D?

Attachments

• temps.jpg
    temps.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:
Looks like from the bios pics in post #1 that you are already at 4.0 ghz. Is it not stable at the settings as they show in that pic?

If it's not stable yet, then you need more CPU voltage. Getting the 955/965 Deneb CPUs to 4.0 ghz n air generally takes 1.5 or slightly more of CPU voltage. Right now you are at 1.425 vcore (shorthand for CPU voltage). But your core temps are already at 53c. You maybe have 5-8c more of temp headroom to increase the vcore. Really, I think you need a better CPU cooler.

I would also like you to post pics of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD. Separate images, please.

will do tomorrow,time for bed. Anyway i reverted back to default so that is 3.4 ghz. At that freq i have 32 degrees,dont know why goes up so much on
stress! Maybe wrong air flow ..nite

It's normal for the temp to climb under stress. That's why we test it with Prime95 as it simulates what happens when you are putting your computer under heavy load type real world apps - and then some.

What make and model case do you have and how many and how big are the case fans? Where are the fans placed as far as intake/exhaust. Poor case ventilation is often the cause of unexpectedly high temps, especially when you have a good CPU cooler. Other causes are high ambient temps, cooler not mounted well and TIM not applied correctly.

Last edited:
hi i am at work but can answer from phone.my case is a chieftech lcx-01b-b -sl and i have 2 side fan 90 mm s pushing out air on left side. I have cpu fan Of 120 that blows air towards a rear fan 120 mm that push air out. Front panel has some free slots to let fresh air come in. The ali is slotted up and has a bottom 140 fan that gets warm air and pushes out with the ali rear fan. Tim for cpu i used arctic silver 5 and lowered my temp by 9 degrees.

The ali is slotted up and has a bottom 140 fan that gets warm air and pushes out with the ali rear fan. Tim for cpu i used arctic silver 5 and lowered my temp by 9 degrees.

"ali". What's that mean?

Do you mean the temps are improved 9c over what they show in the HWMonitor pic from post #7?

"ali". What's that mean?

Do you mean the temps are improved 9c over what they show in the HWMonitor pic from post #7?
oh sorry,ali is psu in italian:)
Since i added the tim arctic silver 5+the new cooler, they improved of 9,from stock cooler and stock tim
now temps are the one i posted under stress

Last edited:
Unfortunately, your core temps are still rather high at 53c. We know from experience that once core temps reach about 55c you can expect to encounter instability with most AMD CPU lines. Temp-related instability sets in before a temp level is reached that can damage the CPU. With a big CPU cooler like you have I would expect lower core temps at this point of your overclock. I would expect temps in the mid 40s instead of the mid 50s.

Not sure what's going on but my best guess is that your case ventilation is wrong. You said you got 9c lower temps after you redid the TIM so I would not look that direction again unless all other possibilities are exhausted. Your case is very stylish but has very unusual fan placement. It has a bunch of options for fans on the side panel but none to put fans in the front panel. Good case ventilation will move air from the front down low to the rear up high. Side fans can actually disrupt good air flow.

If I were you I'd try rerunning those Prime95/HWMonitor tests with the side panel removed altogether.

After that, I would try running the tests with the two 92mm fans moved from the rear edge of the side panel to the front edge of the side panel (where there are places for five 92mm fans) and I would turn them around so that they push air into he case.

Attached are a couple of representative picture of how case air flow should be done.

Attachments

• computer-tower-cases-01.jpg
    computer-tower-cases-01.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 794
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    9 KB · Views: 449
But on second thought, I need to be clear about something. When you were running that stress test and getting 53c core temps, what was the CPU frequency and voltage set to in bios? Was this at stock settings or overclocked? If the latter, how much? 53c would be too high if it was all at stock but if overclocked significantly then it would not. Increasing CPU voltage and speed makes it run hotter, especially under stress. You said in post #9 that you returned everything to stock but was that before or after you did the 20 minute Prime95 stress test?

But on second thought, I need to be clear about something. When you were running that stress test and getting 53c core temps, what was the CPU frequency and voltage set to in bios? Was this at stock settings or overclocked? If the latter, how much? 53c would be too high if it was all at stock but if overclocked significantly then it would not. Increasing CPU voltage and speed makes it run hotter, especially under stress. You said in post #9 that you returned everything to stock but was that before or after you did the 20 minute Prime95 stress test?

I was at bios defaults except, cool n quiet,c1 and virtual deactivated

Unfortunately, your core temps are still rather high at 53c. We know from experience that once core temps reach about 55c you can expect to encounter instability with most AMD CPU lines. Temp-related instability sets in before a temp level is reached that can damage the CPU. With a big CPU cooler like you have I would expect lower core temps at this point of your overclock. I would expect temps in the mid 40s instead of the mid 50s.

Not sure what's going on but my best guess is that your case ventilation is wrong. You said you got 9c lower temps after you redid the TIM so I would not look that direction again unless all other possibilities are exhausted. Your case is very stylish but has very unusual fan placement. It has a bunch of options for fans on the side panel but none to put fans in the front panel. Good case ventilation will move air from the front down low to the rear up high. Side fans can actually disrupt good air flow.

If I were you I'd try rerunning those Prime95/HWMonitor tests with the side panel removed altogether.

After that, I would try running the tests with the two 92mm fans moved from the rear edge of the side panel to the front edge of the side panel (where there are places for five 92mm fans) and I would turn them around so that they push air into he case.

Attached are a couple of representative picture of how case air flow should be done.

will try this when i can,thx

What is the ambient temperature of the room where the PC is located? High ambient temps can also contribute to high system temps, of course.

Back