• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Grounds For Divorce

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I am going a little slower than i wanted for a few reasons. 1. I don't want to pay $400+ for my striker extreme witch is still on back order and I've been a little busy at work. but i Did get my EK full coverage water block for my 8800 gtx today. it is definitely a beautiful piece of machining. hers some pics

I've started pressing out the little threaded inserts in some of the case pieces. these can't be in the pieces for anodizing because they will contaminate the anodizing tank. its a little hairy because this is thin aluminum and pressing the inserts back in my not work if the holes in the aluminum get stretched out. I'm hoping for the best but a few of the more complicated pieces I've decided to paint or powder cote so i don't have to take the chance. I should be getting everything anodized this week.

this is what the inserts look like. they are somewhat ingenious they have an under cut beneath the hex head for the aluminum that is displaced by the hex being pressed flush into the aluminum. it also holds them in place

The main two pieces i will not be anodizing are the mother board tray witch is half steel anyways and the main panel that separates the top of the case from the bottom. that piece is just complicated enough that it was going to be a pain to press out the inserts. those two pieces are circled in red here

Not quite but I did have pneumonia the last week and a half so I haven’t done much with the project lately. I’m feeling better now so I should be able to get some stuff done this week. I got my striker extreme and a bunch of parts are out getting anodized black. I should get those this week and start the basic assembly. I’ll try to get some more pics up soon. :beer:

SCORPIONlt1 said:
Not quite but I did have pneumonia the last week and a half so I haven’t done much with the project lately. I’m feeling better now so I should be able to get some stuff done this week. I got my striker extreme and a bunch of parts are out getting anodized black. I should get those this week and start the basic assembly. I’ll try to get some more pics up soon. :beer:

How do you anodize a motherboard?

jivetrky said:
How do you anodize a motherboard?
:D I'm pretty sure he means he got his Striker Extreme delivered today and he has sent out some parts to be anodized. But that would be awesome if that was possible!!! :)

Seven said:
Looking very very good so far. Have you come up with a solution for mounting the radiator yet?

yup i have some 1" aluminum 90 deg. stock I'm going to make a bracket out of and i can use the threaded hole that are already in the bottom of the case to bolt it to. I just need to mill some material out of the bracket so it does not interrupt the air flow through the radiator.

dylskee said:
:D I'm pretty sure he means he got his Striker Extreme delivered today and he has sent out some parts to be anodized. But that would be awesome if that was possible!!! :)

Yea what he said :beer:

LOL I love the project name too! My wife erm, more or less knows how much money I spend on my PC's. Of course, I build stuff for her too, so I can get away with some extravagances :p

Avatar rocks, btw :D Nothing like being a grown man and enjoying cartoons that show on Nickelodeon, haha!

Chaos_Being said:
LOL I love the project name too! My wife erm, more or less knows how much money I spend on my PC's. Of course, I build stuff for her too, so I can get away with some extravagances :p

Avatar rocks, btw :D Nothing like being a grown man and enjoying cartoons that show on Nickelodeon, haha!

I don't really build stuff for my wife but I give her my old stuff. But my old stuff has more power than shell ever use anyways.

Avatar does rock!!!!! but.....um....ya....I only watch it because......ya....uuh my son likes it :D
and thanks your the first person to comment on my avatar avatar :beer:

Well I finally got some pics, here are a couple of how I'm going to mount my radiator. I haven't machined the bracket at all so right know its just a piece of aluminum angle. I will be milling it out so it does not block any of the flow of the radiator and putting some slots in it for attaching it. I'm going to slot it rather than just drilling it so i will have some adjustability.

Hear are some pics of the mother board tray and the divider between the top and bottom sections. I painted the pieces instead of anodizing because there was a lot of metal in them. They were more complicated than some of the other pieces so I was a little weary about disassembling them so paint will have to do. I've been getting a little impatient so I started assembling. I've got the mother board with the RAM CPU and Dylskees 7800GTX my 8800GTX will be in on Wednesday. So I'm A little optimistic I may get all the pieces and get it up and running this coming weekend. :beer:

Looks awesome so far man!!:beer: I love that case, can't wait to see the H2O setup in that thing! By the way, you can keep the 7800GTX and you can just send that cheesy 8800GTX to my house. :D

That anodizing is gorgeous. Where did you have it done or did you do it yourself? As a machinist I'm sure you have some connections ;)

datura3 said:
That anodizing is gorgeous. Where did you have it done or did you do it yourself? As a machinist I'm sure you have some connections ;)

those pieces I actually painted my self. I used a black primer and a krylon tough coat flat black. I sanded in between coats and to the final coat with a 3M industrial brillo. If anyone Knows the product it was the gray one witch is pretty soft and fine so it gave me a very smooth finish. It would scratch a gloss finish but it does wonders for a flat finish.

I just got most of the anodized parts back today I'll be posting pics this afternoon.

Oh ya i got the parts anodized at Reliable Plating in Worcester MA, My shop gets a lot of stuff plated there. Good people over there they do a great job :beer:

Back