• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 or E6600??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Honestly...I've had to push back my new computer soooo many times now. July 22nd seems so far away. I'm chomping at the bit over here!!! :cry:

Ryanzbane said:
Honestly...I've had to push back my new computer soooo many times now. July 22nd seems so far away. I'm chomping at the bit over here!!! :cry:

I'm in the same boat as Ryanzbane. All I need is a processor, optical drives and hard drives.

I see three options.

1)Wait for a Q6600
2)Wait for an E6750
3)Buy a 6420 now.

The quads do seem to run hot. Even with good air I wonder how far it will overclock.

If a 6420 would do 450 on the FSB should I go with that or wait for the E6750. I have read that the new stepping will run cooler than the 6420.

Hmm what to do? what to do?

dudleycpa said:
I'm in the same boat as Ryanzbane. All I need is a processor, optical drives and hard drives.

I see three options.

1)Wait for a Q6600
2)Wait for an E6750
3)Buy a 6420 now.

The quads do seem to run hot. Even with good air I wonder how far it will overclock.

If a 6420 would do 450 on the FSB should I go with that or wait for the E6750. I have read that the new stepping will run cooler than the 6420.

Hmm what to do? what to do?

I'd cut option 1, but the wait game is up to you. i think I could do it, but you are blowing most of your summer without a decent pc

july 22nd isnt that far away, imo its going to be worth waiting for the new steppings.

Evilsizer said:
july 22nd isnt that far away, imo its going to be worth waiting for the new steppings.

Thanks for your input. I was thinking of sending you a PM on this.

I don't mind waiting - heck five weeks isn't that long. I just hope everything else I have (i.e. motherboard, ram) is good.

dudleycpa said:
I see three options.

1)Wait for a Q6600
2)Wait for an E6750
3)Buy a 6420 now.

I'm most likely going with option 2. Does anyone have any info on the E6750 other then the release date?

Ryanzbane said:
I'm most likely going with option 2. Does anyone have any info on the E6750 other then the release date?

I looked but I don't see anything (other than what we already know):

New stepping - G0 1333FSB

I've got $1800 in my Commando setup but there was no way I could afford all that at once. So I just got the E6600 and an ASRock 775Dual-VSTA for $375 at first and have been incrementally upgrading all the other parts until I have my present rig.

Heck I could easily spend that much again adding just an Areca 3TB RAID 5 array and an 8800GTX card.

If you have the patience to slowly step into a killer system, it won't break the bank. You always feel like you are making progress rather than chomping at the bit while putting up with an old system for ages until you can save it all up.

Audioaficionado said:
If you have the patience to slowly step into a killer system, it won't break the bank. You always feel like you are making progress rather than chomping at the bit while putting up with an old system for ages until you can save it all up.

Yea, I've realized that and have just recently began to slowly purchase hardware for my new rig. I currently have my new case (Raidmax RX-9) and I'm going to be purchasing my monitor (Samsung 22"}, Power Supply (Hiper 530W modular), Sleeving Material (UV Yellow), Heatsink (Ultra 120 Extreme), HS Fan (Silverstone 110CFM), Case Fans (Purple LED), and Case lighting (15" UV Cathode) within the next few weeks. At least it'll give me something to do while I wait for price drops on processors, and graphic cards.

Ryanzbane said:
At least it'll give me something to do while I wait for price drops on processors, and graphic cards.

I did something similar. Problem is that some stuff (memory) might be "bad" and the 30 day period has expired. I did this with some Ballistix that I got. I have no idea if they work or not. I figure Cruical's RMA department will take good care of me if I have any problem.

You might need to lap that Ultra - although mine looks pretty good.

Ryanzbane said:
Yea, I've realized that and have just recently began to slowly purchase hardware for my new rig. I currently have my new case (Raidmax RX-9) and I'm going to be purchasing my monitor (Samsung 22"}, Power Supply (Hiper 530W modular), Sleeving Material (UV Yellow), Heatsink (Ultra 120 Extreme), HS Fan (Silverstone 110CFM), Case Fans (Purple LED), and Case lighting (15" UV Cathode) within the next few weeks. At least it'll give me something to do while I wait for price drops on processors, and graphic cards.
skip that psu and get this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139001

dudleycpa said:
I did something similar. Problem is that some stuff (memory) might be "bad" and the 30 day period has expired. I did this with some Ballistix that I got. I have no idea if they work or not. I figure Cruical's RMA department will take good care of me if I have any problem.

You might need to lap that Ultra - although mine looks pretty good.

Well I'm not purchasing my memory quite yet, so I won't have to worry about any RMA issues. As for the lapping, yea I actually planned on trying it for the first time with the extreme. I've heard a lot of talk about the base being uneven and needing a good sanding. Even if that wasn't the case I was still going to try my hands at lapping since I've heard it drops temperature enough to make it worth while. I'm also going to try and lap my processor for the first time as well...hopefully I don't screw things up TOO bad :p

Ryanzbane said:
Whys that?
hiper is not known for hi quality psu's. i would put money on it that in no time you will be back here asking about psu's to replace the hiper.

www.jonnyguru.com

Ryanzbane said:
Well I'm not purchasing my memory quite yet, so I won't have to worry about any RMA issues. As for the lapping, yea I actually planned on trying it for the first time with the extreme. I've heard a lot of talk about the base being uneven and needing a good sanding. Even if that wasn't the case I was still going to try my hands at lapping since I've heard it drops temperature enough to make it worth while. I'm also going to try and lap my processor for the first time as well...hopefully I don't screw things up TOO bad :p
dont expect ddr2 to stay this cheap, its gonna back up and stay up. buy now while its cheap, RMA thru manufactures for ram isnt that bad.

Ryanzbane said:

Good for you I just wanted to share my experience.

Please be careful with the processor while you lap it. Your an intelligent person but it never hurts to be extra careful.

dudleycpa said:
Good for you I just wanted to share my experience.

Please be careful with the processor while you lap it. Your an intelligent person but it never hurts to be extra careful.

Any tips you'd like to share for lapping a processor would be appreciated. I'm sure it would take a lot to actually kill the processor...but like I said I've never done it before, so the chance of me screwing it up is higher then those that have.

Evilsizer said:
hiper is not known for hi quality psu's. i would put money on it that in no time you will be back here asking about psu's to replace the hiper.

www.jonnyguru.com

dont expect ddr2 to stay this cheap, its gonna back up and stay up. buy now while its cheap, RMA thru manufactures for ram isnt that bad.

Good info to know. I will go with the corsair PSU, and possibly purchase my memory in the next couple weeks. Thanks!

Back