• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking an AMD 8150 FX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AMD does not support triple channel memory. Dont confuse DDR 3 with triple channel memory the IMC isnt strong enough ordesigned for it thats more of Intel teritory. I am sure someone more knowlegable than me on memory can tell you the difference.

Overview of the ram as shown at NewEgg. 1.65V DDR3 ram does not seem to be very modern since DDR3 ram is using 1.5V and some even 1.35V today. So when I generally believe ram is ram, this particular ram might give problems for an AMD motherboard. I see nothing that hints the ram is rated or tested to work with AMD motherboard. Most of the time ram is hyped for Intel boards and in the last few words says it works on AMD also, BUT this ram is not hyped that way.

This dual-channel HyperX memory kit is Intel XMP-Certified, and runs at a latency timing of 9-9-9-27 at 1.65V operating voltage for Intel dual-channel Sandy Bridge P67 or Z68 platforms.

AMD does not support triple channel memory. Dont confuse DDR 3 with triple channel memory the IMC isnt strong enough ordesigned for it thats more of Intel teritory. I am sure someone more knowlegable than me on memory can tell you the difference.

Excuse me, but a set of three memory sticks in a high performance set is most definitely triple channel memory, not just because it's DDR3. Maybe someone else needs to talk to someone more knowledgible about memory,because I've worked with high performance memory for many years. If you read more closely, I was stating which Kingston memory that ASUS included in their compatibility paper. I didn't say that it would work in an AMD system. I was pointing out the fact that only triple channel memory was in the list, aand the problem memory was 2 sticks of Kingston memory, which means the memory used was not tested to work on that motherboard. I went on further to say my advice would be to get TWO sticks of memory that was tested to work and try them before he does anything else that might make matters worse. I'm sorry, but I shouldn't have to defend my knowledge or my statements unless i'm wrong, and if you're going to criticize my experience, you'd better have some proof, not just an opinion.

Warhippy, bassnut may have misunderstood what you were trying to say but I don't think he was criticizing your experience.Take it easy, man.

If he has a motherboard speaker that would be useful too to plug into the front panel header.

I (personally) want to know if it is beeping, and if it isn't beeping with RAM inserted, if it is without it...

I do have a speaker for the mobo. it doesnt beep ever....

I do have a speaker for the mobo. it doesnt beep ever....

Just to make sure we're on the same page, we're talking about the tiny speaker that connects to the board itself, not speakers that plug into the I/O ports at the back. Right?

lol thats what I get for posting when I first get up and in a rush. No offence ment warhippy and by far knowlege of ram is probably my weekest.

Generally when I hear talk about tripple channel ram I think adout the triple channel kits for the intel kits. Just a misunderstanding. I have played with ram a bit with my FX CPU and the CHV Motherboard and my feeling concure with RGones as far as the compatibility lists go though I have some very good Kingston ram and AData ram at home that just doesn't like my system at all eventhough it will boot. Some ram just doesnt seem to like my system wheather it be the cpu or the motherboard ...... who knows. Of all the ram I have ever used only 1 has ever been on the qualified venders list I have found that ram from GSKILL has proven the most compatible whith the least problems of any ram I have tested on my systems. Now I ahve to run as I am late ......

i tried 1,2,3,4 stcks of ram. and moved them around etc.
asus said with that motherboard to not only use one stick of ram upon first boot, but also make sure you only use on type of storage until you load windows, so make sure you just use either your ssd or your hdd don't have both hooked up on first boot.

I apologize for my oversensitive defense of the advice I posted. When I post a question, I pay attention to the response and try to learn from it. When I post advice, it's from experience on the subject, not my opinion. I guess I expect other people to accept this without qualification, which is wrong. My experience with memory producers is, most configure their fastest memory to support Intel cpu's, with some support for AMD cpu's. Kingston is one of those. I bought some Kingston KHX 433 MHz memory for an ASUS A78N system I was building, and of course I couldn't get it to boot at that speed, because it wasn't an Intel board. That is my experience with Kingston memory on ASUS boards with an AMD cpu. My advice to anyone building an AMD platform,steer clear of Kingston memory.

It does seem we have more issues reported on the AMD side of the forum with Kingston than we do with most other brands.

Nothing to apologise for WarHippy it is so easy to misunderstan the meaning of typed words. I have to admit my way of expressing things especially with terminology is not great as such I am not a great teacher part of why I dont post as often as I do on here to help. A good example when I was in the military and doing my sub qualifications I drove my instructors nuts when explaining how diferent systems worked, we had to not only know how to do our job on board the sub but everyone elses as well.

Cheers

My Corsair H80 cpu cooler was delivered yesterday, so of course it's mounted and working now. The original poster hasn't posted for a few days, hopefully that means that he got his system up and running. If so, I'm very curious what he changed that allowed it to post and boot up. That info would help anyone that came here looking for help with a similar problem. If it's still not getting thru the POST, I ran into something while installing the H80 last night that might cause a problem, since Corsair only includes pictures of the install, with no text describing what the pictures mean. I finally went to their site looking for a written installation guide and found none. I did find a video showing the install, and the only important thing I learned from it might be the reason cheetahdefense's system is not finishing the POST. The electrical connectors from the pump have a three prong mini-plug and the larger 4-prong plug. When I saw that, I automatically thought the larger plug could be used instead of the mini plug. The video made it a point to say that the mini plug goes into the cpu-fan connector on the motherboard, and the larger plug goes to the PSU. Maybe it will work with only one of them plugged in, but my experience with those mini plugs is this. A three prong plug is for a steady power supply, and a four prong plug is for power that you can control how much power is delivered. A small thing, but it might just cause the post to hang if both are not plugged in.

The pump draws its power from the 4 pin Molex as it needs more than the 4 pin CPU Fan controller / fan header can give. The 3 pin will be just 1 wire for rpm monitoring. It has been like that with the H70, H100 and Antec 920 as well as my D5 water pumps in my custom loop. If he had forgot the 3 pin plug he would have got a CPU Fan failure warning ..... Press F1 to configure and it would have sent him back to the bios.

I've been reading a bit about overclocking my CPU.
I too have a AMD FX-8150 @ 3.6Ghz, with an ASUS M5A99X Evo AM3+ motherboard.
I guess the CPU has a stock cooler/fan. But I'm using a Coolermaster 690 II Advanced midi case with 2 top fans and 2 front fans.
RAM: 8GB DDR3/1600 Corsair XMS3 CL9 KIT / 2x 4GB
GFX: ATI Radeon HD 7870

I'm looking to OC it to at least 4.0Ghz specifically for GW2, since that lousy game isn't capable of using all cores and has terrible Framerate in some areas, because it's CPU heavy.
I've just installed HWMonitor, is that enough or should I get CPU-z and Prime95 as well?
I understand that the safest way of OC'ing my PC is by manually increasing the multiplier one step at a time and monitor the temperature for a few hours, while playing GW2, correct?
But, to OC it, I simply increase the multiplier and don't touch any of the other settings at all? Not the voltage or anything? I've OC'ed an old computer, with a friend who knew more about it, like 15 years ago, and I remember something similar, but yeah, long time ago and an old PC. This one is pretty new ;)

Last edited:
Back