• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking a8-3870

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sabrefv

Registered
I have googled and seen threads on various forums where some were able to easily OC this CPU to 108 FSB and 34 multiplier. The best i can do stable is 106 FSB and 33 multiplier. I've added screenshots of my bios (v1102) at current stable settings. When I try to increase above these settings I get an error on Prime95 saying "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4 Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file." I first tried the multiplier and increased CPu offset voltage, VDDNB voltage, SB 1.1V voltage, APU 1.2 voltage, (one at a time) at least 4 settings above current (i chnaged only one voltage up 1 setting at a time and then retested..then I tried the next voltage and so on) and still I get the same error. Prime 95 fails for the second core (1 blend test running against each core) as soon as that second blend test starts. I then tried to increase FSB to 107 and got the same issues. I have added snapshots of the GPu overclock (800mhz) and ram settings. I'm getting 60FPS and a score of just over 1500 on unigine heaven dx11 benchmark right now with current settings and 33.75 FBS on Cinebench 11 opengl as well as 4.12 CPU. I may have reached the limit of this current CPUs OC capabilities but wanted to ask if anyone could think of any ideas to try and get a bit more OC. I've never done this before and am scared to volt up too high and fry CPU. When I ran PRIME 95 I was getting 55 degree max core temp although it was only on for about 4 minutes when i got the error.
thanks for any help or suggestions.

Attachments

• bios snapshot 1.jpg
    bios snapshot 1.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 497
  • bios snapshot 2.jpg
    bios snapshot 2.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 473
  • bios snapshot 3.jpg
    bios snapshot 3.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 463
  • bios snapshot 4.jpg
    bios snapshot 4.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 480
I just noticed that my mouse hovered over the wrong setting for the GPU OC. It's actually set at 800.

adding results file from my prime95 test runs and some core and cpu-z info as well as OCCT readings

Attachments

• snapshot 5.jpg
    snapshot 5.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 472
  • results.txt
    4.7 KB · Views: 91
Realistically speaking, so far the AMD APU only makes up less than 1% of posts in this cpu section. Maybe even less than 1/2 of 1% so there is not a lot going on day and day out with the APUs yet.

some were able to easily OC this CPU to 108 FSB and 34 multiplier. = What motherboard? What Ram? What CPU cooler were they using. Those are the key questions.

CPu offset voltage, VDDNB voltage, = Doing voltages one at time is only a partial check. Those two voltages are likely best raised together to see an overall better result.

When I see those setups that intrigue me in other forums, I usually have to make contact with that particular individual to determine exactly what they had in use to see if my stuff is even close. Just a cpu against another cpu is often just a poor performance marker since many other things influence the outcome of an overclock.

Back