• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking an AMD 8150 FX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think BeepBeep has something there. Cheetah do you by chance have an older cpu that will work with this board or can you borrow one from a friend. You might need to flash your bios with the lates version to work with your FX8120.

The FX Chips reqire the 0813 Bios. Found this with a bit of diggin with google....
Yes it wil need the bios 0813 or newer and to find out which bios you have just look for the bar code next to the 24 pin plug on the motherboard the last 4 digits will be your bios version, hope this helps!!

I have the same motherboard, and the downloaded verified memory compatibility list. Kingston 1600 memory is only verified using two sticks at 4gb (2X2gb). The rest is triple channel, 6gb (3X2gb), 12gb (3X4gb), and 24gb (3X8gb). Your memory might work, it just hasn't been verified to work. Also, ASUS is using weird memory sockets, they only clamp at the top. It's easy to clamp the top of the stick and not have the bottom seated. It could be cocked, mine was at first and wouldn't boot. Check the side of the memory, where it plugs in, and make sure the top and bottom look like they are plugged in equally. If you don't find a problem there, try booting with only one stick in socket A2 (2nd socket away from processor), make sure the EPU and TPU switches are turned off, at least til you get the system running. If it doesn't boot, remove that stick and insert the other stick and retry. It wasn't clear to me, what you meant by , the cpu was found but the others (memory, hdd, video) were not. If you mean the led POST lights are only recognizing the cpu, my understanding of what the manual means is, those lights are only supposed to remain lit if there's a problem with that device. If the cpu light is the only one staying lit, to me, that means there is a problem with the cpu and the post would stop there. Make sure the fan plug from the H80 system is plugged into the plugin named CPU_FAN, and it has to be a 4-wire plug. If nothing is plugged in there, the bios will call it a cpu error and stop, so voltage isn't sent to a cpu with no heatsink attached, ruining the cpu. If you haven't found any problems yet, remove the water cooler, scrape the old heatsink material off the cpu very carefully, check the stock cpu fan that came with your processor, make sure the thermal compound is intact, and install the stock fan, til you get the system running without any problems. When I build a new system, I always try to start with everything stock , if I can. After I know the system works, I can modify one thing at a time. That way, if the system stops working, I know the problem lies in the last thing I changed. I hope one of these things gets your system working, I know the frustration you're feeling. You're not alone.

I have the same motherboard, and the downloaded verified memory compatibility list. Kingston 1600 memory is only verified using two sticks at 4gb (2X2gb). The rest is triple channel, 6gb (3X2gb), 12gb (3X4gb), and 24gb (3X8gb). Your memory might work, it just hasn't been verified to work. Also, ASUS is using weird memory sockets, they only clamp at the top. It's easy to clamp the top of the stick and not have the bottom seated. It could be cocked, mine was at first and wouldn't boot. Check the side of the memory, where it plugs in, and make sure the top and bottom look like they are plugged in equally. If you don't find a problem there, try booting with only one stick in socket A2 (2nd socket away from processor), make sure the EPU and TPU switches are turned off, at least til you get the system running. If it doesn't boot, remove that stick and insert the other stick and retry. It wasn't clear to me, what you meant by , the cpu was found but the others (memory, hdd, video) were not. If you mean the led POST lights are only recognizing the cpu, my understanding of what the manual means is, those lights are only supposed to remain lit if there's a problem with that device. If the cpu light is the only one staying lit, to me, that means there is a problem with the cpu and the post would stop there. Make sure the fan plug from the H80 system is plugged into the plugin named CPU_FAN, and it has to be a 4-wire plug. If nothing is plugged in there, the bios will call it a cpu error and stop, so voltage isn't sent to a cpu with no heatsink attached, ruining the cpu. If you haven't found any problems yet, remove the water cooler, scrape the old heatsink material off the cpu very carefully, check the stock cpu fan that came with your processor, make sure the thermal compound is intact, and install the stock fan, til you get the system running without any problems. When I build a new system, I always try to start with everything stock , if I can. After I know the system works, I can modify one thing at a time. That way, if the system stops working, I know the problem lies in the last thing I changed. I hope one of these things gets your system working, I know the frustration you're feeling. You're not alone.

Ok so the board has the little led lights for cpu, vga, boot device, and dram. The cpu stays lit, the dram flashes (meaning problem?), the vga doesnt even light up, and the boot device doesnt light up. the board says rev 1.01 is that what the problem is?

Yes it wil need the bios 0813 or newer and to find out which bios you have just look for the bar code next to the 24 pin plug on the motherboard the last 4 digits will be your bios version, hope this helps!!

the last four digits are 0901. Will that work? or does it go in reverse order like 1 is newest, 1000 is oldest?

No, higher bios version number means more recent. So that is not the problem.

What else have you tried? We gave you quite a few suggestions. What about breadboarding the components? Have you checked for bent pins?

@trents and daveburt
His PC would be turning off if there was a short I would think.
It looks to me his board is hanging on CPU_LED, from what he says.

The lights on the board aren't to show what is plugged in, but what stage of the boot initialization sequence the board is on for debugging.

Sounds to me like bad CPU, or pre-BD BIOS, or the board is dead...

Ok so what i did yesterday was rma the board to newegg, then i went to my local electronics store bought the same exact board (for 10$ cheaper) and re hooked everything up following the exact directions that came with the motherboard. I am still having the exact same problem. So im thinking either the ram is messed up or the cpu is. The cpu light stays on(meaning it works?) and the ram light flashes. But neither the light for the gpu nor the light for boot device light up. I have tried switching the ssd for a hdd to test if it is getting power ( i can hear/feel the hdd working). So it must be something in how i set it up. But i cant figure out what.

No, higher bios version number means more recent. So that is not the problem.

What else have you tried? We gave you quite a few suggestions. What about breadboarding the components? Have you checked for bent pins?

I looked for bent pins on the cpu and couldnt find any. and idk what breadboarding means so...

Did you try basic trouble shooting things like taking out all but one stick or ram, trying each stick at time and moving them around to the various slots? Did you try resetting the CMOS accordin to the instructions for doing it correctly I gave? I'm concerned you jumped to the conclusion that the board was bad before systematically elimnating other possibilities.

So now the CPU_LED is stuck on (No, this does not mean it works, it usually means the CPU is dead) and the DRAM_LED is flashing?

It is possible that the IMC of the CPU is dead if the ram is okay. (This is just a guess, lol)

I have this phenomenon on a board here which a copper trace to DRAM slots from CPU burned up, my repair fixed it but the solder came loose and stripped the trace back to where it crosses PCB. Further repairs failed (grinding PCB down to find solderable spot, as I ended up finding another layer of copper interconnects meaning electrical short)

Anyway, because something in DRAM <> CPU lines is shorted, it holds CPU LED and flashes DRAM LEDs when I insert DRAM.

Yeah, but he just put in a new board and it's doing the same thing so I wouldn't think it would be the motherboard itself.

Cheetah, have you tested ram and slot combinations with the new board? And did you check the bios version of the new board? I still think you should breadboard it.

So i just got off the phone with asus, They said that the ram that i have which is khx1600c9d3k4/16gx is not compatible with the motherboard. Does the POST have a testing order, could that explain why it isnt doing anything with the gpu, or the ssd/hdd

Yes, the posting process reveals there is an order of checkup.

GSkill ram seems to have a wide compatibility range. I have never heard of GSKill ram being incompatible in anyone's machine. And get 1866 mhz ram since the FX integrated memory controller (ICM) easily handles that speed. Get ram that only needs 1.5v to run at its rated speed. A lot of Kingston ram seems to need 1.65v.

I'm sorry but don't take that bullcrap from ASUS phone support.

All ddr3 must be compatible with jedec specification, it will at least boot up 1066 cl7, 1333 cl9 or 1600 cl9 1.5v by default.

Memory is memory, trust me. Does not matter what brand is on the label.

These boards do not light up CPU_LED for problems with DRAM. Each light lights up individually, and if they hand on a certain light, that part is usually the problem

Posting from phone sorry for typos

They probably just searched the QVL list for the motherboard and told you it wasn't compatible. Thing is those lists only have what ASUS tested themselves and are usually never updated after the board is released.

I don't disagree with what you say Beepy and Knufire and I've said that to many posters on this forum, but it occasionally does happen that ram is incompatible with a board even when it is the appropriate technology ram for the board. It wouldn't be the first time but I certainly would look at other things first. Cheetah has not tried breadboarding it yet for instance. There's some things he hasn't tried that we've suggested.

If he has a motherboard speaker that would be useful too to plug into the front panel header.

I (personally) want to know if it is beeping, and if it isn't beeping with RAM inserted, if it is without it...

Well, I tried to tell you in my post that the memory was not compatible with that motherboard. Since you bought the memory in a pair of two, it's almost for sure dual channel memory. The only memory that Asus shows as compatible from Kingston is triple channel memory, or 3 sticks. The manual also states very clearly that if the component its checking during POST has a problem, the light will light up and flash. So, there's a problem with your ram. Before you go any further, my advice would be, go buy two sticks of ram that ARE on the compatibility list, install them and see what happens. Since POST got to the memory, it must have checked the cpu and found it in order. Then it tested ram and found a problem and stopped, leaving the blinking light to indicate WHY it stopped. It never got to the vga card or the hdd, so those lights didn't light. You may have to reset the CMOS and the instructions for doing that are very clear and in the manual

Back