• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC will not turn on with cpu power plugged in

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

awjone0

Build:
ASUS M5A99X Evo R.2.0 mobo
Rosewill Lightning-1000 1000watt psu
G.Skill Ripjaw series (4x2gb) ram
AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition cpu
GeForce GTX 460 gpu
Samsung Evo SSD

Had the system for a while now and no real issues. Recently moved (roughly 25 days ago), PC was working fine before and after move. Went to bed last night running, woke up with it off and it wouldn't turn on. Did some investigating, and it seems that it will not stay on with the 8 pin cpu power cable plugged in. Any thoughts as to what may be causing this?

Psu, cpu, or mobo...

Tried resetting the cmos and such? Leaving it unplugged??

Yea tried all that. I'm thinking its a problem with the cpu or a short on the mobo but don't know how to diagnose without buying new parts and guessing.

Bread board it. Take it out of the case and build on a box.

I literally just did that. Same issue. I dug around and found a psu that I swapped in and same issue. Only notable difference between the psus is the test one only had a 4 pin cpu power connector. From my understanding that would not be an issue (4 pin connector being used instead of 8 pin).

Side note: Once I try to turn it on and it immediately shuts off, it will not attempt to turn back on until the capacitors in the psu are fully drained and the standby power LED is no longer lit. Also tested the 8 pin connector for voltages on all pins and all good there.

Is it possible or a good idea to take the cpu out and try to post without it. I know it won't post but if the psu stays on it may help diagnose? no?

Take all but one memory stick out and try each stick in each memory socket.

Just a suggestion, you can pick up a cheap Sempron 140/145 on Ebay for like 15.00 and see if it's the board.

I actually just looked, you can get one BIN for $9.00 free shipping. Worth a shot to me if it works you can always grab a Fx for that board and you'll be back in business. I've run my Fx 8350 and 6300 on my M5A99X Evo. My 6300 sits at my shop running at 4.5 ghz on that said board 14 hours a day 7 days a week.

Back