• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ps2cho's Asus Eee PC (4G 701) Review!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't have my eee with me right now but there are a ton of ways to make a bootable flash drive.

Research Bart PE, the ultimate boot disk and putting that on a flash drive although an external dvdrom is pretty cheap and not a bad thing to have.

And yeah, it sucks that I screwed up and cracked the touch screen, oh well. I am ordering a new one and a gps receiver to install internally. I may try to squeeze a second hub inside and hook up this little biometric scanner I bought.

I know there are many way to make this work, I've just been following the thread I posted at. I think it's the simplest and quickest way to make this work.
Thanks.

I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know if the method I described works (all that we need to check is that the L2 driver has actually loaded).
I also have IDE --> USB adapter on its way, but it will probably take a week or two more to get here.

I'm just really interested in seeing if that works or not :)

Just pick up an external enclosure.

I bought an LG DVD drive so I could rip wii games but I opted to put it in an enclosure so I can move it around and let people borrow it, etc...

I think the drive was 20 bucks and the enclosure was like 10.

I may be busy for the next night or two but if I can I will try to scare up a flash drive and give it a try.

Ok thanks, I appreciate the help. :)
Was finally able to download the LAN driver from the ASUS website, it seems like I did use the correct file. Now we just need to test and see if it works.

Last edited:
any chance that they will come out with one with the screen going all the way to the edges of the monitor? I can't stand the look of the speakers, its the only reason i'm not buying one.

There are rumors that the next gen Eee PC will come with 8", 9" and maybe even a 10" screen. So if they keep the dimentions more or less the same, the screen on the new models will be a lot bigger in proportion to the rest of the casing compared to the current Eee.

There are rumors that the next gen Eee PC will come with 8", 9" and maybe even a 10" screen. So if they keep the dimentions more or less the same, the screen on the new models will be a lot bigger in proportion to the rest of the casing compared to the current Eee.

that would be sweet :santa:

It would be great, but I am expecting them to increase the price for a few reasons:

1st is temperature concerns. If they are to drop a Core 2 processor in, temperatures will increase so the plastic case will have to go first of all as that will heat up very fast. This will increase the weight too along with a beefier heatsink. The screen will be larger so thats a bigger cost.

I think if it increases 1lbs and the screen size is 10" I would be willing to pay $600 for it. It's a great laptop and has huge potential for the future!

Who's concerned about heat?

(says the guy who removed the fan in his eee)

Those of us who want something besides an underclocked celery :)

If they do end up releasing one with a slightly bigger screen/hdd, then Ill be willing to spend a few hundred to keep in my bag for school instead of lugging this 17" behemoth around. Ive seen some pretty good mods for them.

Care to give this a go on the Eee? (the first part)
I really want to know if the L2 driver will really be able to start the onboard LAN/

Care to give this a go on the Eee? (the first part)
I really want to know if the L2 driver will really be able to start the onboard LAN/

Oh forgot to mention.....the Eee does have a boot on LAN option in the bios. Maybe you already know that though.

Yep, I know.
There's even a guide that shows you how to setup your own server on the PC to boot from LAN.

Well I got my IDE --> USB adapter, the Eee is still awaiting customs inspection, for a week now... so I'm set regarding the ability to slap winxp on it right as i get it.

Let us know how you like it :)

I'm back home now so if you need me to do anything drop me a PM or reply.

I'm supposed to get mine tomorrow. I'll send you an IMG file you could burn to a CD (emulating floppy with Nero) when I get home from work (in about 2 hours), and I'd like to see if you could get the network started or did it fail.
The only guy who tried it on the eeeuser forums said it didn't work.
I'm just interested in this as its a new and rather simple way of making it work w/o a CDROM.

I'm supposed to get mine tomorrow. I'll send you an IMG file you could burn to a CD (emulating floppy with Nero) when I get home from work (in about 2 hours), and I'd like to see if you could get the network started or did it fail.
The only guy who tried it on the eeeuser forums said it didn't work.
I'm just interested in this as its a new and rather simple way of making it work w/o a CDROM.

Yes send it over. I gotta reformat my Eee so go right ahead!

Back