• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking the Q8200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i never said go that way but sorry if you took it that way. im saying buy new ram basicly, that is if you can...

eh, i took it as what i had was wrong so i figured i would try something else. im not sure what the RAM timings do or how to use them properly i just messed around with them a little. and when i can afford some ram i may get a new set. since ive begun overclocking it makes me want a whole new system with a CPU and motherboard i can actually clock better on! ha. but thanks for the info!

Your rams are all miss match and not that great.
You could do better without the 2GB (1x1) and just use 2 sticks (2x2). Try that.

so take out the 2 1gb sticks? hmm ill have to try that. you think that will make a difference? one doesnt even show up who made it and the other is samsung or something.
Thanks for the info though i may do that here after i get off work!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I was looking at all the great oc's in this thread and have to say Awesome job!

I will start by listing my specs:
EVGA 790i ftw ultra
XMS3 DDR3 4gb PC3-10666 (1333MHz)
GTX 260 (720/1200)
Q8200 @ 2.97gHz

Do you guys think I can squeeze more out of it?
q8200297ghz.jpg

Hey guys, I was looking at all the great oc's in this thread and have to say Awesome job!

I will start by listing my specs:
EVGA 790i ftw ultra
XMS3 DDR3 4gb PC3-10666 (1333MHz)
GTX 260 (720/1200)
Q8200 @ 2.97gHz

Do you guys think I can squeeze more out of it?
q8200297ghz.jpg

You should start by looking at improving the cooling of your cpu, 85 to 93c is way too high.

Nah I think you're hitting a temperature wall there. Maybe you could make it to 3ghz?

Is it because my voltage is to high? Also those temps are when testing under intel cpuburner with maximum test.

btw my HS is the Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro

Last edited:
Voltage and temp are a frustrating combo. If you lowered the voltage you would lower the temp, which might actually allow a larger overclock despite the lower voltage.

I don't think the freezer 7 is doing it's job, i'd pull it off and check how well it was seated.
Then i'd probably replace it with a xigmatek hdt-1283 or sunbeam CCF.

I lowered my voltages and was able to obtain better temperatures. The max values are under stress from cpu burner. I will try re-seating and applying my thermal paste later on tonight. I saw that many of you were running insanely high overclocks with voltages around 1.3v is it possible for me to go that low or is this dependent on the mobo?

30ghzq8200.jpg

I've been reading over this thread and it has a lot of great information, I'm pretty new to OC'ing, I have a Q8200, Asus P5Q-VM mobo, AC Freezer Pro 7 Heat Sink, and OCZ Vista Upgrade Edition Memory 800mhz (8GB) with timings of 5-6-6-15. Ive tried adjusting FSB up to 420 but that seems the highest it will go to post, it is up to 1.35V which is high for this, and after about 2 minutes Prime95 fails with Core 0 hitting 68 - 69c (which seems very high)

Any suggestions on what settings I could put for this board would be great, (I also have a COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 700 RS-700-AMBA-D3 700W PSU), thanks in advance!

Apple, your temps are fine. keep it around or under 72C.

Your voltage is also fine @ 1.35v.

Have you adjusted any other voltages? Did you bump your memory voltage up a notch and see if that helped since its running above its spec now?

Along with this thread (which is awesome), I would look at the C2D/C2Q guide I have linked in my signature to help you out.

Well I have always used it I was just wondering if it allows for better OCing if it is disabled.

Here are some temps after testing with intel burn test max load:

13v3ghz.jpg

I suspect it's your memory holding you back, try loosening the timings, set 'em to 7-7-7-21, and give the northbridge one notch more voltage. Having tons of ram makes it work harder.
If that helps, your relatively slow ram is what is holding you back.

Here are some temps after running prime95 for about 2hours. I will try setting my timings to 7-7-7-21 and setting NB to 1.5v, how much more do you think I could push it with those tweaks? I have tried pushing it past 3.1ghz however I get bsod and major data loss.

prime952hr30ghs13v.png

I've raised memory voltage to 2.1, would it benifit me to drop the timings on my memory as well like suggested to the pwn? The memory voltage feels pretty high especially since its only at 841mhz I will run Prime95 to see how it goes, so far all seems ok

Back