• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking the Q8200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey guys do you think it's a good idea to use Vdroop or should it just be disabled?

what Mobo are you running man? You should have no problem at stock ram settings with DDR3.

my Asus P45 board and DDR2 get a little warm. I rigged a fan to cool the ram and NB to get it to run 500fsb (2000mhz rated fsb). My Cpu needed a notch above 1.3v and a almost unhealthy bump to 1.3v on the NB also.
I did turn on the Vdroop enhancement in my bios.

025.jpg

Last edited:
Not going to lie man, thats one dirty inside your rig! Clean out that dust, your computer will love you for it!!

2.1v seems to be working on the ram, I had the worst application of thermal paste in the history of computers, so I took apart my computer (for the 2nd time in 4 days, 1'st time for a complete cleaning which is a bi-monthly process) and correctly applied thermal paste, dropped my core temps 5c, I think I'm going to try pushing for 3.1 or 3.2 soon, wish me luck!

I've been lowering core voltages slowly, i'm down to 1.325, what should I have for 3.2ghz? how about memory voltage? should I need to go higher for that? Timings? Any suggestions? I know its all trial and error, just looking for advice! thanks for y'alls help so far.

Yes, its specs listed as 999-24 @ 1.7v.....follow that for now.
Your current timing 777-21 is kinda tight which may get you BSOD when increasing fsb.

When disired speed obtained, you may try to tighten it up a little bit like 888-24

Am I correct? Someone would know more about ddr3 may chime in anytime now. :)

EDIT: my bad.....mistaken with two members at the same time. APPLEG has ddr2 and PWN has ddr3

@APPLEG: How is your vdroop? You might be interested with pencil mod on your P5Q-VM
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=6308312&postcount=8

Last edited:
I've gotten it to 3.0ghz, but it won't post any higher than a 430fsb, i've tried pushing up the voltage on both the cpu and memory but it doesn't do anything. I feel kind of stuck, I don't know what else I might want to raise, ect. ? According to Cpu-z I don't get ANY vdrop, power seems pretty stable. Under load Cpuz says I'm running 1.36v (set at 1.352500 w/e on the board) The pencil mod seems to be for a P5E-vm, I'm not sure if there is a difference between that and the P5Q, though I'm not a huge person for messing with that kind of stuff (bad experience w/ soldering, 2 xboxes and 1 ps2 slim, all gone down the drain :-\ lol)

I've gotten it to 3.0ghz, but it won't post any higher than a 430fsb, i've tried pushing up the voltage on both the cpu and memory but it doesn't do anything. I feel kind of stuck, I don't know what else I might want to raise, ect. ? According to Cpu-z I don't get ANY vdrop, power seems pretty stable. Under load Cpuz says I'm running 1.36v (set at 1.352500 w/e on the board) The pencil mod seems to be for a P5E-vm, I'm not sure if there is a difference between that and the P5Q, though I'm not a huge person for messing with that kind of stuff (bad experience w/ soldering, 2 xboxes and 1 ps2 slim, all gone down the drain :-\ lol)
I seem to be hitting a wall at 3.0ghz, I have the arctic cooling freezer 7. So I just purchased the scythe mugen 2 today to see if i can push it further.

prime952hr30ghs13v.png

Your rams specs says 566-18 which is not that great for PC6400
Try set your current setting from 566-15 to 566-18
If that didn't work...try 677-18.......kinda loose though but that may allow you to set higher fsb.

putting my memory at 5-6-6-18 pushed to 430x7 up from 420, but wouldn't budge past that and 6-7-7-18 didn't help either. I'm guessing I need to upgrade my memory if I want to go higher? What model memory would be recommended?

my memory timings right now are at 5-6-6-17.. should i alter mine, i can not get past 2.6ghz on my q8200 ive raised vcore and still nothing. so should changing the ram timings help? and if so, what should i change them to?
Thanks

my memory timings right now are at 5-6-6-17.. should i alter mine, i can not get past 2.6ghz on my q8200 ive raised vcore and still nothing. so should changing the ram timings help? and if so, what should i change them to?
Thanks

What type of ram do you have? Also you may have to tweak your vram to be able to push higher clocks.

im not sure what kind, nothing good. but took one stick out and that helped. now im at 6-6-6-18 with +.3v on the (G)CMH or whatever and got to 2.7 last night played on it for couple hours then ran tests for 9 hours and everything was fine then this morning after i stopped tests and played on it it froze on me twice so i lowered it to 2.66 and my vcore is as high as it is suppose to go almost. so im getting new ram in here soon hopefully g.skill 1066 so hopefully that will help.

These are the temps after changing my cooler from a arctic cooling freezer 7 pro to a mugen 2. How much more do you think I can squeeze out now?
1333mhz DDR3 4gb
EVGAnforce 790i
mugenq8200.jpg

Back