• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4P800 Deluxe Noob needs help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

llitz123

I originally posted this in another forum - then got a little help and did some tinkering. Then I think I asked too many questions and people stopped helping :confused:

So I thought I would try here for some more pointers.

Total noob here lookin for some help!

My system:
P4 3.0 (800Mhz FSB)
ZALMAN CNPS7000 CPU FAN
P4P800 Deluxe
Nexus NX-4000 PSU
2x 512 Corsair PC-3500C2PT
Dual Raptor RAID 0

I would really appreciate it if someone who successfully overclocked a similar configuration could walk me thru the bios settings for optimal overclocking.

What I am looking to do is find someone with a stable overclock, mimic the settings and then play around from there. Just need a starting point.

Little background:

I got system to 225x15 with the CPU VCore @ 1.6 - using this guide for a basis:
http://forums.tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?t=3770

The core speed is 3375

I benched using PCMark04 and got 4692. Every other config above 225 was unstable - the PCMark04 would freeze.

Temp idle is 33C for CPU, 39C for mobo.

When I tried to turn on turbo mode, it froze.

I used the memory timings and all the info from the link above and then just dropped the FSB to 225 to make it more stable.

When I used the ASUS built in Overclocker and set core speed to 3400, my PCMark04 was 4400, so the current core speed of 3375 is faster, so I guess I'm happy (dunno how much difference 292 points in PCMark04 really is). If the system is unstable, I'll prolly go back to the ASUS built in overclocker and the turbo mode.

I don't really understand the PAT or MAM settings (if those are even the right terms). Also right now my temps are going pretty high. They have topped out @ 57C (using ASUS Probe v2.22.04).

I have a nice Lian Li case with 2 intake fans in front of the HDDs and 2 exhaust fans - one in the rear by the Zalman CPU cooler and one in the top of the case above the RAM.

One last question - maybe I should ask this seperately - I never knew if I seated my heatsink correctly. I used OCZ Ultra II thermal paste, yet I spread it REALLY thin per some people's suggestions - the heatsink isnt hot to the touch when computer is running near full load - should it be??

Atached are some jpgs of my CPU and RAM info at the current overclock using CPU-Z. Maybe they will help hilite something I am missing.

If I left anything out or you need clarification on anything, please let me know. I want to get the most bang for my buck from this nice setup I have.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• CPU.jpg
    CPU.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 130
  • RAM.jpg
    RAM.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 111
I have been doing some reading and am still kinda lost regarding PAT and MAM and exactly what settings I need to enable/disable in bios. Some say enable turbo mode - some say don't. Some say use MPS revision 1.1 some say use 1.4... Anyone know the correct "tweaks"? Also are my memory timings ok?

Again. Any help is appreciated.

Heh... Guess I'm the only one here :)

I just enabled MAM and set the bios to turbo and it did increase my PCMark04 scores a bit, so the current settings are probably where I will stay until someone can help me tweak it further.

"Original" overclock without MAM enabled and without Turbo - same settings for RAM. I knocked the Voltages down as follows, per an answer in another threas:
CPU Vcore: 1.6
DDR ref voltage: 2.75
AGP VDDQ: 1.6
Set the MPS Rev to 1.4
Disabled USB Legacy Support.

"Original" Overlock PCMark04 score: 4692
Changed settings above PCMark04 Score: 4735

I really want to get the most out of this system. Again - any help tweaking is greatly appreciated.

llitz123 said:
Heh... Guess I'm the only one here :)

I just enabled MAM and set the bios to turbo and it did increase my PCMark04 scores a bit, so the current settings are probably where I will stay until someone can help me tweak it further.

"Original" overclock without MAM enabled and without Turbo - same settings for RAM. I knocked the Voltages down as follows, per an answer in another threas:
CPU Vcore: 1.6
DDR ref voltage: 2.75
AGP VDDQ: 1.6
Set the MPS Rev to 1.4
Disabled USB Legacy Support.

"Original" Overlock PCMark04 score: 4692
Changed settings above PCMark04 Score: 4735

I really want to get the most out of this system. Again - any help tweaking is greatly appreciated.

First off I don't think your overclock is to bad well that's my opinion second you must rememer the guide you have used was for a 2.6 not a 3.0 so things are going to be different, you seem to be going in the right direction o just keep plugging away as for the seating of the heatsink can't help there and have not used OCZ thermal paste, but here is a link that might be of some use.

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49814

Welcome to the Forums.

First of all dont ever set the voltage above 1.65 volts.

Now lets see....

you want to do these things::

1. Lock the AGP/PCI to 33/66

2. Set your mem timings to something like 2.5:3:3:5:8

3. Leave MAM and PAT settings to auto. (I think these are only usable at stock speeds)

4. Your temps are not too bad but I would be sure that HSF is seated well.

5. The Asus AI Overclocker is junk. Dont use it.

6. Set the memory voltages at 2.85. You RAM will be fine

7. Set the AGP voltages to 1.6. You shouldnt need to go any higher unless your video card demands it or your mo board is under volting.

ok...

I would try the FSB at 225 and increase by 5 each time you get a successful overclock on default voltages. When it becomes unstable then add a little voltage(one step at a time).

Try these things first and WATCH your temps. Northwood cores are very finiky about too much voltage to the core. 1.65v MAX, and only after you have stepped your way to it. Need more help?? Im happy to help out. I have a similar board and set up and really love it. Im told on average people are getting about 3600 on good air cooling with 3.0C's. Some are getting as much as 3900+ on water or phase change.

Z

EDIT: Asus Probe will show your voltages fluctuate. This IS normal for these boards. Do not use this as a reference. NEVER set the BIOS Voltage above 1.65v. (Read about S.N.D.S. in the forums for more information about Northwodd CPU core voltages.)

Zuzzz said:
Welcome to the Forums.

First of all dont ever set the voltage above 1.65 volts.

Now lets see....

you want to do these things::

1. Lock the AGP/PCI to 33/66

2. Set your mem timings to something like 2.5:3:3:5:8

3. Leave MAM and PAT settings to auto. (I think these are only usable at stock speeds)

4. Your temps are not too bad but I would be sure that HSF is seated well.

5. The Asus AI Overclocker is junk. Dont use it.

6. Set the memory voltages at 2.85. You RAM will be fine

7. Set the AGP voltages to 1.6. You shouldnt need to go any higher unless your video card demands it or your mo board is under volting.

ok...

I would try the FSB at 225 and increase by 5 each time you get a successful overclock on default voltages. When it becomes unstable then add a little voltage(one step at a time).

Try these things first and WATCH your temps. Northwood cores are very finiky about too much voltage to the core. 1.65v MAX, and only after you have stepped your way to it. Need more help?? Im happy to help out. I have a similar board and set up and really love it. Im told on average people are getting about 3600 on good air cooling with 3.0C's. Some are getting as much as 3900+ on water or phase change.

Z

EDIT: Asus Probe will show your voltages fluctuate. This IS normal for these boards. Do not use this as a reference. NEVER set the BIOS Voltage above 1.65v. (Read about S.N.D.S. in the forums for more information about Northwodd CPU core voltages.)

Thanks for the info. My best benchmarks were with my settings above WITH PAT and MAM enabled. I dunno why... I'm not experienced enough to do the PAT hack I see mentioned in these forums, so I will probably stick pretty close to the overclock I have. I will try you're suggestion for voltage and memory timings and other settings soon and let you know if I get a higher overclock. Thanks again to all for the assistance.

Regarding #4. The HSF is seated well - its immobile and I screwed it in "evenly" as described by others. I went around the HSF tightening the screws evenly as not to warp the CPU.

Should the copper fins be hot to the touch under full load?

What I am worried about it I didnt put on enough of the thermal paste. I used a very thin, transparent almost, application as described to me by people that helped me initially. I first covered the CPU and the HSF with the grease, then removed the excess allowing it to fill all the micro-fissures in each component. Then spread a thin layer of grease to the CPU and attached the HSF - which was a ***** as that thing is huge and hard to seat. It actually slid into place which made me nervous...

What does your asus prob read? If its below 55c for cpu your fine. That asus prob is actually reading a temperature from a prob within your cpu, it doesnt lie. With temps around 35c the fins would not be hot. Mildly warm would be more like it. Sometimes there might be a risk that the HS may not be seated correctly if the hs isnt warm, however with temps like that I dont think you have anything to worry about, as long as the probe is reading below 55c.

WheaT said:
What does your asus prob read? If its below 55c for cpu your fine. That asus prob is actually reading a temperature from a prob within your cpu, it doesnt lie. With temps around 35c the fins would not be hot. Mildly warm would be more like it. Sometimes there might be a risk that the HS may not be seated correctly if the hs isnt warm, however with temps like that I dont think you have anything to worry about, as long as the probe is reading below 55c.

CPU is currently 35C

Under load the highest I have seen it go for a few seconds is 56C - it averages about 54C under stress.

HSF is warm to the touch - yet never gets hot - even under load. RAM's heat spreaders and Vid card get hot tho :)

enable turbo and mam. mam will increase benchies greatly. set timings semi aggressive 2-3-3-6 burst 8. disable usb legacy support and also disable spread spectrum. vcore at 1.6 vdimm at 2.85. also you should prolly set your divider/dimm freq. to 320/5:4 . hope this helps

OK I tried everyone's suggestions, yet the best, stable overclock I get is:
FSB:225 Dimm Freq: 320 = 3375 MHz
Vcore: 1.6
DDR Ref: 2.85
AGP: 1.6
Performance Mode: Turbo
RAM Timings: 2:2:3:5:4
MAM: Enabled
PCMark04: 4732

Under heavy load (ripping video) now the CPU Temp hits 58C

I dunno how to take this higher... I think this is the best I can do. FSB will not go above 225 and I don't really know enough to get "better" RAM timings or better voltages, etc. I don't really know how to tweak further.

Thanks for all the assistance. If anyone has any more ideas, I would be glad to hear them.

Your CPU temp is a little high. I personally add about 5c onto the reading I get in asus probe just to be safe. I have a P4P800 @ FSB225 and the CPU temp reads a bit low

Well I updated to the newest 1018 bios and managed to skim a few more bemnchmark points:
PCMark04: 4777

I dunno how to lower the temp. Case is aluminum - I have 2 intake fans (in front of case blowing over HDDs) and 2 exhaust fans (one top and one back). I have the zalman HSF... I have tried using the ASUS fan control and no fan control (max fan speeds) and neither seem to cool very efficiently. Maybe I'll try the ASUS fan control again with this new bios.

Change yer memory timings to 2.5:3:3:5:8. Those are a bit loose but should get you some more of an overclock. ease the vcore down to 1.5875 and see if this will get ya some more speed

Z

The bios hack gave me 400 points more in pcmark2002 in Memory

Enabling MAM didnt give me any gains but, did cause instability for some reason so I kept it off and left Performance on Turbo.

llitz::: How do you have v1018 BIOS for the P4P800?? The latest BIOS as if this typing appears to be 1017 beta 2. Did I miss something?? Do you mean the 1016 BIOS??

Z

enabling MAM should help benches significantly. The ram you are using should be able to run at these timings i beleive, 2-3-3-6 burst 8. running too losse will give a higher fsb but you will have more latency on your ram. High fsb and semi tight timings is what most people want. :)

I ran tests with mam enabled and disabled. My results weren't anything of any amusment since it didnt show at all. It actualy caused stability issues. Keep in mind that I have done the Bios hack which affects stability when combining turbo/standard and mam which without the hack doesn't affect stability. This is a known issue with the hack. I get better results with the hack which is why I stuck with it since it basicly turns the mobo into a P4C800 without the ability to use the Ram ratio option.

As far as me running lower timmings, All that I'm able to get is 3-3-4-7 at best with ram volt being 2.85. These timmings showed the same results as enabling mam which is once again nothing of amusment on my side nore did it beat the stock 3-4-4-8 timmings in benchmarks.

My ram is also known for not getting low timmings nor is it known for exceeding speed of what its rated to even maintain stability. The 3200 version is alot better which I should have gotten. Just do a google on my ram and it will show.

Another thing I would like to mention is that when I was able to use the ram ratio at 3:2 while not using the bios hack, I could boot into 3.7ghz and 3.6ghz but, it was unstable. I was able to maintain some stability at 235mhz - 237mhz but, it wasn't 100% stable. Since I just ccouldn't get 100% stability at any large FSB speed over 233mhz without the hack, then it was only wise to use the hack and have it limit me to 231mhz which was 100% stable and allowed me to bench faster scores then being at 233 - 235FSB without the hack.

Last edited:
Ya, enabling MAM with the full pat bios hack is not going to do anything because all MAM does is enables partial pat. Somebody that isnt using the full pat bios hack should definetely enable mam though. Like Ive said on earlier posts, I will never buy Corsair ram again, your buying the name and not necessarily performance. My ram barely does what its suppose to do which to me isnt good enough. heh

Polargoat, although ur oc with a pc3200 is good.. considering ur using cas 2-6-3-3 and running stable for like 6 months now? :)

I guess I was expecting more from Corsair. meh, Ill prolly go with Mushkin or OCZ next time. Ive had my rig O/C'd about 6-8 months now ya. It was overclocked before I came to the forums but I was using the n00b ai o/c'er. hehe. Since Ive gotten help and knowledge from the pro's this bizzle is still screamin at over 3ghtz

Back