• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I water cool My GPU or MY CPU or both with one loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
looking good, don't fully agree with the excess of bends in it but its your system :)

I totally agree.. I am getting higher temperatures because of the excessive bends.. At least they are higher than room temperature with just a bit of overclocking (5.0ghz) I also cant place my glass dolphin everywhere in the case because of that bends inside BTW MOBO shows CPU temp ... HERE you go ..
DJI_0224L.jpg
Do you think I should put some ice cubes inside my reservoir asap?

- - - Updated - - -

Very colorful indeed!

I
am very colourful as well

Last edited:
Temperatures are always going to be higher than ambient/room temp. I don't recall what hardware you have in there (love for you to create that signature... ;)), but 5Ghz on anything will be WELL above ambient temps. What are your temps after stress testing at 5Ghz for 30 mins? Your loop takes time to warm up and saturate. What about gaming after a while? What were peak temps there? Your XTU test shows 79C after 5 mins...that is well above room temp.

Also, sensors are known to be inaccurate down low...they need to be and do get more accurate closer to the processors max temps (100C for thermal throttling).

Ice cubes? LOL, no.

Bends do not increase temperature directly. One of the things that do increase the temperature is the flow reduction (due to the lenght and the turns that the liquid is forced to take which actually exponentially decrease your flow compared to regular resistance of the tubes), liquid likes to take it easy and go straight as much as possible and least amount of resistance, bends do increase this resistance and some of those 180 degrees bend you made do decrease the flow ALOT)
In short decrease the lenght of your tubing and decrease the number of bends. For example the tubing running from the res to the GPU is 3 times longer then necessary even including the flow meter which imo has no use except for aesthetics. The gpu to CPU tubing could be reduced simply by using a straight fitting.
res to gpu: 3 90 degrees bends should be more then enough
gpu to cpu: 1 90 degree bend
the rest is fine except for them not being straight, this can ofcourse be forgiven:p

on your temps, do remember that heat transfer decreases (it takes more time) the smaller the ▲T , reaching ambient is nearly impossible and not worth it considering the noise it will make. Balance temperature and noise, and 5 ghz (is not a mild overclock. do realise that your gpu at stock is around 250W and your cpu overclocked is around 150W thats a total of 400W that needs to be cooled through the loop (not taking into account the heat produced by the pump ofcourse): the rads thickness, total cooling surface (fins per cm²), material used for heat transfer (thermal conductivity coefficient or λ) and the water flow (trust me there is more but lets keep it "simple"). make a fancy calculation out of this (or formula if you want, cba to make one tbh) and you get your temperature above ambient.

its a asus board, do they still lie approx 10 degrees?
if ure getting all the jokes serious.. Let me be a bit serious .. that ice cube thing was a total joke and the bends causing the excessive heat was a joke being unable to place dolphin was a joke.. its on the exact place where I wanted it to be.. and No offence I literally had cooled thousands tons of water within the years I have some clues about how does water cooling work(Not a joke) having lots of information is something givin that information life is some other .-) and if I have any problems with temps I know more serious ways to express them I suppose...
But still thanks
At worse scenerio I have some precautions
IMG_20171031_192632.jpg
(this chiller is mine but unless I get into mass mining business using mineral oil it will stay as a joke)

And me talking about the (room)ambient temperature was irony not a joke.. It was the way of me saying " it is already almost as cool as possible"
if you have a pump and radiators which is on the limits of your loop then i agree you have to calculate every slight bend you make with the pipes.. but when blowing through (and sucking/pulling whatever) 2x 360rads with 9x120mm fans using around1000L/h D5 pump and 16mm tubing, every bend you make wont destroy the planet and you wont be obligated to reinvent the fibonacci series.. Long story short IMPO and as I experience even it loses some performance in time a 1200L/h durable pump porovides more flow and pressure than enough for single cpu and gpu loop with 2 rads even one makes unusual bends .
For your information
Specs :http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002705
I know limiting factors like surface area but they are 120mms, not storm so to a point, increasin your fans =increasing the silence
America is there ..But if you want to reinvent/rediscover it no one can Stop you ..Live Long Conqueror!

the rest is fine except for them not being straight, this can ofcourse be forgiven:p

Thanks for mentioning.. Making them directly straight is not my thing... But bending them straight according to each other, which we call "parallel" to each other but antiparallel to case is definitely my thing..Harder but more sophisticated and original.in the exact shape I wanted them to be .. So you not forgiving me forever will be an honour for me I like to see my setup is not for everyone else.. and I hope one day you will have much better setups than this one.. I would like to see it.. But more up to date than the one with diamond monster 3dfx

Last edited:
Clearly, sarcasm is tough to see with the written word in many cases. ;)

its a asus board, do they still lie approx 10 degrees?
Maybe on AMD boards? Never heard that with Intel. ;)

I couldnt find anywhere to mount them so I put 2 of them(LL120 fans) inside as decorative only items..
is it good?
28sc391.jpg

After I put my non spinning decorative only fans inside, here is a very short CPU bench with a MILD overclock.. May be these fans provided my PC a mood lift even if 2 of them are not spinning.
2cndpic.jpg .
I asssume that "my unnecessary bends" are not making it boil?

and yes its 1.480V

Last edited:
Screencaps....they take me back to the 90s. :)

1.48V/5.2GHz and 59C....magic. What temps do xtu show after 30 mins? You running the gpu too? What temperatures do prime 95 show after 30+ mins?

If you are temp testing, water takes longer to saturate and normalize than air.

A potato... how fitting!

I use intel extreme tuning utility because temps tend to get higher in comparison to other bench utilites..
Im using 5.200 Mhz constantly (adaptive) so I suppose its already saturated..
On full load at 5.2Ghz; when it peaks, it jumps till 69C .. But no more..

BTW second one is not a screenshot
and yes Im cooling my GPU in the same loop as well

Last edited:
It isn't saturated until its tested full load for at least 30 mins. ;)

I'm absolutely amazed at your temperatures. But as I said, test them both so you can see your worst case scenario... Run XTU for 30 minutes while running a 3D benchmark at the same time (perhaps Unigine Heaven).

1.48V is A LOT of voltage for keeping it 24/7.

Yes, first is a screenshot, 2nd (with the potato) is a screencap. Funny ;)

Thanks again for the random share!

In adaptive mode Mobo does not constantly feed cpu with 1.48 volts.. As the processes increase,CPU clock speeds up and at the same time; mobo increases voltage till 1.480 to keep it more stable..At least Ive set it up this way in my setup which is a.k.a. Project Patates

Right. I get that it is not sitting at 1.48V+ the whole time, but, that is still a high peak.

Enjoy your machine!

Back