• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[ Project: Omerta ]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sneaky

Skulltrail Junkie
Well, I've used 2 different Mountain Mods U2-UFO cubes for many different builds and revisions of thoes builds, but now I'm finally opting for something different with this project. I decided that I'm going to be somewhat normal again, plus I want a rig thats easier to transport to LAN's, and one that just doesn't take up as much space or make as much noise. This time around, Its going to be a completely silent air-cooled DX10/Vista build, named Project: Omerta. Omerta is the vow of silence taken by Italian mafioso, and thoes who break Omerta are punished by death, without exception.

Welcome to the realm of Project: Omerta

Case/Components:
  • Enclosure: Lian Li PC-S80B Silent Black Aluminum Server Case - HAVE

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe - NEED

• Motherboard: Asus P5WDG2-WS Pro 975X - HAVE

• Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) Super Talent DDR2-800/PC2-6400 T800UX2GC4 (4-4-3-8) - NEED

• Graphics: HIS Hightech Radeon X1950XTX 512MB - NEED (or use current X1900XTX until next gen cards)

• Audio: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1 Channel PCI Sound Card - HAVE

• Storage: 2x Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10,000RPM 16MB Cache SATA (RAID 0) - HAVE
  • 3x Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 250GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache SATA II (Backup Drives) - HAVE

• 5.25 Devices: 2x Black Samsung 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write - NEED

• Power: Zippy/Emacs PSL-6701P-SATA 700w w/ Full PFC - HAVE

• Display: Samsung SyncMaster 940B 8ms 19” LCD – HAVE

Cooling:

• CPU Heatsink: Thermalright Ultra-120 - HAVE

• GPU Heatsink: Thermalright HR-03 - ORDERED

• North Bridge Heatsink: Thermalright HR-05 - ORDERED

OR

Water Cooling:

• CPU Block: AquaXtreme MP-05 PRO Limited Edition - NEED

• GPU Block: AquaXtreme MP-1 - HAVE

• Radiator: Black Swiftech MCR320 Quiet Power Series Triple 120mm - NEED

• Pumps: Laing DDC-2TP Rev. 2 "Plus" w/ Alphacool Acrylic Top - HAVE

• Fillport/Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Mini Reservoir - HAVE

• Tubing: Masterkleer 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD (3/32" Wall) Tubing - HAVE

• Hose Clamps: 10x 316 Stainless Steel Worm Drive Hose Clamps 7/16" to 25/32", 5/16" band - HAVE

Fans:

• CPU Heatsink Fan: Arctic Cooling AF12025 120x25mm- HAVE

• GPU Heatsink Fan: Arctic Cooling AF9225 92x25mm - ORDERED

• 120mm Case Fans: 3x Arctic Cooling AF12025 120x25mm - HAVE

• 80mm Case Fans: 1x Arctic Cooling AF8025 80x25mm - HAVE

Last edited:
well the Supertalent I'm getting, its been picked out and tested to do 4-4-3-4 @ 1050mhz w/ 2.25v :)

but that new team group xtreme looks pretty tasty... :bday:

OK - case is officially ordered and shipped

I'm still trying to force myself to cut into the top of this case to put a MCR-320 up there for silent watercooling... but I just can't bring myself to do it

Until then it stays cooled with silent air, which I've been quite happy with in the past, so I'll play it by ear and see how well it does this time around with the Lian-Li PC-S80B :)

Looking pretty good. Are you sure you're going to be able to silently air cool a processor that powerful? I'm looking forward to this one.

well, so far my choices i've narrowed it down to for silent cooling are the thermalright ultra-120 or thermalright HR-01 with the rear fan duct

(I don't like the mounting that the scythe ninja or thermaltake BT uses, the scythe infinity has compatability issues with certain LGA775 boards, and I can't justify spending so much money on a Tuniq tower, which doesn't even exhaust towards the back of the case)

we'll see how the ultra 120 goes, and hopefully it can get the E6600 to do at least 3.2ghz daily stable with low voltage

the P5WDG2-WS Pro already does 450fsb like cake, the teh 64 WS did 470 like cake

I already have the P5WDG2-WS Pro and am completely happy with it, so thats what I shall use :)

plus on the 64-Pro, the bottom (and only) PCI slot is blocked by the card in the 4th slot, so I wouldn't be able to use my X-Fi

just pulled everything out of my U2-UFO and have it ghetto rigged on the floor ready to go into the PC-S80B that comes tomorrow :)

many pics to come

Show me the money Sneaky!

I'm looking forward to seeing if you can actually get this to silent levels without a drop in performance. Will influence what I do with my own Conroe project.

well, right now I'm running the same overclock on my 920 presler off of water and with my Ultra-120 on it - temps raised a few degrees, but its still completely stable

my x1900xtx was getting a bit toasty on the stock heatsink @ 700/825, so I dropped it back down to stock until the HR-03 shows up (please god be a GOOD heatsink!!!)

otherwise if the HR-03 fails to cool the X1900XTX better than stock, I'm just gonna say fzuckit and begin modding the PC-S80B for water cooling (which I honestly don't want to do... its just so clean the way it is)

here's my PC as it currently resides on the floor (yeah yeah, its a 120mm LED fan blowing over my 2 raptors... it was free, it was what I had sitting on my shelf, and it keeps the raptors cool, so I don't want to hear about it :p)

nocase.jpg

edit: I should've probably gotten some pics of my first mod I did - I pulled off the stock NB heatsink/heatpipe contraption, and pulled the heatpipe out of the mosfet heatsink, and replaced the NB heatsink with my old NB-1C for the time being (DAMN that little 45mm fan is ANNOYING!!!), and I replaced the terrible gray thermal pad for the MOSFET sink with AS Ceramique (used Ceramique for CPU, NB, and GPU as well :) - I've come to prefer it over AS5 on well-lapped surfaces) - oh well, I'll get pics tomorrow (err... later today... 1:24 AM in WI)

ok, I got the case yesterday and just threw everything in the for the time being

and yeah... I already cut into the case to make my ultra 120 fit, because I was in a hurry to get it all fit in and running again, and I kinda regret it, but when I take it all out again when I get a new PSU, I'll take my dremel and clean up the hacksaw job I did on the case

but so far, so good - case looks dead sexy and is dead silent as well... and this IS NOT LIGHT - all the case panels are made of 2mm thick aluminum :drool:

c1_01.jpg

c1_02.jpg

c1_03.jpg

c1_04.jpg

c1_05.jpg

c1_06.jpg

c1_07.jpg

c1_08.jpg

Very Nice sneaky... I like the case but it doesn't have enough 5.25 bays for me.... oh well it works for you and looks great!!!

~jtjuska

did some wire management - modified a molex to SATA power cable and added extra snap-on SATA connectors spaced for the drives :)

wm_1.JPG

was doing an order for a friend/customer, and decided to pick up a set of black anodized aluminum Lian-Li casters from performance-pcs, along with one of thoes little 6-port sunbeam fan plug gizmo's like FCG had in his new Lian-Li build over at XS

I'm gonna wait until the caster set arrives before I install the HR-01 and HR-03 on the NB and GPU, as if I'm gonna take everything out of the case, I might as well do it all at once and get the wheels on at the same time :)

Back