• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prices have gone up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

I was just pricing components for a build a friend wants me to do. I notice that prices for ram and conventional hard discs has risen lately. A 2x4 set of 1600 or 1866 DDR3 is about $10 more than it has been for months and I think hd prices are up about 20% from a few weeks ago.

I know ram has been going up since C_D and I have looked at ram. I have not noticed the HDDs were on the rise again. Need to check SSDs.
RGone...

I see it like cheaper RAM goes up but high end is going down. For some months already you can find many 1600 kits in the price of 1866/2133. All depends from brand.
SSD will go down since more drives are on TLC now. It's going down with quality I can say.

It's the type of NAND in the SSD
TLC was the less robust NAND going into usb flash drives.
Samsung was the first to start putting it into SSD with the new 840 models to drive costs down

LOL, no.

But is he talking SLC or MLC, never heard of TLC myself!

EDIT: TLC is triple layer NAND I guess.

I have noticed that reg 1333, 1600 RAMS have gone up to 30-40% within last month or so, SSD prices are steady so far just they are not on fluke sale right now. Platter HDD's have gone down slightly but still not to the label before Thailand got flooded.
500GB of WD blue was -$50 on 2010, went up to $90 after flooding and is around $60 now.

90Gb and 120GB SSds were on sale everywhere by the third quarter of last year not any more, and guess people are eyeing on bigger sizes so you see more of 256GBs on sale now.

Last edited:
Yeah, you do see the bigger sized SSD's on sale now.

It also looks to me that WD may have have merged their black and red platter drive lines.

I was a die hard NewEgg fan for many years,but Amazon has them beat on pricing.Yes,pricing fluctuates,but I will leave it in the cart and wait.One last very important thing about hdd's.....

FRUSTRATION FREE PACKAGING- When you order a hhd from Amazon,it has the hhd suspended in a small box to insure it does not bounce around.I would never buy any hhd,if it was not shipped this way.OK! I'm spoiled now:p

With prices, who knows trents,but for for the hell of it,put items in a Amazon cart and wait to pull the trigger.Sometimes you cant wait,I understand,but if you want a deal,thats were to look!

Thank God hhd prices are not what they where a year and a half ago....

TLC = Triple Level Cell. Not nearly as robust as even MLC stuff. It costs less to manufacture so the drives using it would seem to hold their price. Everybody was wonky about SSD life with SLC, then MLC...wait until they realize that their SSD may have TLC nand in it. Hehehe. Freeken shett.
RGone...

I was a die hard NewEgg fan for many years,but Amazon has them beat on pricing.Yes,pricing fluctuates,but I will leave it in the cart and wait.One last very important thing about hdd's.....

FRUSTRATION FREE PACKAGING- When you order a hhd from Amazon,it has the hhd suspended in a small box to insure it does not bounce around.I would never buy any hhd,if it was not shipped this way.OK! I'm spoiled now:p

With prices, who knows trents,but for for the hell of it,put items in a Amazon cart and wait to pull the trigger.Sometimes you cant wait,I understand,but if you want a deal,thats were to look!

Thank God hhd prices are not what they where a year and a half ago....

You know, I think you might be right! I just priced a couple of components on Amazon that I ordered today for this system build, a case and the HD and they were both about $10.00 cheaper on Amazon and, like Egg, free shipping which has always been Egg's edge until now.

But it is kind of nice when you are ordering a whole grocery list of components to be able to get all the stuff in one place rather than hunt all over to find them. Plus, it is so hassle free to return something to Egg.

And the hard drive packaging, it might not be very consistent as on Amazon you may get it from one place one time and another place another time and one may really protect it well and the other won't. Unlike Egg, Amazon is not a central warehouse business where stuff originates from the same place from order to order, though Egg is getting away from that centralized distribution more and more.

You know, I think you might be right! I just priced a couple of components on Amazon that I ordered today for this system build, a case and the HD and they were both about $10.00 cheaper on Amazon and, like Egg, free shipping which has always been Egg's edge until now.

But it is kind of nice when you are ordering a whole grocery list of components to be able to get all the stuff in one place rather than hunt all over to find them. Plus, it is so hassle free to return something to Egg.

And the hard drive packaging, it might not be very consistent as on Amazon you may get it from one place one time and another place another time and one may really protect it well and the other won't. Unlike Egg, Amazon is not a central warehouse business where stuff originates from the same place from order to order, though Egg is getting away from that centralized distribution more and more.

Let me clear this up.You are correct.Amazon has many 3rd party venders,but they are required to use the frustration free packing according to Amazons shipping policy.This only pertains to hdd's,as far as I know.The trick here is to buy items through Amazon vs a 3rd party. You have to be careful.You will see the item listed,and then a comment like ,sold by Amazon LLC,or something to that effect.When you buy directly through Amazon all the same rules apply,just like the Egg-30 day return,free shipping,ect...That is why I leave stuff in the cart.I bought a 500g wd hhd,but it was using a 3rd party vender,but after 3 days in the cart,there supply must of ran out,and then Amazon was selling the drive.Boom! that's when you pull the trigger.On a side note,If a third party vender screws you,Amazon will back you up with there A to Z guarantee,but a little more bs to go through.

Free shipping on all items over 25 dollars,but must be sold by Amazon.Just bought a Rosewill Black Hawk case(New Egg's house brand,go figure,that price never goes down) and a Corsair 650 watt psu a month ago,and saved 30 dollars over the Egg.I had it in the cart for 2 weeks,until I hit a Amazon deal on the case. It went from 90 dollars to 70 dollars just for that day,or for a short period,I guess.Saved another 10 dollars on the psu.Used the money I saved to buy a few new ps3 games using Amazon warehouse deals.The best deal I ever got through Amazon was a Black Friday Deal.This deal lasted 15 minutes.A 250g PS3 bundle with 4 games for 200 dollars.I paid 250 dollars for a 160g PS3,three months prior..Amazon must have alot of warehouses because even using the free super saver shipping,I get my stuff from close neighboring states.I live in Ohio.All the stuff I bought from the Egg came from Tennessee or California.They have a warhouse in NJ,but I never get that lucky.Even on blank dvd media :screwy:

Last edited:
Overall, price are rising from the begening of 2013. Just build yourself 2 or 3 rig using pcpartpicker and look and the price overtime graph, you have some dip dow in ~feb but overall, its raising.

Back