• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ps2cho's Asus Eee PC (4G 701) Review!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Grrr having trouble getting my FN Keys to work. I did a reinstall and now they aren't working.

i've been keepin an eye on these things, hows the battery life with it up to 900Mhz?
i've been thinking about em more and more because i may be getting a night job where i wont do much and i thought it would be cool to get one and a USB ATSC tuner to watch TV and be able to surf the net after letterman and craig go off.

i've been keepin an eye on these things, hows the battery life with it up to 900Mhz?
i've been thinking about em more and more because i may be getting a night job where i wont do much and i thought it would be cool to get one and a USB ATSC tuner to watch TV and be able to surf the net after letterman and craig go off.

Battery life at 900MHz is roughly 2 and a bit hours surfing.
The power adapter is the size of a phone charger, its so small you can throw it in your pocket and unplug it real fast.

Its a great little toy.

It looks like I'm going to have to RMA mine though as the FN keys are broken. :(

heh thats why they are F'N keys!

i wonder how hard it would be to replace 4 cells with 6400Mah batteries or higher.

If you're using the 8804 Bios that's why. Use the 511 BIOS, change to performance mode then flash to the 801 that'll give you 900mhz and fix fan problems.

No but you see they were working fine. It stopped after i reformatted windows because it got corrupt. The stock OS crashes and locks up too. Something is wrong.

I'll let you guys know how the RMA goes.

I spoke to the tech guy on Friday (who was kinda rude) and he issued the RMA, I'm just waiting on an email from the RMA department for instructions.

so.....RMA Start: 2/23/08
let's see how long it takes.

No but you see they were working fine. It stopped after i reformatted windows because it got corrupt. The stock OS crashes and locks up too. Something is wrong.

I'll let you guys know how the RMA goes.

I spoke to the tech guy on Friday (who was kinda rude) and he issued the RMA, I'm just waiting on an email from the RMA department for instructions.

so.....RMA Start: 2/23/08
let's see how long it takes.

But which BIOS are you using? If you're reinstalling using the 8804 the ACPI driver won't work.

my g/f's 8G is working perfect. Running a slight volt mod and oc to 1ghz. She uses it every day to take notes on and stuff and loves it.

But which BIOS are you using? If you're reinstalling using the 8804 the ACPI driver won't work.

Oh so its driver related, not BIOS related then? So the fact that the driver worked with the original BIOS, and wouldn't install with the 8804 BIOS made the difference?

Ok then let's try fixing this!

What BIOS should I flash to from this point?

EDIT: Flashed to the 0701 BIOS and FN keys work again!!! I LOVE YOU :D !

I wonder if I should now flash back to the 8804, or what other BIOS' have the 900MHz option?

Last edited:
Oh so its driver related, not BIOS related then? So the fact that the driver worked with the original BIOS, and wouldn't install with the 8804 BIOS made the difference?

Ok then let's try fixing this!

What BIOS should I flash to from this point?

EDIT: Flashed to the 0701 BIOS and FN keys work again!!! I LOVE YOU :D !

I wonder if I should now flash back to the 8804, or what other BIOS' have the 900MHz option?

It's both. The ACPI is half broken with the 8804 because the 8804 has broken ACPI code (Typical Asus).

You have to use a working ACPI bios to install the driver then flash the 8804 in order to have 8804 and FN keys working. The 8804 is really really buggy.

I'd suggest you get the 0511 BIOS use it to get 900mhz. Then Flash to the 0801. The reason I would say to not stick with the 0511 is because again with Broken ACPI the fan state gets screwed up and either turns on to max or doesn't turn on at all. The 0801 and the 703 fix this.

Oh and someone upgraded the CPU in the EEE.

http://blog.tom.com/guryhwa1121/article/2915.html

If I can get the CPU I'll attempt it soon. Shouldn't be toooooo hard I figure heat gun and fast melting solder.

Yeh I saw that yesterday. I'm trying to figure out where to buy that processor because once this gets out, all those processors will be GONE LOL!
Gotta grab em while we can. Let me know if you find somewhere that sells them!

im working on a guide. when she comes home for spring break i'll finish the guide and take pics. I will tell you its not to easy.

How many volts did you have to give it? I can overclock mine to 1035Mhz using the 630mhz voltage my temp underload is about 66 degrees.

I installed a TV Tuner and Bluetooth receiver in mine, I'm thinking about installing a GPS to get the ultimate mobile machine but I'm running out of room.

Damn you guys have some cool stuff in yours!
I really want to put stuff into my Eee, but I don't want the warranty out the window just yet.

Is it reversible at all?

Damn you guys have some cool stuff in yours!
I really want to put stuff into my Eee, but I don't want the warranty out the window just yet.

Is it reversible at all?

I guess the mod is reversible yank out the USB sticks and desolder the wires. Ps2cho you're on EEEuser, my mod is the same as others on the site you get the folding USB hub and USB sticks the strip the casings solder in and BAM.

Back