• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

phenom 965 OC (reaching the sweetspot)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well, i havent tried overclocking atm, im just talking about stock temps.

last stable oc i made was only by multiplier , the fsb method didnt hold no matter how much i fiddled with all other settings (NB,ram frequency and timings ,voltages).

im just saying my current rig should have lower temps according to other phenom users

Last edited:
heres my 4.1 setup, I use an antec all in one, ghetto rigged of course, to get the rad outside the case, you should be able to approach this with that rig.
this clock is 24/7 stable.
I find 3.8 to be about the best clock with this cpu I have had it in all my rigs and allways find 3.8 is just right for it.

that's the right one.

you're at 4.0 stable with a whole .1V lower vcore then i can do it... (i need to bring my vcore up to 1.55V to stabilize at 4.0ghz)... so i'll say bravo.

if you're at 1.45V vcore, and your load temps are under 55C i'd call it a win.

give us the three cpu-z and hardware monitor screenshot so we can see whats going on. screenshot it under load.

azanimefan, the denab gets unstable between 53c and 57c and at about 1.62 vcore so heat, and at higher clocks voltage are our enemys.

Last edited:
azanimefan, the denab gets unstable between 53c and 57c and at about 1.62 vcore so heat, and at higher clocks voltage are our enemys.

yep... mine crashes at 58-59C... but it's stable at 55C... not that i want it that high; which is why i'm not running mine at 4.0ghz

I'm in my sweet spot on stock voltage at 3958. (Freaking 42 MHz from 4.0...)

And I really wanted 4.0. :cool:

When this processor gets a little longer in the tooth, I'll start working it harder. But for now it isn't worth it.

really above 3.8 it's not worth it for the small gains when doing "real work".
who wants to spend hours trying to keep a focus while having to listen to screaming fans???
at 3.8 the fans are all on idle and i hear the video card spin up once in a while.

well upped the voltage to 1,45 and the multiplier to reach 3,9ghz

it crashed in prime after 10 min

after that i increased it to 1,47 and it was stable for 30+ min

i6m5uw.jpg

Nice work,That seems about right for 3.9 that's about where mine runs daily. At 56° I'd say you're pretty much at the end of your cooling. To jump over that 4.0 mark is going to take a big increase in voltage that your cooling is not going to handle.

and now we revert to my original problem

i have the Noctua nh-u14s (140mm fan and six heatpipes) , this thing is giving results that approach watercoolers, yet i still cant pass a measly OC.

i just dont know. may it be the high ambient (27-28*C) , or bad placement of case fans (2 intake at front , 2 outtake at top , bottom intake and back exhaust) , or just a hot chip.

Fans seem fine and that's a good cooler. 20° ambient would make a huge difference in you OC temps.

it might be time to plug in the other matching stick of ram also to get him up to 8 gigs.
3.9 is really pretty good on air.

it might be time to plug in the other matching stick of ram also to get him up to 8 gigs.
3.9 is really pretty good on air.

yep. looks good to me... i know OP would like to see a 4+ gig score... but the PhII x4 965 doesn't always get that far. think of 4gigs are the upper limit of the day to day... and it takes a good chip to get that far. That said your ambient temps are very high... and will limit you a bit.

well i set my a/c on 23*C and ran the tests (1.47v 3.9ghz)

idle temp was 35-37*C

full load on prime95 peaked at 52*C but hovered on 50 mostly.

So if you had the A/C cranked everyday that would be a good operating temp for a 3.9 OC

Chasing the 4.0 is probably out of reach like has been repeated here. I don't think your current set up A/C and all can handle the temps above 1.5v which is where you're going to be to get 4.0

hmm i will be trying to lower v.core now and see if the 3,9 is stable

previously i havent touched my NB and HT frequencies at all. (increasd nb voltage a bit too)

i will revert back to 1.45 and see how it goes.

after fiddling quite alot and stress testing.. ive only reached 3,8 ghz as the most stable clock

now im trying to raise my NB over 2400 to get higher stability but i cant. every thing beyond 2400 wont let me boot (second bios kicks in and tell me OC is failing).

i tried increasing NB voltage
i tried decreasing RAM speed from 1600 to 1333
i tried keeping it equal to the HT

nothing , my NB wont increase over x12 multiplier.

what could be the reason?

could it be the voltage .. havent increased it more than 1.22, according to Dolks guide x13 should be 1.25

UPDATE : i cranked up the voltages of the NB and NB/VID and it worked.

now i need to see if this 3,9ghz is stable on a 1.45 v.core

UPDATE 2 : nope it wont run on 1.45, neither on a 1.47. was stable on 1.5 tough.

too bad i cant keep this oc because of high ambient :(

guess i fell on a ****ty chip afterall.

Last edited:
Back