• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking the Q8200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The 55C is that a temp from one of the cores or cpu overall temp?
If its a core temp its nothing to worry about under load ,if its cpu overall temp it might be a little high but it depends what the hottest core is doing.
Stock intel HS is probably ok up to around 3.0 Ghz.
If you are gonna push it more get a good air cooler bu thats 60-70$.
To get a decent water cooler setup just for the cpu even that would be better than air you will be well over $100 more like $150 and hey you could by an Q8400 for that.

Thanks kick for the advice. 55C is Core1 using realtemp. For the past few days, the system seems to be stabilize down with Core1 50, Core2 52, Core3 48, Core4 50 with Bitcomet, eMule, IE8 and movies, music running at background, room temperature 25C. I am happy with this now.

Hi, first post here, since reading through this entire thread quite thoroughly. Like most I am using a Q8200. Unlike most I am Unable to get this Quad stable above 2.5 and 2.6 ghz @ 40 degrees idle.

I am not an idoit when it comes down to PC issues but this one has me @ a brick wall. I simply cant find the problem with it not being able to clock over 2.5-2.6ghz.

And by not clocking I mean crashing On boot or within 5-10 mins of a game or my OS.
I have most of my CPU config crap turned off (as instructed) factory timings set, and my bios is updated. My impression is either

1. my cooling is unsuffisent. ( allthough I am using 4x 8mm fans /factory intel fan / and GEIL memory cooling)

2. My motherboard is being a *****

3. My memory is being a *****

System specs:

ASUS P5QL-SE
Intel Q8200 Quad
GEIL 2gb x2 Black Dragon 800mhz http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/39258
EVGA 9800 GT

Any help atall would be greatly Appreciated!

Last edited:
Idle temps don't mean anything, please post load.

What settings are stable and what settings are not stable?

What is the voltage set in BIOS and what is the voltage reported while under load?

Idle temps don't mean anything, please post load.

When Under load @ 364 CPU frequency and 874 DRAM Freuquency My temp is between 60 - 65 degree's.

What settings are stable and what settings are not stable?

I seem to be stable @ about 364 CPU Freq and my system starts to loose it between that and 368 Freq.
Memory Voltage is stable Auto and 1.87 only, 2.0, 2.13 and 2.25 ( 2.25 wont boot into bios) are unstable.
CPU GTL refrence is stable Auto and on all.
Vcore over voltage will go upto 100+ but will not boot 150+.

What is the voltage set in BIOS and what is the voltage reported while under load?

Under load my CPU volts stay pritty much the same as under none.

Set in bios
AUTO- 1.216
1.218- 1.248
1.300- 1.312

Rest of my Bios settings are.
NB Volts 1.339V
SB Vollts AUTO
PCI EX freq 100
FSB Term AUTO
Multiplyer x7
If it would be of any help I can also post my Ram timings :).

Thanks

Last edited:
Today I stumbled this post at Tom's Hardware about Q8200 on July 20, 2009 by Thomas Soderstrom.

I do not understand what on earth they are talking about of NOT being able to overclock the Q8200 over 2.69GHz ??? WTH...ONLY 15% ???
I must have read incorrectly....could someone please read and tell me what I was missing.

PAGE 1
PAGE 2
PAGE 3

Oh Gosh! Sounds like they need to turn the RAM frequency down.

Sounds like the RAM to FSB ratio is required to be changed.

I had that problem, the motherboard tries to run it beyond 400 Mhz and thus fails.

Sounds like the person is required to do the following steps:

1. Enter the BIOS setup.

2. Underclock the RAM, select a low value, such as DDR2 533.

3. Save the BIOS changes and exit.

4. Go back into the BIOS setup and raise the FSB.

I did this.

I only had the option of

Auto

For Memory frequency. so I pushed my memory back to 667, clock my CPU frequency up untill I hit 800 With my memory again. Wa'La 2.8 Ghz (note still 1.2(Auto) volts even under load).

Prime hasnt thrown up any errors yet, ill run that for a while. and try and push my memory a bit higher. Under load Iam @ about 65 Degrees aswell even under this clock.

Thanks, any more info that would allow me to achive a higher clock would be great!

EDIT: Just tryed it @ 405 on the cpu freq and it crashed as soon as I hit the OS. which means no OC on the memory (main reason i bought memory cooling), 400 looks like the limit, unless i change somthing :S ?

Last edited:
You've got that RAM pretty loose. If it can run 400MHz at 4-4-4-12 (2.1v) if should be able to do 487MHz 5-5-5-15 (2.1v) no problem. I don't see RAM being the wink link, but you could always run a lower FSB, and use a higher RAM divider to test it independently.

I think your NB is at it's limits w/ that 45nm quad. And I'm even a bit skeptical that it is completely stable where it is. Try running P95-large-fft. That has always failed first for me when the NB was being pushed to hard.

Yea my ram was waayyyy lose in that screenie, I tightened it up a little here and bumped the fsb to 500 with a little more voltage (say 1.36 on the nb and 1.3125 for cpu) and got it to run at 3.5ghz stable. the ram really could do better than I expected though but is still overclocking pretty good. I prefer Intelburntest over P95 though for my stability testing but I attached a screenie of it running small fft's for ya. :) edit: noticed you said large fft but in that screenie notice i was stress testing 2.6gb of ram:beer: it will accually push 3gb around under 65c now :)

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=670552
35ghz.jpg

Last edited:
Just an update. Previously, ran prime95 small FFT stable for 12 hours @ 3.36GHz in the Winter.
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5998911&postcount=67

This time at 3.40GHz in the Summer...but didn't feel like going through another 12hrs but 1hr instead....since it is just a minor jump in speed. Notice on my spreadsheet, these are my 2 best settings.
A little bump up in temperature.
A little bump on Vcore to 1.30v (idle: 1.272 ; load: 1..288)
FSB Termination 1.30v
...the rest are the same as previous.

jicexe.jpg

help

I am new to overclocking and want supervision before i start going any farther then this. Is the proper thing to do here to start my own Q8200 thread or do I just add to this?
Im going to post pictures of my bios and screenshots very soon along with a detailed description of my situation. I just want to know if I am going to start in the right place.

Antec900
Vista 32
MSI MS-7380 nforce 750i sli spp Rev A2 Bios v02.61
intel Q8200 @2.333 stock w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon air cool
GTX 275 oc
Buffalo Firestix PC2=6400 2gbx2 800Mhz @ 4-4-4-12-2t
please get me started

Last edited:
I am new to overclocking and want supervision before i start going any farther then this. Is the proper thing to do here to start my own Q8200 thread or do I just add to this?
Im going to post pictures of my bios and screenshots very soon along with a detailed description of my situation. I just want to know if I am going to start in the right place.

Antec900
Vista 32
MSI MS-7380 nforce 750i sli spp Rev A2 Bios v02.61
intel Q8200 @2.333 stock w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon air cool
GTX 275 oc
Buffalo Firestix PC2=6400 2gbx2 800Mhz @ 4-4-4-12-2t
please get me started

:welcome:you can make yourown thread if you feel the need too. :)
I notice in your sig you have a Nvidia chipset and 800mhz ram,, you might wanna look around and see what the highest FSB anyone has gotten stable with that motherboard first because the Q8200's low multi will need all you can get. also for a good OC you will need to be able to get your ram to around ~900mhz.

Hey Samsave

Yeh 490 fsb I can get down to 1.325 cpu V in bios (1.31 under load) with pl 9 on memory and 2.08v memory in bios
500fsb needs 1.41 cpu (1.39) under load 2.22v mem(2.19 under load) to hold pl 9 for 9Gb/s read bandwidth (10 Gb/s copy and write).

pll V and Cpu term V at those speeds left on auto goes to 1.85V and 1.7v!!
set manually pll 1.57-1.59V and vTt at just around cpu v in bios seems to be ok.
cpu and mch ref around 70%.
mch 1.38 -1.42.

I currently have my Q8200 at 3.15GHz at 1.2 BIOS Voltage. Prime95 stable after 24 hours. G.Skill Memory set to manual, factory settings at 1088mhz. Locked my PCI-e bus at 100mhz for stability, and will keep it that way until I get a high enough OC that I am comfortable with.

My board is a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. I am keeping the N/S Bridges at auto for voltage. Temps seem to be fine, as far as I can tell.

Seems like a pretty easy chip to overclock once you set a couple things to manual and leave them there. When my memory timing and multiplier were set to Auto, I would get some rough restart loops, and forget about Prime95.

So what do we have here.
Q8200 will clock to 3.5ghz from 2.3 which is a 50% speed increase.
This is just about the same as all other 45nm 775 quad coreswith intel chipsets.

Assuming you have a decent mbrd/decent air cooling and mem that will do 1000mhz
490 fsb/3.43 ghz will need 1.3v-1.35v for stability .
500fsb/3.5ghz will need 1.35-1.4v for stability
510fsb/3.57ghz will need 1.4-1.45 for stability and things can get v hot.

above 510/2040 fsb it doesnt seem worth trying to blow up yer cpu or corrupt data.
Below 490/1960 fsb u can probably get away with much lower voltages.
I think ill settle on 490 fsb for the rest of the cpu's lifetime(mines almost a year old now).
cpu speed>fsb speed>memory speed.

Attachments

• best 490.jpg
    best 490.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 1,485
Last edited:
My P35 board didn't play well with Quad. So I changed to a P45 board which I think is a mate for it.....and a newer Cooler Master Hyper Z600R to handle the heat.

I got up to 500FSB but passed only 2 hrs with P95 small FFTs
@ 486FSB = OK P95 small FFTs 6 hrs but had problem FREEZING with OCCT Mix

Finally, I settled at 3.36GHz @ 480FSB with a nice low Vcore with decent temperature.

1z3oxva.jpg

a3zif9.jpg

2a6l6vq.jpg

Very tight fit.
2622oew.jpg

which is ur mobo and what PSU and ram do u have because i cant get my Q8200 past 3.32 without problems

So I just noticed one thing when going over this thread...I saw that most of those people that were getting pretty high clock speeds had Q8200's with revision M1. That would mean that they are spec number SLB5M. I have a Q8200 that has "A" Stepping with revision R0. I have not been successful at OCing this hardly at all. Just wondering if that might have anything to do with it.

BTW my specs

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz Spec#SLG9S
ASUS P5N7A-VM Motherboard
G.SKILL 2x2GB DDR2 800
APEVIA brand 500w PSU (included with case)

So I just noticed one thing when going over this thread...I saw that most of those people that were getting pretty high clock speeds had Q8200's with revision M1. That would mean that they are spec number SLB5M. I have a Q8200 that has "A" Stepping with revision R0. I have not been successful at OCing this hardly at all. Just wondering if that might have anything to do with it.

BTW my specs

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz Spec#SLG9S
ASUS P5N7A-VM Motherboard
G.SKILL 2x2GB DDR2 800
APEVIA brand 500w PSU (included with case)

Well for a good OC on your cpu you will also needa good oc on your ram seeing as 800mhz will only get you to 2.8ghz@ stock.

Back