• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Won't Post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twiggz

ASRock z97x Killer motherboard, had a "brown out" now the computer beeps 3 times and pauses, continuously. I thought this meant an error with the memory. So I reseated and swapped slots, and nothing, so I used a spare stick and still nothing. Is the motherboard fried? Can I try anything else?

Tried all of that except clearing the cmos, and already am using onboard vid. I'll try to clear the cmos

- - - Updated - - -

cmos clear didn't work either. same thing

I removed all the memory and started it without any, and i get the exact same beeps and problems. I know all my memory cant be bad though, especially after using my spare one.

I would try swapping out the PSU as well. You are down to either the PSU, motherboard or the CPU. CPU would be the least likely to be harmed. They're pretty tough.

As Console's link indicated, this seems to be the BIOS error code for "No memory", so, the mobo doesn't seem to think there is any memory installed.

I would double/triple check to make sure you're installing in the correct slots, and that the modules are fully seated. It sounds like your board is taking a crap on you though (specifically maybe the DIMM slots). If you have a local Fry's, sometimes they will test them for you and try to swap in parts to see if the error stops/changes.

Thanks guys, I think all signs say the motherboard is dead. I'll order a new one.

- - - Updated - - -

OH yea.. This will break my software raid right?

I believe that there is some software out there (for example) that can help you rebuild arrays with the data on the drives that were members of the old array. If the data on the drives are intact, you should be able to recover them.

That said, the software RAID on a mobo isn't the most robust solution, so now may be a good time to think about a dedicated RAID card if you care, and have some spare cash.

Ok so I received a new board, the exact same model I had. Installed everything and it still wouldn't start. I started testing the memory again (2 Gskill sticks and 1 PNY). After I removed one of the Gskill Sticks it started, then I put in the PNY stick and it still started. So I decided the one Gskill stick must be bad, threw it out and moved along fine.

Now suddenly im having the exact same issue again, 3 beeps and then just repeats 3 beeps again over and over. Won't Start. I also had the power go out here again, but I have an UPS this time. I think though the power was out so long that it turned off anyway. (happened in the night)

SURELY, the motherboard isnt fried AGAIN, but none of my memory sticks work, no matter what configuration i use.

think the CPU is going bad? None of my other computers in the house are affected by power going out.

Last edited:
I don't have a spare PSU anymore, I don't want to dismantle another working PC. So I ordered a $40 Corsair 450W PSU. I'll try it out when it arrives.

Ok, I tried the new psu and got the same error. Then I tried a celeron processor I had and got the same error. I'm becoming frustrated.

Ok, I ordered a stick. We'll see if that does it. That would mean my original two sticks were fried, and my spare stick got fried.

Last edited:
Back