• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I water cool My GPU or MY CPU or both with one loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hoplayarak

Registered
Hello Guys I want to water cool my system.. The thing is I couldnt decide on which unit I should cool.. GPU or CPU or can single loop handle both my cpu and gpu?

The custom cooling kit I have is Thermaltake Pacific RL360 D5 Hard Tube
the kit also include watercooling cpu block but since I have a asus poseidon rog 1080 ti as my graphics card it also comes with a liquid cooling block out of the box
system is aircooled now and has no sound or heat issues.. But heatsink on my cpu feels a bit too big visually so I actually want to get rid of it and since my gpu comes with a liquid cooling block I dont want to leave it experiencing lack of water cooling

please help

Last edited:
There was a time when we had no problem having both CPU and GPU in the same loop. While there are ways to still do that, since your vid card is already AIO, I'd leave that as is and put together a nice loop for the CPU.

It would depend on how much rad you can fit in your case.
can you fit a nice, big, thick rad in your case?

...since your vid card is already AIO, I'd leave that as is and put together a nice loop for the CPU.
He doesn't have an AIO on the GPU. There is just a combo air and liquid cooler on it. ;)

Assuming the kit you bought fits the case (his kit comes with a radiator), the 1080Ti is a 250W card and we are not sure what CPU you have. a 3.120mm will cool a 300W load but that is about it to where you see the real benefits (quiet and better temps). The same loop is fine. :)

Last edited:
What direction do yoy want to hear? Youll be fine with a 3x120 worth of radiator cooling those two. It may not be as good as two radiators, but it will be better than air. If you have room in your case, get another 2x120mm radiator.

Please create a signature with your system specs so we know what you are working with. ;)

I am not working, I am trying to watch the lights but this heatsink is too big
IMG_20170919_040925.jpg

case is v51 core riing, its a mid-tower but it is bigger than some full towers

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-compare.aspx?id=C_00003130,C_00002696, here is a comparison with a full tower

and it says for radiator support:
Front:
360mm
1 x 420mm
Top:
1 x 360mm
1 x 420mm
Rear:
1 x 120mm
Bottom:
1 x 240mm
so what would u do with water cooling if u were doing it and have the same kit?

Last edited:
OP, all the information you're asking is on TT's site. I did the research and found any questions you may have on there. Will the rad be enough for a CPU + GPU loop? Sure but if you want quieter with slightly better temps, you'll need one more rad. I could do the research for you but this is where you will shine and read our intro to watercooling above in the stickies of this section. Learn on how it all works and how to maintain the loop. Everyone goes through all of that whether you're doing it for performance, bling or both.

:welcome: to OCFs btw.

The RL360 radiator is pretty good at cooling. It's a thick radiator, so make sure you have the depth for it too. It will handle cooling your CPU and GPU fine, but like others said adding another radiator will be better.
BUT! something to watch out for if you're adding in anything to the RL360 kit (changing CPU block, GPU block, another radiator, etc) is that the TT radiator is Aluminum.

Thanks for your kind comments guys.. I still havent done anything with the kit yet..I would like to start ASAP but I dont want to do anything that I regret later so Im trying to not to rush it much..
I didnt know RL 360 radiator was made of aliminum, where can I get that information?
and if I am not wrong my GPU waterblock is made of copper so shouldnt I attach it in the same loop?

Their site probably gives you that information.

I would look at our water cooling guides in order to get some basic info under your belt. :)

I didnt know RL 360 radiator was made of aliminum, where can I get that information?
and if I am not wrong my GPU waterblock is made of copper so shouldnt I attach it in the same loop?
EarthDog said:

EarthDog is correct, it is listed right on the TT site:
RL Series Radiators

They do claim their C1000 fluid will prevent issues between materials, but I would not trust it.

I would look at our water cooling guides in order to get some basic info under your belt. :)

EarthDog is correct, it is listed right on the TT site:
RL Series Radiators

They do claim their C1000 fluid will prevent issues between materials, but I would not trust it.

It does not say aliminum it says zinc+aliminum alloy something.. talks about multiple metals.. so I am a bit confused here.. and yes Ive already read your beginners guide .. I mean I did not memorize every single letter in it but still read it and some other water cooling guides,videos .. I did not say I don`t have the information.. the thing is I have no experience on water cooling and thats why Im here

Yes we know that. What we're explaining is most of the information regarding the size of radiator support is listed on Thermaltake's site. The radiator is mostly comprised of aluminium, the cpu/gpu blocks are copper with the exception of EK's A-Series kits which the block(s) and radiator are aluminum. Now the question remains:

Do you have the budget to cool both the cpu and gpu? Do you want to go custom or an AIO kit?

And getting back to the question E_D asked: What is your system comprised of as far as hardware is concerned. Not if you're working (employment), it's to create a signature of your system's specs to help us help you with more useful info. To create a signature:

Go to upper right corner to settings
Scroll down on the left panel to "Edit Signature"
In the window panel post your pc's specs ie:
Motherboard
Cpu
Memory
Graphic card
Harddrive/SSD
Power supply
Case
Operating system

Not the technical information. Just brands and models of your hardware. A good example is my signature below this post in the center box under the line.

Yes we know that. What we're explaining is most of the information regarding the size of radiator support is listed on Thermaltake's site. The radiator is mostly comprised of aluminium, the cpu/gpu blocks are copper with the exception of EK's A-Series kits which the block(s) and radiator are aluminum. Now the question remains:

Do you have the budget to cool both the cpu and gpu? Do you want to go custom or an AIO kit?

And getting back to the question E_D asked: What is your system comprised of as far as hardware is concerned. Not if you're working (employment), it's to create a signature of your system's specs to help us help you with more useful info. To create a signature:

Go to upper right corner to settings
Scroll down on the left panel to "Edit Signature"
In the window panel post your pc's specs ie:
Motherboard
Cpu
Memory
Graphic card
Harddrive/SSD
Power supply
Case
Operating system

Not the technical information. Just brands and models of your hardware. A good example is my signature below this post in the center box under the line.

As far as I know for a cooling advice the details should be known are the
units planning to get cooled which are
CPU Intel7700 K socket:1151 already mentioned
GPU Asus ROG Posedion 1080 ti already mentioned/seen above
. AND
case (clearence in the case) Thermaltake core v51 riing edition already mentioned/seen above
power supply corsair 1200 hx seen above

But if you want to handle all the details I really dont mind

SO
Case: Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition
Power Supply: CORSAIR HX 1200 W
Mainboard: ASUS MAXIMUS CODE IX
CPU: Intel 7700K Unlocked
CPU Cooler :Cooler Master Hyper 612 v2
GPU: ASUS ROG Posedion 1080 Ti
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GBx x4 64GB 3000 Mhz
Case Fans : Thermaltake Stock (1x140mm exhaust, 2x140mm intake)
Mouse: RAZER Mamba Chroma
Keyboard : RAZER Blackwidow Chroma
Headset: RAZER Kraken 7.1 Chroma
Mousepad: RAZER Firefly Speed Chroma
and Thermaltake RL360 D5 hardtube rgb watercooling kit which is waiting to get installed of course...
now you have the details roughly..

and in addition to its air cooling since my GPU is with a water cooling block out of the box as I already mentioned above ;it wont cause any extra costs if I mount it in the same loop without adding a spare radiator..
But the real question is should I cool both with the same loop same radiator.. or should I add another one .. how mandy degrees celcius wil it differ will I encounter any corrosion issues or will I more likely get corrosion issues if a connect them in the same loop.. Im all welcome to these answers but more irrelevant bs questions which are already answered.. Really.. ?

Last edited:

I showed you how to make a signature, yet you keep posting in the thread along with all the useless info we don't need. Make the signature as I showed you. DO NOT POST MOUSE, KEYBOARD, HEADSET, MOUSEPAD.
If you create the signature with the required info, we can help you faster.

Posting the way you do is not beneficial and tells us you're not listening/reading.

Yeah you got to a point but still far from there
I dont prefer advertising my equipments like a little high school kid dealing with teenage issues, if I would; all the unnecessary details would already be in my signature..
Rather than that Ive provided all the information needed for an experienced water cooling system user to give me reasonable advices instead of telling me how to edit my profile..
So I expect some reasonable advices from some experienced users rather than some kids messing around...

But the real question is should I cool both with the same loop same radiator.. or should I add another one .. how mandy degrees celcius wil it differ will I encounter any corrosion issues or will I more likely get corrosion issues if a connect them in the same loop.. Im all welcome to these answers but more irrelevant bs questions which are already answered.. Really.. ?
1. Already answered. You can use that rad and be fine. How many C would it make a difference, we wouldn't know.. a few? It is hard to tell honestly since there are so many variables involved.
2. Corrosion issues. You shouldnt mix metals. This was in the guide. However, if they have a product that says it prevents it, my opinion is to use it.
3. Really. Adding data in your signature is not for bragging rights. Clearly people ASKED you for it. Its not like you put it out there like a teen trying to brag... comes on now! Its so the information is there on your posts and nobody has to go scrolling for it when trying to help.

That said, so long as you have enough barbs and tubing. I say get cracking!!! If you are concerned about temps, then get another rad. Which rad? What size will fit in your case (mfg website will tell you). Buy it, install with other parts.. PROFIT. :)

Happy to help again if needed...

Thanks for the quick response...

Ive just come across something like this

This review is from: ASUS ROG Poseidon GeForce GTX 1080 TI 11GB Platinum Edition DP HDMI DVI Gaming Graphics Card (ROG-POSEIDON-GTX1080TI-P11G-GAMING)
Pros: Very fast!! Easily keeps up single handed with my 2 xfx 4qfa fury x cards crossfired. Quiet even at 70% fan speed

Cons: Runs a bit more warm than I would have expected under water conditions due to very small passage in water block.
recommend separate loop for this card if you are running with 1/2 inch I.D. tubing as the card will restrict flow and raise temps.
<= that may also be considered .. my tubing is 5/8" so?? pffff
Other Thoughts: Higher flow rate water block comparable to and aftermarket brand would be good.

Back