• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II X4 965 Black or Phenom II X6 1045T for gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tenagra

A store near me has 2 CPUs on sale for the same price ($99):

Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz (Originally $120)

Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz Six Core (Originally $140)

For gaming, which one will be better in the long run? I'm assuming 6 cores aren't really utilized yet, but I'm planning on keeping this for at least 3 years.
From looking at http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/448/bench/CPU_02.png, it looks like there isn't too much of an fps difference between CPUs in BF3 as long as you are past a certain threshold. My current CPU is an old Athlon II X2 3.0 GHz, so I think they will both bring me up to about the same performance level.

Will the 6 core be better in the long run, and is it already a better choice for current games? I think it automatically overclocks itself on 3 cores if the game doesn't utilize 6 cores.

Another thing I'm considering is that one might be more overclockable than the other (is that what the black edition means?), so any insight about that would be helpful.

Thanks for the help!

Here's the specs from the site:

Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz

Technology
Unlocked Multiplier Yes
Specifications
Core Deneb
Processor Phenom II X4 965
Operating Frequency 3.4GHz
Number of Cores Quad-Core
Level 2 Cache 512KB (per core)
Level 3 Cache 6MB
CPU Voltage 0.85V - 1.425V
Thermal Power 125W
Processor Architecture 45nm SOI
Processor Data Width 32-Bit/64-Bit
Socket Type Socket AM3
HyperTransport 2000MHz (4000MT/s)
Revision C2

---

Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz Six Core

Specifications
Processor Phenom II X6 1045T
Operating Frequency 2.7GHz
Turbo Speed 3.2GHz
Number of Cores Six-Core
Level 1 Cache 128KB
Level 2 Cache 512KB
Level 3 Cache 6MB
Processor Architecture 45nm SOI
Processor Data Width 32-Bit/64-Bit
Socket Type Socket AM3
HyperTransport One 16x16 link @ up to 2000MHz

for the same price, the X6 is the better deal because they overclock equally well (the x6 won't reach as high a overclock unless you disable two cores, then you can reach overclocks equal to the X4).

I think that depends on how much you want to work at that overclock. The black edition has an unlocked multiplier, which means that it's going to be a lot easier to overclock. Plus, the stock clock is already 3.4GHz.

On the other side, you can still overclock the 6 core, and drop it back to 4 cores for a higher overclock. It's just going to be a little harder is all.

Either way, you'll be getting a good CPU for a decent price. I'm not sure what I would go with myself.

The new 2012-year Phenom II X4 955/965s are amazing...4.2 GHz is an achievable OC on three out of three chips I tested with 1210/1212 dates. (What is on the market now)

1045T you are looking at a 3.6-4 GHz overclock.

Back