• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serious problem with my cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mflek

Ok this has been happening since I bought this pc. I think it has at least. Ever since I got it preformance has always been intermitent. looks great for a breif moment and then it looks like crap (video games).

I recently got cpu-z to see if i could take my time overclocking it using guides from this site. I noticed some behavior that is reminicent of the experience I have had over the past few months. I made some tagless YouTube videos to show you guys first hand hopefully this will be enough for you guys to give me some insight into my issue.

about 5 minutes of stress without overclocking just stock bios settings(simulating a video game in my mind)

about 5 mins in with overclock

webcam footage of the problem I have been having regardless of overclocking. (happened since I got it before I tried overclocking to fix)

AMD fx-8350
990FXA-UD5 R5

Last edited:
I looked at the first and second video and I don't see a problem? That said, I don't run the CPUz bench... Can you describe the issue you are having?

What is the problem in the 3rd video? Where (time wise) does it show the problem???

Score (speed) fluctuating a lot more on 2nd video and screen turning off for a couple seconds (small image) at around 1m on 3rd video ?

yes the screen blacks out. it happens around the same amount of times as the cpu fluctuates

I wonder if you are throttling on the CPU due to its temperatures or the VRM's temps.

I would use Hwmonitor to check max temps while stock and overclocking.

I think I ran that benchmark in CPUz once... and it fluctuates. Let me try it on my work PC and see if that is normal...

EDIT: Mine is similar...it tends to bounce around a bit. Im not sure you have a problem. I would still check temps though to make sure.

I wonder if you are throttling on the CPU due to its temperatures or the VRM's temps.

I would use Hwmonitor to check max temps while stock and overclocking.

I think I ran that benchmark in CPUz once... and it fluctuates. Let me try it on my work PC and see if that is normal...

EDIT: Mine is similar...it tends to bounce around a bit. Im not sure you have a problem. I would still check temps though to make sure.

Prior to making these videos I actually took off the cpu cooler and re applied thermal paste because I thought that maybe I had used to little. Temps didnt improve much. The pump seems to be running at full speed and with the fan at 100% the temp only drops about 1-2 degrees which is pretty good but i didnt even over clock it very much.

Pump? You have an AIO water cooler? Please list your complete system specifications, including the case and fan location + what direction they are blowing. :)

I've never used that bench either but one thing you can do is watch the CPU speed in HWMonitor. If the CPU speed is dropping during the bench it's likely throttling. In BIOS make sure you have HPC enabled

I figured it out guys!!! YAYYYYYYYY

It was a power supply issue. I bought this power conditioner to protect my computer and I guess I was drawing to much power through it. I had pc, monitor, modem, router, and speakers all connected to the conditioner. I switched over my pc and monitor to the grounded side of the conditioner (just a plain surge protected outlet for each) and the damn problem went away.

That's good news, if you plan on OCing there's a guide in my sig and enable that HPC setting

Back