• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

phenom 965 OC (reaching the sweetspot)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
no.... clock for clock the 965 and most of the high end Thuban PhIIs are faster then piledriver (all piledriver, not just the 43xx or 63xx, but the 83xx too).

The trick is the PhII cpus don't have much overclocking headroom in comparison to a piledriver, and when properly overclocked a piledriver core will beat an overclocked PhII core in most tasks

The claim that a 83xx with 2 cores disabled is faster than a 63xx is a bit unbelievable though. Every bench out there shows the core speeds are identical across all piledriver chips... so clock for clock the chips are completely identical. About the only way his claim could be true is if he was getting a higher overclock on his 83xx -2 cores then he was getting on his native 63xx cpu.

Generally though, most piledriver chips should be getting a 4.5-4.9 overclock. A buddy of mine caught a lucky break with his 6300... he hit 5.0ghz on stock voltages. Blew my mind. He called me up asking me if he should push his overclock over 4.5, I asked him about temps, and he was sitting nice and cool, i asked him about voltages and he told me he was at stock voltage. i told him i was coming over and we'd push it as far as we could. Got that thing up to 5.0 on stock voltage, pushed it up to 5.6ghz before temps and voltage got a little wild... (he went from 1.45 Vcore at 5.6 and 62C after 1 hour of prime, to 1.6V core at 5.7 and 67C plus blue screen after 3 minutes of prime...) he was even booting windows at 5.9ghz course it was SLOW... and blue screened pretty soon thereafter).

we ended up backing his overclock down to 5.5 and lowered the vcore down to 1.4.

seriously though that is one silly good chip.

So is it good or bad?

you can find all mine posted on this forum, try 'just putzen around', or some from Rgone.
for all the muck with pile driver the cpu to buy is the 8350 and make of it what you need, 4 core, 6 core, 8 core, it works all these ways.
they have the binning down and that's why they are going to be able to release the "9350" or what ever they are going to call it.

as far as I'm concerned my 965 is still the machine I will fire up when i need to get daily stuff done. when i have my cfd to run at home I'll take my 8350 machine and my 6300 still sits idle.

sounds like i'm dising the 6300, i'm not really it games well with less heat than my 8350, can be cooled with less investment and lower noise fans, I use coolermaster r4's on mine and for the most part i run them at 7 volts but even at 12 volts what noise can an r4 make.

Last edited:
your buddy has found a gem of a chip to even be able to boot at 5.6, that woud be a chip worth buying.

Last edited:
for some requested bios numbers

this is my 4200 clock, it's as high as I can go 2 hours prime stable with this cooling.

Attachments

• 4200 01.jpg
    4200 01.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 4200 02.jpg
    4200 02.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 4200 03.jpg
    4200 03.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 58
What I really want to see is numbers for the 965
A decent 965 will do 4.0ghz. Average chips will run 3.6-3.8. Still what you have to remember is the Thuban is technically a superior chip with a better IMC meaning possibly higher CPU NB and memory overclocking head room.

A decent 965 will do 4.0ghz. Average chips will run 3.6-3.8. Still what you have to remember is the Thuban is technically a superior chip with a better IMC meaning possibly higher CPU NB and memory overclocking head room.

I meant in the bios when OCing it to 4.0

your buddy has found a gem of a chip to even be able to boot at 5.6, that woud be a chip worth buying.

I agree, it's a golden little chip. i couldn't believe it till i saw it myself. that thing just kept going, we'd add to the multiplier, and add, and add and add... and it kept running silky smooth. it was sorta wild.

yea, cooling and vcore become an issue, I had to gut this little aio unit, clean it all out, custom fit the cool plate and move the rad outside of the case to get it to work as well as it does.

I'm actually not so nervous as long as I don't go past 1.4 on the cpu. I'm determined to run this thing into the ground. I can afford an 6300 and I got a 3 year warranty at Frys on this board. The only thing I'm actually worried about is the ram.

At 1.4v, it will last for decades!

I had a PhII 955 [email protected]/1.56v for 1.5 years. I gave it to a buddy of mine more than a year ago, and it's still running strong!

the screenshots are my 965 at 4.2 ghz.
Respectable. :thup:
Other than multi and bus speed, our voltages are very similar. Biggest difference I see is that my 965 is an early 140w C2 revision. Usually these require more voltage to clock, but the added heat is a stability killer. Most of them never see 4 gig. Only reason mine does is it's delidded and on good high end water.

running these things at these speeds is impressive but such a waiste, the best speed for the little lumps is around 3.8 or so.
I have posted a result over in the overclocktagon, and it proves that these are clock for clock, core for core, better than fx.

running these things at these speeds is impressive but such a waiste, the best speed for the little lumps is around 3.8 or so.
I have posted a result over in the overclocktagon, and it proves that these are clock for clock, core for core, better than fx.

Pretty glad I didn't upgrade then.

here are the scores i posted

a 6.50 with a 6 core @5.0 and a 5.02 with a quad core @4.3

Attachments

• cinebench 5.02.JPG
    cinebench 5.02.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 6.50.JPG
    6.50.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 42
manu2be, we will find out in the next two or three days when i can shut down my 8350 long enough to run the bench a time or two.

(and I am so wanting your 7970)

here is the 8350 at almost 5.2.
twice the cores, 1ghz faster cpu clock, much faster ram, four times the cost to cool, so my 965 wins any way you cut the cake other than raw score.

Attachments

• 876.jpg
    876.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 26
Back