• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OVERCLOCK PHENOM II X4 965

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Maybe I haven't been able to get the right version of Intel Burn Test but when I have used it it won't let me choose a higher amount of ram and what shows in the Windows CPU desktop gadget is considerably less than the gadget shows as being used in the Prime95 blend test.

Maybe I haven't been able to get the right version of Intel Burn Test but when I have used it it won't let me choose a higher amount of ram and what shows in the Windows CPU desktop gadget is considerably less than the gadget shows as being used in the Prime95 blend test.

inter burntest version 2.54 uses 90% + while prime uses only 30%

Attachments

• coretemp.jpg
    coretemp.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 67
Well, I'm glad you challenged me about the Intel Burn test vs. Prime95 blend. On the two desktops I have they use significantly different amounts of ram in the Prime95 blend test. Prime95 blend uses 64% of the ram on my main desktop that has 8gb of ram but onl 36% on the backup with only 6 gb of ram. However, I discovered you can make Prime95 use more (or less) ram by selecting the "Custom" option instead of blend.

When I run the Standard option on the Intel Burn test on my backup it only uses (if my memory serves me well) 25% of the ram but if I select the Very High option it uses 92%. It won't let me select Maximum and gives me an error message saying I can't select more memory than I have. So it seems either product uses a different amount of ram on whatever option choose depending on the total amount of ram in the system.

So whichever test you use you can customize the amount ram used. Having said all that, the Prime95 blend test is used as the standard by the majority of overclockers on this forum. Many use others in addition to Prime95 blend, however.

By all means, try for 4.0. What do you have to lose. Just watch temps.

Last edited:
Well, I'm glad you challenged me about the Intel Burn test vs. Prime95 blend. On the two desktops I have they use significantly different amounts of ram in the Prime95 blend test. Prime95 blend uses 64% of the ram on my main desktop that has 8gb of ram but onl 36% on the backup with only 6 gb of ram. However, I discovered you can make Prime95 use more (or less) ram by selecting the "Custom" option instead of blend.

When I run the Standard option on the Intel Burn test on my backup it only uses (if my memory serves me well) 25% of the ram but if I select the Very High option it uses 92%. It won't let me select Maximum and gives me an error message saying I can't select more memory than I have. So it seems either product uses a different amount of ram on whatever option choose depending on the total amount of ram in the system.

So whichever test you use you can customize the amount ram used. Having said all that, the Prime95 blend test is used as the standard by the majority of overclockers on this forum. Many use others in addition to Prime95 blend, however.

By all means, try for 4.0. What do you have to lose. Just watch temps.

about ram used,maybe u cannot select maximum because its currently used,it let u select only free ram
was just wondering because when i pass prime95 tests i don't pass intelburntest.
in intelburntest to select maximum just quick select very high and than maximum.
Now i'm testing battlefield 3 with the 3.9 ghz seems good ,after that will go on 4 ghz, which temp on 4 ghz should i never go over?

Do you pass the Intel Burn Test if you select "Standard"? That is the default, isn't it, just as the blend test is the default for Prime95? I can pass the Intel Burn Test "Standard" test and fail the Prime95 blend test when I'm not truly stable.

Do you pass the Intel Burn Test if you select "Standard"? That is the default, isn't it, just as the blend test is the default for Prime95? I can pass the Intel Burn Test "Standard" test and fail the Prime95 blend test when I'm not truly stable.

no i use maximum,standard is too easy:D
y blend is already selected in prime 95 when program starts
should i touch ht and nb multiplier? they are on 2000 mhz by default

no i use maximum,standard is too easy:D
y blend is already selected in prime 95 when program starts
should i touch ht and nb multiplier? they are on 2000 mhz by default
I'd recommend Prime95 + select "Blend" then select custom to run the same size FFTs (same work being done) and then select 80-90% of available ram. That way it is like maximum Prime95 Blend. :p

If you really want to test CPU only, Small FFT does a nice job, calculations fit in CPU cache and CPU heats up more... but if you are borderline overheating in Blend, forget even trying.

Prime95 is generally recommended for AMD platforms for testing both the CPU (On K10, FPU is really stressed hard) and DRAM at the same time, and doing it well, since it gives several error-outs.

Mersennewiki.org said:
The FFTs are floating-point but the initial and final values of the process must be integer.

Common are:
"FATAL ERROR: Final result was 16295BCF, expected: C75824DB" FP error, cores
"ROUNDING ERROR:..." Memory error, memory subsystem (DRAM, or IMC also Integrated Memory Controller also "CPU-NB")
"ILLEGAL SUMOUT" <---integer error, cores...more popular on the new AMD FX CPUs and not these :bday:

Until you get cores dialed in, leave HT and CPU-NB at 2000. :thup:

I'd recommend Prime95 + select "Blend" then select custom to run the same size FFTs (same work being done) and then select 80-90% of available ram. That way it is like maximum Prime95 Blend. :p

If you really want to test CPU only, Small FFT does a nice job, calculations fit in CPU cache and CPU heats up more... but if you are borderline overheating in Blend, forget even trying.

Prime95 is generally recommended for AMD platforms for testing both the CPU (On K10, FPU is really stressed hard) and DRAM at the same time, and doing it well, since it gives several error-outs.

Common are:
"ROUNDING ERROR:..." Memory error, memory subsystem (DRAM, or IMC also Integrated Memory Controller also "CPU-NB")
"ILLEGAL SUMOUT" <---integer error, cores...more popular on the new AMD FX CPUs and not these :bday:

ok so i redo test at 3.9 selecting custom,leaving the work like i'd select blend and total memory 6500,since 1500 is already in use and will see

Common are:

ok so i redo test at 3.9 selecting custom,leaving the work like i'd select blend and total memory 6500,since 1500 is already in use and will see

after 1 hour prime is still stable and uses 90%+ of ram

now i'm trying the 4ghz but i get either bsod clock interrupt was not received on secondary process or i get in prime 95 rounding was 0.5 expected was 0.4
What should i do? continue increasing vcore?

Started to be stable at 1.5 v and so far no errors!

Attachments

• prime 4 ghz.jpg
    prime 4 ghz.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 60
  • temps.jpg
    temps.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Your core temps are probably now in the unstable range. Need better cooling. And it may not be the fault of the CPU cooler but poor case ventilation or high ambient temps. It is common knowledge that that generation of AMD CPUs would usually start to show instability when core temps begin to exceed mid 50s c.

Also, could you attach pics of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD? That would give lots of info about your system and your bios settings.

yes ill stay on 3.9 1.440 vcore and try to reach max nb multiplier. currently 2600 mhz on 1.2250 v testing prime so far i'm on max 58 degrees

Attachments

• cpu.jpg
    cpu.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 56
  • mb.jpg
    mb.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 54
  • memory.jpg
    memory.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 54
  • temps.jpg
    temps.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 59
yes he is maxed out temp wise, 3900 is it with that cooler.
he might try lowering the cpu/nb and the htt link to 1800 this has given me 2-3c headroom.
in intel burn test choose the custom setting and type in the amout of available ram displayed minus 200 and this will max out amount of ram used. prime 95 is still the tougher test to pass.
if you pass 100 passes of intel burn test you will need and increase in vcore to pass a few hours of prime 95.
I now use intel burn test to test my cooling systems, it produces more heat.

the latest version of intel burn test does the automagicly when maximum is selected.

Last edited:
at 3.9 your only 400mgz behind my 965 with an antec cooler.
very nice overclock.

I confrm with prime all nite reached 59 temp and no errors,so ill stay 3.9 2600 mhz nb multiplier.
I tried 2800 nb multiplier but my pc won't start,is it normal?

Your core temps are probably now in the unstable range. Need better cooling. And it may not be the fault of the CPU cooler but poor case ventilation or high ambient temps. It is common knowledge that that generation of AMD CPUs would usually start to show instability when core temps begin to exceed mid 50s c.

Also, could you attach pics of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD? That would give lots of info about your system and your bios settings.

ambient temp is 22,what should i do about case ventilation?

my bus speed is default 200,how can be advanced too far?

kilyan said:
confrm with prime all nite reached 59 temp and no errors,so ill stay 3.9 2600 mhz nb multiplier.
I tried 2800 nb multiplier but my pc won't start,is it normal?

I was responding to what you wrote in different places. You say you set 2800 speed on the CPU/NB. Well either you did set it at that or not, but either way it is too fast. I don't think 2800Mhz CPU/NB is even available since the highest multiplier for CPU/NB is 13 or 2600 at 200 HT/FSB.

Back