• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

random44

Registered
Hi All,

Can you please share your view on what temp is considered safe ?

My cpu is 8350 and have msi board.

now starting my overclocking adventure, can anyone advice what do you guys see as safe temp?

My case and core remp is around 20-30 now when idle and when loaded close to 40ish .

looking at cpu z and core temp my max temp for the cpu is 90 .

how do I find out what it is for the board and gpu and how do you run your.

all your help is much appreciated.

Un less you've got that new PSU installed and running with it you shouldn't be meesing with that. Your old one will kill it.

I have a good 650 borrowed and it is silver certified while getting mine so all good there.

Last edited:
What brand model number is it? Just because it is silver certified, doesn't mean it is a quality psu.

Your msi board is still not good enough for that cpu, since it is only a 4 phase board.

it was 6 , anyway the point is what is the temp you guys keep it as.

I am going to push it to see how far I get but need to know where I should stop at .

could always install a fan on vrm and northbridge

Right now before you push it , the best course of action is to run Prime95 blend test on stock settings. To get a baseline of temps and voltages. Run it for approx. 20 minutes with HWMonitor free version open to keep an eye on things. Near the end of the run take some snipds and post them up here so we can have a look at what is going on.
What we need to see is CPUz main, spd and memory tabs and a shot of HWMonitor while it was under load. Max temp for CPU core/ package in hwmonitor is 62c and socket temp is 72c

have run it for the past 5 hours on prime maximum heat as stock speed of 4Ghz (20*200)

max emp was 52 for cpu and 44 for board within the few hours of work.

have 2 gpu one at 31 and the other upto 65 .

I have to open the 2nd one and maybe re apply silicon as it is getting extremly hot .

although i should say it is on the bottom of the case and clearance of around 15mm to the base so maybe it can't dissipate much heat.

now as soon as i fiddle with it it crashes, for cpu I have cpu nb, cpu sb. cpu pll and nb voltage plus core voltage to play with .

how do you guys deal with it? change all cpu values at once?

I was out for a while but checking the max field for hwmonitor, what is worrying is I have tMPIN0 and TMPIN2 and TMPIN2 max was 90 degrees

TEMPIN0 is socket I think. what is 2?

Last edited:
here we go,

you will notice I have a 10 phase board now and did't mention it as thought would get attacked :( but it is msi 10 phase now so should be capable of running it

6oiqg0.png.jpg

I would suggest at this point random you put up a signature so the ones here helping out know what parts you are using. You mention you cards but I thought there was only one anyway. I would pull the 4890 out of that box unless you have a specific reason to use it. Otherwise it's just adding heat and pulling power. It won't help your gaming in any way I can think of.

need two screens hence why I have it and want to reduce load on each

trying with multiplier and going a bit crazy so 22 from 20 and it crashes straight.

that is only 400mhz

not sure of the safe cpu volt so reading the article and will increase cpu voltage but as mentioned earlier there are so many of them

Last edited:
CPU V_Core is the one you want. Just add a bit at a time and test. You should go up in smaller steps too. 400 MHz is a pretty good jump all at once in the CPU world.

cool in your experience, what do you consider a good prime95 test ?

I use maximum heat (first option) and if it runs for 10-20 mins then i think system is stable and move up

when got to the absolute maximum then I simply run it for 5-6 hours and if all good then i am good

but is the initial 20 mins enough to conclude a system is most likely going to be safe?

we move one thing at a time, get it stable at min vcore we can get away with then take the next step.
we go from 20x200 to 20.5x200, get it stable, it's slow and easy because it gets expensive when we take big steps.

sure but was a bit impaintent and increased the vcore from 1.3250 to 1.4405 so the make big jumps , find where it crashed and get it down slowly.

currently running a 21x 210 at 1.4405 but soon will decrease voltage to see if it is still stable.
cpu temp is 56 so well under 60

re testing and approch on prime 95, how do you conduct your testing?

First it was 22x200 now it's 21x210. You won't get anywhere by just plugging in numbers and crossing your fingers. Follow that guide it will tell you exactly what you need to do to get a good stable overclock. When you start raising the cpu bus frequency to 210 then you are also raisng ram speed, NB speed an the HT speed. You won't know why it's crashing if you don't do this systematically.

I have tried for the past hour or so and maximum speed is 4.4 where I can see people with 8130 which is 3.8 have gained 4.4

my temp is well below 60 but can't get it up.

vcore voltage is on 1.4405 so max setting .

I have got the 4.4 either using fsb or multiplier or mix and match and it is stable but as soon as I hit 4.5 it is not.

if my system is cool and have max volt on it then I don't think there is much else I can do to oced .

my ram is rated at 1866 and 2100 if oced (corsair vengence ) and I have dropped it to 1333 for sake of me first finding the ideal cpu speed.

the msi claims the motherboard has hit 8.3ghz which I think it a trash talk
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/990FXAGD80.html#hero-overview

Back