• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ps2cho's Asus Eee PC (4G 701) Review!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I guess the mod is reversible yank out the USB sticks and desolder the wires. Ps2cho you're on EEEuser, my mod is the same as others on the site you get the folding USB hub and USB sticks the strip the casings solder in and BAM.

Interesting.

I guess I keep thinking my Eee is more delicate than any other laptop....Its still a laptop and should be fine unless I do something stupid.

I will probably do something soon once I figure out what I realistically need to mod in.

Great program man!

When you say no "scrolling", do you mean 1024x768 will fit on the screen completely without having to drag down to see the bottom? If so, then mine still scrolls...

I would definitely donate if you managed to get rid of the scrolling! I love the Num/Caps/Scroll Lock.

Great job.

I really got screwed big time by the local post office, so I don't have my EEE PC yet.
I'm starting to wonder if I will ever get it....
So I couldn't really test the scaling feature thouroly I will have to look into it a bit more.

What I want to know is does 1024x768 even work at all? (When you untick "Hide modes this monitor can't support")

10x7 doesn't work for me. It just flickers a load of times then returns to what I had it at before.

Are you sure its possible to run 800x600 scaled so there is no scrolling?

I'm 100% sure it is possible in general.
I hope it can be done programmatically, not just by hacking drivers...
The app I based my program on seems to work, so I think I may be doing something wrong.

I will try to dig up some more info about this. I may see if I can get some info out of people with some knowledge.

Last edited:
I'm 100% sure it is possible in general.
I hope it can be done programmatically, not just by hacking drivers...
The app I based my program on seems to work, so I think I may be doing something wrong.

I will try to dig up some more info about this. I may see if I can get some info out of people with some knowledge.

Yep. I'm pretty useless other than someone who can say if X works or not LOL.

I tried learning Java in high school, but I really struggled. My brain just can't do it. I learned the basics, but when it came down to classes and implementing all different stuff I just got overwhelmed.

If we could get this to work, that would be amazing!!! The resolution is the ONLY thing that I can say I dislike about the Eee. If we could get 800x600 without scrolling, it would be a dream come true! :santa:

i got 800X600 on my g/f's to work without scrooling but i forget how i did it. i know i dident use the eee's driveing from asus i used some from intel but i dont know what ones. i'm haveing her bring it home this weekend and i'll tell you what ones are on it.

i got 800X600 on my g/f's to work without scrooling but i forget how i did it. i know i dident use the eee's driveing from asus i used some from intel but i dont know what ones. i'm haveing her bring it home this weekend and i'll tell you what ones are on it.

There are a load of people coding programs and you just happen to get it to work but forgot how LOL?

yeah it was about 3 days before christmas to get it ready for my g/f on christmas day. I think i know what i did but im gonna check out her pc.

I remember because the stock res sucked and when i put it on 800X600 it was nothing but scrolling so i messed with it and got it to work. then i wanted 1024X786 but that dident work out to good or at all lol.

You just need kkjj's program with the Intel Driver that has been tweaked by LaserTag. If you need 640x480 you either need LaserTag's tweaked IEG driver or I believe the Asus R2H has support too.

Scaling is using a virtual res non-scaling gives you the scrolling.

Right now I'm using the 0801 BIOS with LazerTag's IEG driver and I can play pretty much every game released 3 years ago. I use EEECTL to overclock my EEE to 1035mhz when I need it.

The downside to the IEG Driver is Suspend is broken and so is turning off the monitor after xx time. The EEE doesn't last long in suspend anyway but I do miss the turning off monitor power option.

Version 1.0 Beta Build 399 - 26th February, 2008

- Add: Build number on bottom left for easy sub-version differation.
- Add: Show an error message if resolution change was unsuccessful.

- Fix: Write Binary type of registry entry instead of DWORD. (hopefully a fix for scaling)
- Fix: Scaling is never enabled on startup.
- Fix: Resolution settings should now be saved after a reboot.

- Change: System tray now shows current resolution setting.

Download

Now I just can't wait to get my EEE to start testing. I will probably trust the Asus R2H driver the most as it is supposed to be a "tweaked" driver directly from ASUS, does it support 1024x768? Hope this new version works better for you.

Well. I have no scrolling!!

I had to use a hacked driver to get it to work though.

The quality is not as good as 800x480, but its worth it for the extra space.

Guess what?
I'm posting this from my new EEE PC! Right now I gotta go to work, will throw XP on it tonight.
Right now I'm playing around with the stock OS in beginner's mode. Looks and feels very quick and snappy.
This lappy came with the 401 BIOS, any particular reason to update it or should I just leave it as it is?

Well. I have no scrolling!!

I had to use a hacked driver to get it to work though.

The quality is not as good as 800x480, but its worth it for the extra space.
You should try and play with DPI settings.
It's really sad that the EEE PC VBIOS doesn't support 1000x600, that resolution would be sweet with a bigger DPI settings.

Last edited:
Back