• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 or E6600??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ryanzbane said:
Any tips you'd like to share for lapping a processor would be appreciated. I'm sure it would take a lot to actually kill the processor...but like I said I've never done it before, so the chance of me screwing it up is higher then those that have.

I would think that it would NOT take much to kill a processor. Get a wrist/grounding strap. Good cleaning afterward.

Look around here or PM someone who has done it. I'm sure Evilsizer has some real good suggestions. Batboy is also a wealth of infomation (as are others).

flyingfanatic33 said:
I might have to revoke my comment on the Q6600 running a 1333MHz FSB, we'll see. But I do know they will run at 2.66GHz.

I dunno where you are getting your information from but the Q6600 will be the SAME as it has always been. The Q6700 will run at 2.66GHz.

Inte.jpg

dudleycpa said:
I would think that it would NOT take much to kill a processor.

I think you would be surprised. I don't think it is that easy to break a C2D unless due to impact or electrical surge.

Any kind of lapping, even if not perfect will help a lot to reduce the temps. The main priority is to get it nice and flat. I was amazed how concave my E4300 was when I lapped it (same with the heatsink). Mine dropped 10C after lapping it. It is also good to pour a bit of water and dish soap on the sand paper to help it move more smoothly. Otherwise the cpu or heatsink bounces and vibrates a lot due to the friction (especially the heavy heatsinks).

Back