• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 or E6600??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
now while that guy has a TR120ex that 125+ prolly like 140-150 watts with that speed/voltage increase. the Quads are clocking better cause of the mobo not cause of anything else.

That guy better be doing 4.3ghz on no more than 1.40vcore... And that is if he has an old LS that will hold 200w. I don't see what voltage he is using though. If he's doing any more than that his LS better be modded if he wants to use all 4 cores more than 15 minutes. He's going to watch(hear) his compressor work itself to death and choke on it's own juices.

Thank you all for the wealth of information. I did not know about the new Core 2's coming out on the 22nd. Seeing as I am not really doing a ton of audio/video editing atm there is no justification for me going Quad...especially if the heat is significantly higher then the duos (I don't have a water cooling system, I usually go for really good air coolers ie. Ultra 120 Extreme). Even if my air cooling was sufficient for the quads...the new duos with their higher fsb seems just too tempting. Once again, thanks for all the help and information! :clap:

The Newegg reviewer suffers from a disease, I believe we call it AMD fanboyism. Seriously dude, the Intel Quads suffer from some (not a lot at all) memory issues because there are 4 cores vying for the same memory, but if you up the bus speed, there will be no problem. Barcelona may be great in all, but I would rather have a Penryn than a Barcelona, assuming the Penryn out performs AMD's part (if reversed, all praise to AMD).

In the world of today, you really can't hold out for a specific company, they go up and down faster than the pistons in my V8.

Evilsizer said:
...the new 133fsb dual core are coming out... G0 stepping ES's are currently hitting 3.8ghz on 1.37volts... Its gonna be interesting when things finally hit retail. i have plans to buy a e6850... since the release of p35 thats pretty much the one to get with either a quad or dual.here is some E6550 G0 stepping action.
So if those P35 boards can hit 500+ with ease and those new 1333 chips will have lower multipliers, memory bandwidth will be taken care of quite nicely :D

Audioaficionado said:
So if those P35 boards can hit 500+ with ease and those new 1333 chips will have lower multipliers, memory bandwidth will be taken care of quite nicely :D
no not lower the same as there is now 7,8,9, E6850 being 9x.

I was thinking of a 2.4GHz chip. So that E6850 will run 3GHz stock with a higher fsb of 1333 quad pumped. My E6600 runs 2.4GHz at 1066 quad pumped.

So that ends up being faster and a better bus bandwidth.

Audioaficionado said:
I was thinking of a 2.4GHz chip. So that E6850 will run 3GHz stock with a higher fsb of 1333 quad pumped. My E6600 runs 2.4GHz at 1066 quad pumped.

So that ends up being faster and a better bus bandwidth.
with a sprinkle of G0 stepping for uber clocking!:clap: [email protected]!

flyingfanatic33 said:
And besides, the Q6600 will run a 1333MHz FSB come Jul 22. So between that, and a C2D, there is a clear winner...
So lets see if I understand this correctly:

The Q6600 is a 9x 1066 chip now. (2400MHz)

After the price drops or there abouts, they will be 9x 1333 chips? (3000MHz)

Or will they be 7x 1333 chips? (2400MHz)

flyingfanatic33 said:
And besides, the Q6600 will run a 1333MHz FSB come Jul 22. So between that, and a C2D, there is a clear winner...

uh.... link???

only the 6X50 processors will run at 1333MHz which are the 6550, 6750, 6850. The Q6600 will remain at 1066MHz FSB.

thideras said:
/offtopic
Where do you guys find these people?! I need to befriend someone there or get a job there!!!

/ontopic

My uncle is a big wig at Intel (making $1 million a year) and so I get alllllll the good hook ups :clap:

No one cares OAScissor.

/end lament.

---------

As for the Q6600, I was thinking of buying one today with an Asus P5K-V motherboard (no reason for the se version, I don't require a wifi port), but the debate for a motherboard worth purchasing is still in limbo, I like Asus, actually, love asus...and I hear the P5K performs decent, I just do not have sufficient information regarding what is better in terms of OC'ing, stability, etcetera.

P5NT-WS from Asus is another choice, and another marketed "opinion" quoted from different websites as "Quard Core read, and works flawlessly.."

I need some opinions! I only have 1400 to blow, so its mobo/cpu/video card and a new cpu for the time being..oh and proper air-cooling...

Evilsizer said:
Your link took me to this link and this interesting snippet of info about the B3-->G0 conversion and thermal improvements.
http://intel.pcnalert.com/content/eolpcn/PCN107463-00.pdf
Description of Change to the Customer:
The Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q6600 and Intel® Xeon® processors X3220 and X3210 will undergo
the following changes for the B-3 to G-0 processor stepping conversion:
• CPUID will change from 06F7 to 06FB
• New S-specs for converting products
• The converting products will change from the 2005 Performance FMB(105W) to the 2005
Mainstream FMB (95W)
• The Electrical, Mechanical and Thermal Specifications remain within the current specifications.
Intel anticipates no changes to customer platforms designed to Intel guidelines.
o Tcase for the Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q6600 and Intel® Xeon® processors
X3220 and X3210 on G-0 stepping has been increased by 11 oC
. Tcontrol offset will
remain the same relative to increase in Tcase which will help reduce acoustics
Come on you die hard DAAMIT fanboys, go over to the dark side and feel the power of the Intel force :D

This is all great info, I'm in the same boat as Ryanzbane building a new system (mostly gaming for me). I'm trying to balance out componant costs like CPU and GC with accessories like a nice case and potentially liquid cooling (I'm looking at the "Silver Koolance Aluminum Mid Tower ATX Computer Case PC3-426SL, w/ 680W Liquid Cooling System"). I have a pretty set budget and I'm debateing on water cooling so I can over clock my cpu and 8800GTX.

do you guys think I'd be better off with air cooling or water? I'm really leaning toward the Q6600 to keep up with future game releases, its just hard not to go nuts and spend $3000 building this thing. but if I went with one of the new cheap dual cores water would be more affordable...

do you guys have any good recommendations for air cooling a Q6600? what kind of ghz increase do you think I could expect with good air cooling vs 650w of water cooling (obviously I'd be cooling more than just the CPU).

Don't buy a quad now, for the future. When properly multi threaded games are available that will actually benefit a lot from multi core, then buy clovertown or whatever is newest when those games come out. I wouldn't buy a race car now, for a race or event I'm going to participate in in 2009.

Tyranos said:
Don't buy a quad now, for the future. When properly multi threaded games are available that will actually benefit a lot from multi core, then buy clovertown or whatever is newest when those games come out. I wouldn't buy a race car now, for a race or event I'm going to participate in in 2009.

I'm building it for games that are coming out in a few months, but I'm not ordering the parts just yet. but I want the computer to still perform well a year from now, I can't go buying a new computer every year or 2 just to keep up.

Back