• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mudajama

I have an ecs a780gm-a v1.1. I know that this board is not friendly to oc'ing. What actually makes boards hard if not impossible to oc. Is there anything to be done to help it out.

To overclock, you need BIOS options to be able to raise FSB and vcore among other things. If your board doesn't have these options in your BIOS, that can make things difficult.

I would read one of the stickies about overclocking. Sometimes to get stability you have to raise the vcore but you need adequate cooling too and a good power supply. You don't want to overheat your cpu. Can you post your complete specs?

I'm not familiar with that particular board but bad OC'ing can have a couple of causes and they're all related to the quality of the board components. Sometimes it's something very simple like a marginal heatsink on the NB or SB that causes overheating. More often, it's the power delivery system using marginal chips, which causes fluctuations in voltage for the various components. If I had to guess I'd say it's the latter in this case - and probably no cooling on the power chips (to the left of the CPU).

As a last-ditch effort you might try cooling the power chips better. What CPU heatsink do you use ...?

Back