• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Poor Performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well im changing my cpu cooler to Noctua NH D-14 for sure since i cant oc my cpu and i think a better cpu cooler like Noctuna will do it, but some people on techsupport forums told me to change my psu which silent pro gold 1000W cuz they said its a bad quality psu , so what do u guys think ?

I agree with the noctua but 1000 watt is overkill for sli 670...Corsair 850 watt or Seasonic 850 watt are my recomendation. both are solid.

I agree with the noctua but 1000 watt is overkill for sli 670...Corsair 850 watt or Seasonic 850 watt are my recomendation. both are solid.

Way off again...77W CPU, 170W GPUs (each), rest of system shouldn't draw more than 40W. 77+170+170+40= 457W, no overclock. If he does overclock, say 100W on the CPU and 200W for the GPU...you're still at 540W. 670s are very power efficient cards and a good 600W is more than enough to drive those cards

The Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold series is not the best quality PSU, yes, but it's okay quality and shouldn't be causing you problems. FPS related problems are also pretty much never caused by the PSU.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=193
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/arti...nt-Pro-Gold-800-W-Power-Supply-Review/1028/10

Way off again...77W CPU, 170W GPUs (each), rest of system shouldn't draw more than 40W. 77+170+170+40= 457W, no overclock. If he does overclock, say 100W on the CPU and 200W for the GPU...you're still at 540W. 670s are very power efficient cards and a good 600W is more than enough to drive those cards

The Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold series is not the best quality PSU, yes, but it's okay quality and shouldn't be causing you problems. FPS related problems are also pretty much never caused by the PSU.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=193
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/arti...nt-Pro-Gold-800-W-Power-Supply-Review/1028/10

600 watt is cutting it close. I always want headroom, I don't rely on any review on the internet....

60W of margin, assuming it's a GOOD 600W PSU that can put all 600W on the 12V rail and that the 540W number is only possible when running the CPU and both GPUs and the HDD and all the fans and everything else at max load, with the CPU and GPU overclocked, I'd say he's good. Especially with his current unit. ;) 600W is a bit close, I guess, and I typically recommend 650W units for that setup..but his current PSU is still enough.

Also, to the OP, you already posted a max temp of 76C in this thread. That means you still have about 14C of headroom for overclocking without a new CPU cooler.

Lol, no, it's not a bad PSU.
It might not be 100% epic, but it's quite good.

Dubious HDD is a good thought.

60W of margin, assuming it's a GOOD 600W PSU that can put all 600W on the 12V rail and that the 540W number is only possible when running the CPU and both GPUs and the HDD and all the fans and everything else at max load, with the CPU and GPU overclocked, I'd say he's good. Especially with his current unit. ;)

600 watt leaves you no room if you want to go water cooling...you always want headroom for expansion...

so when i take my pc to the shop, what should i tell him to look at "hardware wise" and should i tell him to trouble shoot by switching the gpus slots and rams and swapping cpu ? is there more stuff to test so i can find out wats causing this bad performance /

600 watt leaves you no room if you want to go water cooling...you always want headroom for expansion...

Well yes, if he wanted to do water cooling, then we would have to redo the math to include water cooling and then determine that PSU choice. Water cooling is again, only the power draw of a few extra fans (not much) and a pump (20W or so) so maybe 30-40W more for water cooling.

A non-issue to the OP since he has a perfectly functioning PSU that is more than capable of handling his setup.

I would try running the bare minimum (CPU, one GPU, one stick of RAM, only one drive connected) and see what your performance is like. You should be getting significantly better. But yes, try both GPUs, all the slots, every stick of RAM by itself, all the slots. It's a process of elimination to figure out what part is broken (assuming it's a hardware problem). Since you said you reinstalled windows in an attempt to fix it, I would think that the chances of it being a software problem at this point are rather low.

EDIT: You said you used different GPUs as well, so that might not be it. CPU isn't throttling either. I'd try using http://www.memtest.org/ to see if your RAM is stable.

wat? i downloaded it and pressed on burn and it opened my cd rom lol how to use it exactly ? and sorry for being stupid.

You have a nice set up. I would be pissed off too.I would not trust any software program to give me results if I had problems.What I would do is clean and strip all the parts off the motherboard, and treat this like a new build.Use one stick of ram, and test it for errors, following up with a different stick, and different slot.Use video cards to test out both PCI slots to make sure that is not the culprit.One at a time.After it's stripped down, I would use a psu tester to check out psu. What about your hdd's? Have you tested for errors there?

Replacing the power supply for name brand is a good idea.Corsair comes to mind, and upping your ram speed would be in order, as some people have mentioned.Checking the psu, video cards, hdd's, and ram is a good indication that your motherboard / parts are in good working order.

Last edited:
wat? i downloaded it and pressed on burn and it opened my cd rom lol how to use it exactly ? and sorry for being stupid.

It's not a program within Windows. You have to burn/write it to a CD, restart your computer, and tell your computer to boot off of the CD instead of your C:\ did. Usually by hitting an F key or Esc or Delete while your computer is booting up...which key depends on your motherboard.

why does the motherboard bother u ? its the top gigabyte motherboard in the market

Wipeout i used that calculator and it said i need 700W and mine is 1000W so i think i shouldnt change my psu

Back