• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking an AMD 8150 FX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
all the corsair all in one coolers will fit am3+ boards, I have owned all three and have run them on the fx and phenom 2 processors, fit is not an issue as long as you keep the "corsair"
so it reads properly when in stalled, this keeps the pump intake down.

Ok, so I got all my parts, tried to put them together. But the system wont boot up to let me see the bios. I followed the instructions exactly. The mobo has lights to show what is plugged in. It registers the proccesor, but says that the gpu, ram, and ssd are not there. I tried switching the ssd for the hard drive, the hdd is getting power bc i can hear it. BUT it still isnt registering on mobo lights. Can someone please help because i have no idea what is wrong.

try doind a full power down, pull the plug and do a cmos reset first.

when you try to reboot, please use only one stick of ram....

Last edited:
find you motherboard manual it will be called cmos or rtc, real time clock.
also be sure your 4 or 8 pin cpu power connector is well plugged in.

find you motherboard manual it will be called cmos or rtc, real time clock.
also be sure your 4 or 8 pin cpu power connector is well plugged in.

Tried moving the little pin thing, then tried removing the battery, after moving the pin thing back. Still wont boot to the bios menu...:(

unplug the powercord. take a toothpick and firmly push each terminal firmly into place on the 24 pin connector and the four or 8 pin connector
remove all memory sticks and reinstall only one, besure it is installed correctly
unplug any disk drives and try to reboot.

please give us a list of what you did please. perhaps we can find a clue in that.

I'm thinking he just installed an h80 and a couple of fans.
strike that, had to go back to post 1, it's a new build.

Last edited:
Sounds like you may have a short.

A common mistake for new builders is to have the brass standoffs (between case and Motherboard) out of position or in the wrong holes for their board size...

If you can't figure it out, you may need to pull the board and check that.

If you do, try running the board outside the case before you re-assemble it.

Ok, so I got all my parts, tried to put them together. But the system wont boot up to let me see the bios. I followed the instructions exactly. The mobo has lights to show what is plugged in. It registers the proccesor, but says that the gpu, ram, and ssd are not there. I tried switching the ssd for the hard drive, the hdd is getting power bc i can hear it. BUT it still isnt registering on mobo lights. Can someone please help because i have no idea what is wrong.
Not catching exactly what you meant.

The machine starts up, but CPU_LED on the motherboard is stuck lit?

In that case, the board is FUBAR, or the CPU is dead.

I agree with Daveburt who suggested you may be shorting the motherboard against the case. It is common for inexperienced system builders to misplace the brass standoffs that hold the motherboard up off the case tray.

When I am building a system from scratch I typically conncect the essential parts on a desktop outside the case to eliminate the potential problem of an electrical groundout. I would suggest you try this. Take out the PSU, hard drive, video card, ram and DVD drive and connect them all up on a desktop or table top. We call this "breadboarding" it. Put something under the motherboard (the box it came in works well) to provide clearance to the "foot" of the video card front plate that normally extends into a slot past the front edge of the motherboard tray.

Some other things to check:

1. Make sure the ram sticks and the video card are securely seated in their slots.
2. Make sure you have both power wire harnesses from the PSU connected to the motherboard. There is a big 24-pin one and there is a smaller one that will be either 4 pins or 8 pins that connects to the board in the upper right quadrant. The female component of the connector on the board will have 8 pins but the male part may have 4 or 8 pins (either will do) and has black and yellow wires.
3. If neither 1. or 2. above solves the problem, try just one stick of ram and try both of them in turn.
4. Try resetting the CMOS again with the pins. This is often done improperly and if so the bios can be permanently corrupted. To do this properly, first power down the compter and unplug the PSU cord from the wall socket. Before moving the jumper, wait until all the lights on the mtherboard go out. To speed this up just push the case power button to discharge the capacitors. Move the jumper to the other pins. Waith 30 seconds. Move the jumper back. Then power back up. Moving the pins with power to the board can permanently corrupt the bios.
5. If none of the above helps, remove the CPU cooler, clean the thermal paste off the CPU. Remove the CPU and carefully inspect the under side of it for bent pins. Do it under a bright light. Turn it this way and that to allow the light to hit the pins at different angles.

@trents and daveburt
His PC would be turning off if there was a short I would think.
It looks to me his board is hanging on CPU_LED, from what he says.

The lights on the board aren't to show what is plugged in, but what stage of the boot initialization sequence the board is on for debugging.

...The mobo has lights to show what is plugged in. It registers the proccesor, but says that the gpu, ram, and ssd are not there. I tried switching the ssd for the hard drive, the hdd is getting power bc i can hear it. BUT it still isnt registering on mobo lights. ...
Sounds to me like bad CPU, or pre-BD BIOS, or the board is dead...

I think BeepBeep has something there. Cheetah do you by chance have an older cpu that will work with this board or can you borrow one from a friend. You might need to flash your bios with the lates version to work with your FX8120.

The FX Chips reqire the 0813 Bios. Found this with a bit of diggin with google....

Look at the sticker on the board. Last numbers are the BIOS version. If it's 402 then you need to do a Bios update, to 705 or 810, to use the new AMD FX cpu. I had to buy a semprom am3 version, do a BIOS update and after that the system booted ok. Mail or phone to this company was of no use. After the update you get a great system. On the phone they told me that every barebone is verified for compatibility. Someone missed this needed update to get the system to recognize the new FX cpu. Verify the sticker for new board or be prepared to a little fiddling."

Read more: http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/asus-m5a99x-evo-amd-fx-6100-cpu-bundle-reviews#ixzz23lmYhJ2i

Possible, but it's very unlikely a new CPU will be dead out of the box. Somewhat more likely with the motherboard. I think I'd first check the bios version issue according to the instructions in bassnut's post. That doesn't cost anything. I'd also check for bent pins. Then I'd go for the sempron. It's nice to have a spare processor around anyway.

@trents and daveburt
His PC would be turning off if there was a short I would think.
It looks to me his board is hanging on CPU_LED, from what he says.

The lights on the board aren't to show what is plugged in, but what stage of the boot initialization sequence the board is on for debugging.

Ooops... I was at work when I posted that and missed the part about the CPU light staying on. :rolleyes:
That would definetly indicate a board/CPU problem or, most likely an old bios that doesn't support the FX. Good catch Beep!
I have seen shorts that don't shut the system down though, depends where it is...

All very good advice here! If you follow all these steps and the board still won't post it may be RMA time... :(

Tried moving the little pin thing, then tried removing the battery, after moving the pin thing back. Still wont boot to the bios menu...:(
Hello, I'm kinda new to the whole pc building also, but when I called asus (and by the way we have the same board) they told me to only use on stick of ram and only have one drive for storage hooked up upon first boot up, hope this helps!

Back