• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacement motherboard for q8300?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DRA

Registered
I have a 3yo Dell that just died on me. Pretty sure it was the motherboard. It has a q8300 processor. I posted a thread a few years ago looking for overclocking options for the chip http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646931 but I never got around to it... It was suggested that I get something with a p45 chipset like the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P or the Azus p5ql-e. Ebay has them for ~150.

3 years later, I'm wondering if there are any other options that are better and/or cheaper. I don't need anything fancy. I don't game and don't need multi vga capabilities or usb 3 or even gigabit ethernet. What I want is a no frills motherboard that I can use to overclock the q8300 processor (air cooled) so that I can get a lil more juice out of a 3yo+ chip.

Any suggestions?

Also any suggestions on where to look to buy other than ebay?

Here is the original Dell spec sheet on my computer (it's based on the specific computer I ordered not the generic model line) Click on "components" to expand.
http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/servicetag/1w0tml1
The only upgrade I have is a EVGA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB Video Card and a 450w Corsai PSU.

Thanks!

@ DRA The 2 motherboards i can see still available on the net are these! AJ. :thup:

1, Asus P5G41T-M LX Motherboard.

2, Asrock P5B-DE-Motherboard.

The Asus would be my choice as that supports DDR3 @ 1333. Both motherboards support overclocking in the Bios, one even does this in Auto as well as Manuel. ;)

P.S. The reason i did not post any links as it show in UK don't know if Amazon USA has these in stock i hope this helps you! :thup:

Grab something used on Ebay, anything P45, X38 or X48 should do you just fine.
Do make sure it uses the same type of RAM that you have!

Thanks! I still have 2 2gb ddr2 memory from the dead computer. How significant is the difference between that and ddr3? is it worth upgrading to ddr3 if I'm getting a new motherboard anyways? I am looking to save money but if the motherboard prices are basically the same and ddr3 is relatively cheap with good boost in performance I'd get it, but if there is no major difference...

thanks!

Back