• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

QUESTIONS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
WOW GUYS, listen to this
I uninstalled both AI and XTU, with revo uninstaller (nothing left in registry)
I jump started
Then re flashed bios to make absolutely sure all was reset
Rebooted pc and it's hovering between 4.7 and 5.1?
Is there any common logic to this? Can you explain?

WOW GUYS, listen to this
I uninstalled both AI and XTU, with revo uninstaller (nothing left in registry)
I jump started
Then re flashed bios to make absolutely sure all was reset
Rebooted pc and it's hovering between 4.7 and 5.1?
Is there any common logic to this? Can you explain?
We've said this earlier to uninstall AI Suite as it can cause issues... I even made a joke just above about how bad it is. lol
It's like bizarro world where AI Suite is the method of overclocking that works.

AI Suite, most prefer to stay away from as it can sometimes cause more problems than good........ which is why a couple of us specifically told you to uninstall it.

Please stop reflashing your BIOS to make 'absoutely sure all was reset'. Simply resetting in the BIOS to optimized defaults does this... or there is a jumper on the board. You keep flashing it and something really bad may happen. That isn't the right way.

Last edited:
This is what I think. And I may be wrong.
This particular pc is good at 4.9 and anything below. Above 4.9 it will throttle.
So there's no point trying to push it further. There is certainly no point in Ai suite showing there's a turbo boost of 5.1. I know at 5 or 5.1 it will throttle. I am definitely going to uninstall AI suite for the last time.
QUESTION
AI suite does have one useful feature: the fan control. How do i control fans without Ai suite?

You're wrong. :)

While the VRMs are not the most robust, they aren't holding you back.

Thermal throttling has to do with your COOLER on the CPU, not the board. If you're reaching 100C and throttling thermally, it is because of your heatsink/cooler. If you are seeing current or power limit throttling, there should be settings to raise those values.

You can control fans through the BIOS or I think in Armory Crate software. Mine are all static and set to as low as they can go...

Good, I am glad to be wrong. So you are saying I should buy a new cooler? Or mess with the throttling settings? OR BOTH. I have no money problems I can buy any cooling system on the market. Please specify what settings I can alter.
This is the current (cheap) cooler I have.
CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2, Close-Loop AIO CPU Liquid Cooler, 240 Radiator, Dual SickleFlow 120mm, RGB Lighting, 3rd Gen Dual Chamber Pump for AMD Ryzen/Intel LGA1200/1151.
If you have a preferred cooling solution please advise. (I mean which alternate cooler, not the (solution or liquid that goes inside)

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

a pea size shape blob of thermal paste smack bang in the middle upper surface of the processor is a good method right? Then wiggle like crazy whilst applying pressure and clamping down?
I have seen people making a cross with thermal paste?
Your thoughts?

If you are consistently thermally throttling trying to reach your goal, a new cooler could help. That said, the ML240L should be good to 5GHz with that CPU, so I wouldn't run off and buy anything else before you tried reseating it and reapplying thermal paste. I'm not really clear on your CPU temperatures at 1.30 or 1.35V and 5GHz during AIDA so, not sure.

I specified already what settings to alter earlier... I even posted pictures of them (Turbo mode parameters).

At 5 my temps are too high way too high (90-100). I just read that I can put 3 360mm fans on this case CORSAIR R275 AIRFLOW . I did not know that. I thought two 240 fans was a maximum. Wow this changes everything

All i see are two pages of your bios settings, are those the turbo mode settings?

Please confirm I have to copy these exact settings into my bios?

As far as fans... front/sides = intake, top/rear should be exhaust. Before you go off buying fans thinking it will be a miracle worker, run your case with the side fan off and see how much of a difference it makes...

As I just said above, TURBO MODE PARAMETERS. Raise them as high as they will go.... what I said earlier when I posted those BIOS screenshots. The other page was simply an example of how my CPU is set.

Last edited:
let me run aida and coretemp again on 5

As far as fans... front/sides = intake, top/rear should be exhaust. Before you go off buying fans thinking it will be a miracle worker, run your case with the side fan off and see how much of a difference it makes...

As I just said above, TURBO MODE PARAMETERS. Raise them as high as they will go.... what I said earlier. The other page was simply an example of how my CPU is set.

I have two intake fans (240mm) in front that blow air through the inside radiator. The two top fans (120mm) exhaust air. There is a back fan (120mm) exhausting air also. Is this correct?
You are saying in bios (ai tweaker) there's a TURBO MODE PARAMETER heading? I should go in and raise limits?

I have two intake fans (240mm) in front that blow air through the inside radiator. The two top fans (120mm) exhaust air. There is a back fan (120mm) exhausting air also. Is this correct?
Is that front/sides = intake and top/rear = exhaust as I just said? Then yes.
You are saying in bios (ai tweaker) there's a TURBO MODE PARAMETER heading? I should go in and raise limits?
That is what I just said, yes.

My man, this is getting old having to incessantly repeat ourselves and confirm. I understand you are new to this, but the instructions are right there in front of you on what to do.

That said, I'm spent here... surely others will be able to assist. Best of luck to you. :)

Did search in Bios for Turbo because off hand I could not find the parameters.
Found 2

1. Intel turbo boost max technology 3.0 is set to ENABLED
2. Turbo mode is set to ENABLED

As for instructions right in front of me, I do not agree. You sent me your bios pictures but it was unclear if I should copy your settings into my machine. The instructions I have thus far, is
bios-ai tweaker-turn off xmp-manual-set cores to 49 or 50 - sync all cores-set override voltage to 1.30-find turbo mode and turn it on. Then test with Aida and core temp.

I have not received any instructions on how to get rid of throttling at 5.0 or 5.1

I have not received any instructions on how to get rid of throttling at 5.0 or 5.1

We went over that in post 79, 85 and 87, bud...

Good luck to you. :)

Last edited:
i can confirm at 49 during stress test that temps fluctuate between 76c max 85c. I will check above posts

Please confirm that these two settings have to be input into my bios?

Long duration package power limit 250
Short duration package power limit 255

I confirm I have changes these values and did an XTU stress test at 5.0. I do get throttling but MUCH less often. Only just now figured out there's a SEARCH feature in bios, so do not have to look for stuff manually.
So with these values set at 250 and 255 still some throttling.
Earthdog!!! Please come back!!!

Just to be 100% sure I am returning the coolermaster and bought a fractal design 3 fan cooler. I'm not taking any risks with these temperatures. It's not normal getting temps of 90c at 5

Found this video which explains everything step by step for newbies like me

It worked, I am stable at 5.0 with temps around 80-87 and no throttling. Cinebench score 5169. Very happy....finally...
The Asus z490 is slightly different when you get to Internal Cpu management but the values can be found later on in the bios.

Earth, again thank you for your time. The video took me step by step into the whole bios "in sequence" telling me exactly what to change and what not to change.
The video also shows a newbie where each value is in the bios. The problem I was having with your instructions is that I did not know where those values were inside the bios.
I did later find out the bios has a search feature, but it's not very intuitive.
In brief, your instructions are valid only if a user knows where to go into the bios.

Please let me know what values I have to change to try a 5.1? Voltage? what else?
I tried a 5.1 at 1.4 and pc crashed

By the way. Stress testing at 5 was good although temps did go all the way up to 89.
I settled for this cooler finally EK 360mm AIO D
I did reseat the coolermaster 240 as you kindly suggested, but still get temps of 80-89 @ 5

Back