• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sata 101

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I didnt really understand hot swapping or didnt believe it not that id do it but its useful to know

I recently added another drive to my rig, a Western Digital 250G, 16Mb cache, SATA II. My motherboard is only SATA I compatible so I was only going to get transfer rates of 150. It seems to be working fine, but I decide to check my system stats using "Everest" and it listed the new drives transfer rates below:

Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 6 (ATA-133)
Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 6 (ATA-133)

Does this mean that its only operating at UATA speeds instead of SATA I speed?

Jibjo said:
Thank you for the linky to nlite and those instructions. People should know also that Seagate makes it really easy to install Windows onto a fresh SATA Barracuda drive in a new build: Before you install WinXP you boot (do the BIOS switch to boot from CD) with the Seagate INSTALL CD which lets you (a)format, (b)partition, and (c) get ready to install OS. After this utility, there is no need to use a floppy, as WinXP fully installs without a pause. At least it worked for my little Shuttle.

same with hitachi deskstar sataII great utilities disk for new setup

great guide lots of good questions and answers very helpful

Last edited:
I had some questions about using a SATA drive in My PATA drive systema and this sticly answered it. All I need now is a controller card and I am in business with SATA. I thought that I needed a new mobo.

Is it true there is no such thing as SATA2 cables for Sata2 drives ?

SATA is SATA, the only thing i can think of as to why they would label SATAII. is because it has more sheilding but after comparing both, ones that came with my motherboards. to ones that i bought, labeled as SATAII, they have the same amount of shielding. no i didnt cut the cables since i needed to use them...

Back