• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking an AMD 8150 FX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cheetahdefense

Registered
I am building my new computer (my first one :) ) and I was wondering what programs are recommended for overclocking or should i go into the bios and over clock it.
My parts are as follows:
Asus M5A99X Evo AM3+ AMD 990x
8150 FX
H80 liquid cooling
Rosewill blackhawk for the tower (I have 5 120mm fans inside of it)
Sapphire 6950 2gb Oc edition
Kingston Hyperx 3k ssd 120gb
750watt platinum psu
Also should i buy thermal compound for the cpu or does it come with it.

Last edited:
Definitely use the bios manual controls. Not software and even the bios don't use one those auto overclocking genies. We're here to help you know what manual bios controls to interact with. As far as prorgams we don't recommend software to actually effect the overclock but we do use programs to monitor, report and test: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95. Download and install these to prepare.

Also I would prefer it if hardcore intel fans didnt mock me for purchasing the 8150fx, i posted this on toms earlier and the first 50 or so comments were something along the lines of sell it and buy an intel i5 2500k

We get some of that occasionally here but not nearly so much as on other forums, I think. Several new members have switched over to OC Forums recently for that very reason. We were getting some of it right after the Sandybridge 2500k Intels came last year but it's died down. I expected it again after Ivy Bridge debuted Ivy was a little disappointing so it didn't develop.

Definitely use the bios manual controls. Not software and even the bios don't use one those auto overclocking genies. We're here to help you know what manual bios controls to interact with. As far as prorgams we don't recommend software to actually effect the overclock but we do use programs to monitor, report and test: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95. Download and install these to prepare.

Ok, i have never overclocked via bios before, is there anything that i should know before i start? and what is the highest voltage that i should go if im planning on overclocking to around 4.2ghz or so.

Well, it's hard to say what the highest voltatge should be to reach 4.2 because it will vary somewhat with the particular CPU and other supporting components. The best way is to feel your way gradually through the process by making small, incremental changes while testing for stability and monitoring processor temps with every bump up. Temperature of the processor is more important than actual voltage (to a point) and the FX CPUs temps climb quickly after a certain point of voltage increase. Those temps will let you know.

Since your using an Asus board, the TurboEvo software that comes with your mobo is actually pretty good software for doing a rough dial in on your OC...
Probably the best software for tuning on the fly. :D
I use it to get a rough idea as to what things like and then tune with bios from there...

As for the TIM (Thermal paste), I always use Arctic Cooling MX4.
It has good thermal properties and doesn't dry out or turn to glue... :p

cheetah, could you put your system information from post #1 in a "Sig" (and include some information about your ram, please). This is standard forum etiquette so that as the thread gets longer people helping you have ready access to your system information. To create a Sig, go to the top of the page and click on Quick Links and then Edit Signature. Thanks.

Thanks for your cooperation. You're good to work with. We've had some ornery cusses asking for help lately who argue rudely with you at every turn.

Well thank you for your help. I don't understand why people would argue with those helping them.

Definately use manual overclocking and let trents and the rest of us help you dial in the settings. Don't worry about AMD bashing, you'll see a little here and there on this forum but IMOG and the rest don't let it get out of hand. Once you overclock that 8150 to 4.2GHz+ I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised. With the H80 it shouldn't be too difficult getting it to 4.5 and still have very nice temps. One thing to remember, I've seen MB's give different default values to the CPU/NB (usually overvolting it for some reason. Also CPU/NB is not to be confused with the "NB") but stock CPU/NB is 2000 @ 1.175V. I've taken it to 2200 still at 1.175V. Just FYI for when you start going over the settings.

4.0 should just be a matter of setting the vcore to whatever normal is (rather than AUTO) and turning the multiplier up. It's a very rare chip that can't do it. My 8150 does 4.1 on the stock cooler quite happily.
With good cooling 4.5 should be fairly easy as well.

The folks around here will definitely steer you in the correct direction.

cheetahdefense, I came to the forums looking for help, saw your post, and we have really similar hardware, except i still have a support question not answered by Corsair about the compatibility of the H80 water cooler, since their specs only go as far as the AM3 socket,and ours are AM3+. Would you mind if I sorta looked over your shoulder as these guys school you on overclocking your system? I've been building my own systems since '91 as a hobby, trying new technologies, aiming for that perfect combination that will make a computer fly like the wind. I've had two water cooled systems and dabbled at overclocking, and I am a SERIOUS AMD PROCESSOR SUPPORTER, those intel fanboys can go blank it! Anyway, I'll be around, if that's ok with you :))

cheetahdefense, I came to the forums looking for help, saw your post, and we have really similar hardware, except i still have a support question not answered by Corsair about the compatibility of the H80 water cooler, since their specs only go as far as the AM3 socket,and ours are AM3+. Would you mind if I sorta looked over your shoulder as these guys school you on overclocking your system? I've been building my own systems since '91 as a hobby, trying new technologies, aiming for that perfect combination that will make a computer fly like the wind. I've had two water cooled systems and dabbled at overclocking, and I am a SERIOUS AMD PROCESSOR SUPPORTER, those intel fanboys can go blank it! Anyway, I'll be around, if that's ok with you :))

Socket AM3 and AM3+ are exactly the same physically.

Back